Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2018, 00:51   #76

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Survey: what modifications are needed for the aging sailor

Can only tell what works for us - I am 72 and Patty is 70 - we start our 11th year underway this spring -- at age 70 and 68 we circum nav the Black Sea - we do a lot of miles each year - We sail a Jeanneau DS40 that we bought new in 2003 that has inmast furling, electric anchor winch, swim platform that makes dink boarding easier, a 5hp 2 stroke dink motor that I do not need a crane for and gets us around nicely and water maker
first we are lucky that God gave us good bodies that we do abuse regularly but we keep pushing it
second we have had our problems but push through them or adapt and Patty has enough sense to make sure I understand my limitations - I have 2 shoulders being held together with screws - that makes things like sanding the bottom a lot of over head work hard and tiring - so we hire some of that -
as for going up the mast I use to be an old mountaineer and rock climber and still go up the mast with rock climbing equipment but sometimes Patty insists that I not do it but not always -
We are now more likely to be a bit more cautious in our sailing scheme and if things turn bad will set a bit longer than perhaps in the past. We still do some long sails - last one was a 3 day from Russia to Ukraine - and they do not bother us -
Part is our attitude and we keep within what we consider our zone of comfort - but that does not mean we don't get outside of it as sometimes regardless of how hard we try the weather is not what it is suppose to be and we just deal with it -
This summer we are only planning on a short year with maybe 1,500-1,800nm and we will be in by mid sept for other reasons but in 2019 we are planning on a long 12month sailing season (we plan God decides) including a crossing -
I guess we don't consider ourselves old as each time I look at pretty young lady Patty asks me what I would do if I could actually catch her and we both laugh - what I am trying to say is some of it is mental and part physical
on that last point - I use to teach high angle rock rescue and had to requalify myself every 2 years - the last time I tested the test panel told those present that to bad they did not video it as what they saw was perfection - there was nothing to discuss or any issues - it was perfect - when I got into my car with my kids I told them I would never climb again - they said why as I was so perfect - my response was I was at 100% on the rock and if one thing went wrong the outcome would not be positive and that was not acceptable - the only thing I climb now is my mast -
It is knowing yourself and recognizing what you can and cannot do - we hope we recognize when it is time for us to stop but for now it is let's see what is on the other side of that horizon
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:50   #77

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Some great tips here and definitely worth considering. For those who are zeroing in on health and exercise, I’d like to share some beliefs and info.

I don’t think there are easy generalizations to make for people who have injuries or other handicap issues. We are dealt certain cards and we need to play them to make the best of things. That said:

Aging is inevitable. There are things we all can do to delay our physical decline and avoid or reverse chronic illness: Including bone loss, cardiovascular disease, autoimmune diseases, cancer, and maintaining agility. We are either “in training” for the long haul, or we are more likely to be early victims of the medical system.

The first thing many of us need to do if we want to be agile is control our weight. We must burn the calories we eat or we will get fat. Or fatter. Binge diets don’t work (for long) -it must be a lifestyle choice, and I think Weight Watchers has the best approach to helping people modify and regulate overeating behavior.

I know some of you will disagree, but I don’t think the activity of sailing (itself) is vigorous or persistent enough to be considered good exercise. (If you disagree, you need to put down your coffee or beer and up your game.). Yoga, body weight/core exercises, aerobic exercise, and other types of stretching and resistance training need to be carried far enough to cause a fatigue state. No one thing is enough. Unless conditions are calm underway, mostly this needs to be done at anchor or in port, when possible. When conditions are rough we get more exercise sailing, but still not enough.

The above activity can cure and/or many agility and chronic pain issues (e.g. back problems).

As for diet; The standard American and European diet is killing us. There is a wealth of scientific study available providing evidence that a whole-foods plant-based diet does prevent or reverse cardiovascular diseases and some cancers, reverse/cure type 2 diabetes, prevents osteoporosis, reduces arthritis inflammation, and improves general immune system health. My wife and I have been on such a diet for more than 6 years, and at 64 and 66 we don’t feel deprived of good tasting foods, nor need any medications (which we hope to avoid as long as possible). I don’t want to go too far into this, but if anyone wants more info I suggest you start by watching the 90 minute video “FORKS OVER KNIVES” (Netflix or Amazon) then browse to the https://nutritionfacts.org web site where Dr. Greger documents more research on this. If you know someone who has type 2 diabetes, read this link https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/200...c/diabetes.htm . Also, feel free to PM me about how to make this work as part of a sailing life (in many ways it simplifies food storage and food handling safety).

To summarize, my single main point is that if we want to age gracefully we must be ACTIVE about it, we need to make choices and changes, and if we aren’t taking action — the inevitable will happen sooner rather than later.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:57   #78

Boat: Island Packet 40

The most important modification is the ones inside the head.

A couple of decades ago I had a computer stolen from my vehicle. It was an old superseded computer I wanted a spreadsheet from. As I was walking away, starting to get angry I realized that I was about to lose a couple of days of peace-of-mind and to avoid this needed to change my perception of the incident. I then realized that at the center of the problem was the word stolen. In a brilliant flash of inspiration I changed the word "stolen" with "disencumbered". I was going to get the file off the computer then take it back and store it in my home office. It would be a nuisance for the next five years and eventually I would have to oblige myself to overcome the hoarder instinct and throw it away. The "disencumberer" (previously a thief doing me a disservice) had come to my assistance and relieved me of these potential problems.

I've had a fair bit of success in the years since using this technique.

The latest incident occurred a few days ago because I had undertaken a 4,000 nm coastal cruise and missed renewing the registration on the old van I use as a mobile workshop/storage facility.

I went to the state government's transport department and explained the circumstances to the bureaucrat behind the counter in the hope that even though I was now outside the grace period they would not require me to carry out the road worthy inspection, which costs between $100-200, they use to punish infringements of their rules. The response from the bureaucrat was "YOU VIL OBEY". Riding away on my push bike I began to cook up a good head of frustration until I recalled my "if you can't change the circumstance change your perception" philosophy.

Abandoning my mental voyage into frustration I realized that in about another month I will embark upon my winter cruise from which I will not return to my summer quarters until January next year, If she had allowed me to renew the registration it would have been from the October last year expiry and consequently I'd need to renew it in October and if the vehicles in storage until January next year it does not need to be insured.

With the registration renewal and insurance the intransigent bureaucrat has saved me about $1,200. She didn't just make my day I'm still feeling smug about it four days later and just know that between now and January I will experience more moments of smug self satisfaction.

The most important modification you can make is reprogram the head, become fanatically pragmatic, be selfish - make the rest of your life your own, you've probably earned it, do not let false pride or vanity prevent you from playing the silly old bugger card if it gets you a good discount, avoids a parking ticket or reduces a speeding ticket and instead of buying presents for your ingrate off-springs tell them you forgot their birthday and shout yourself a good restaurant meal and the second bottle of good wine.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:00   #79

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Chronological age is irrelevant. I have met 70-80 yr olds who can't get out of a chair and live in a nursing home. I know others who can do one handed pull ups of the pulpit or run sub 4hr marathons. Capacity at this age depends on both training and physiological age. For most it reflects your long term lifestyle although luck and genes do play a part.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 14:45   #80

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor1924 View Post
Hi Ann;

I'm curious if you tried the backflip into the dinghy. And if so, what your experience?
Hi, there, Sailor,

No, I haven't tried it. It may well not work for me with our bigger dinghy. Right now, where we are, it's cool enough that i am not attracted into the water, although local people find it warm enough. I haven't been swimming for a while. But, it is a pretty slick maneuver, and I would think someone who is confident in the water, could pull it off. We have only their word for it that it is "easy".

If you try it before I do, remember to come back and tell us how it was.

Ann
Old 12-03-2018, 06:25   #81

Boat: Pearson Countess 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi, there, Sailor,

No, I haven't tried it. It may well not work for me with our bigger dinghy. Right now, where we are, it's cool enough that i am not attracted into the water, although local people find it warm enough. I haven't been swimming for a while. But, it is a pretty slick maneuver, and I would think someone who is confident in the water, could pull it off. We have only their word for it that it is "easy".

If you try it before I do, remember to come back and tell us how it was.

Ann
It's mighty cold here (NY) so no go for a while. I will try this over the next summer and report back.
sailor1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 16:07   #82

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

I'm 73, and have so much metal in my body I can set off airport detectors by just thinking about flying somewhere.
The best improvement in my "senior" sailing was exchanging monohull for multihull. It's amazing how much nimbler I am.
Or at least think I am.
Old 13-03-2018, 08:38   #83

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I'm 73, and have so much metal in my body I can set off airport detectors by just thinking about flying somewhere.
The best improvement in my "senior" sailing was exchanging monohull for multihull. It's amazing how much nimbler I am.
Or at least think I am.
Is it the lack of heeling you attribute it to? God bless you being able to sail at 73.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 20:59   #84

Cadence -

definitely the lesser amount of heeling, and, to some extent, the smaller sail plan. Smaller sails = less work.

This is not so true on the newer, larger multis, which tend to have larger rigs to
A) push around all those accommodations or
B) go extremely fast.

My Solaris Sunstar 36 cat is a 1992, and performs very well when compared to a cruising monohull of the same length and vintage. She was designed by Erik LeRouge which doesn't hurt.

Health being what it is, my lady has decided no more cruising for her, so the cat is on the market and I'll be looking for a folding trimaran in the 27' to 31' range.
Pictures and info on the cat are at the broker's website finishlineotc.com
Old 16-03-2018, 09:06   #85

Quote:
Cadence -

definitely the lesser amount of heeling, and, to some extent, the smaller sail plan. Smaller sails = less work.

This is not so true on the newer, larger multis, which tend to have larger rigs to
A) push around all those accommodations or
B) go extremely fast.

My Solaris Sunstar 36 cat is a 1992, and performs very well when compared to a cruising monohull of the same length and vintage. She was designed by Erik LeRouge which doesn't hurt.

Health being what it is, my lady has decided no more cruising for her, so the cat is on the market and I'll be looking for a folding trimaran in the 27' to 31' range.
Pictures and info on the cat are at the broker's website finishlineotc.com
Maybe someone else will look at her. I'm pushing 75 hard, is she wheel chair accessible. The bones are worn out.
Old 16-03-2018, 21:40   #86

I don't think she could be made wheelchair accessible easily, and if it was tried I don't think you would like the result. Perhaps a cat with an open bridgedeck, or at least a very large cockpit?
Old 17-03-2018, 08:23   #87

Quote:
I don't think she could be made wheelchair accessible easily, and if it was tried I don't think you would like the result. Perhaps a cat with an open bridgedeck, or at least a very large cockpit?
Wheel chair accessible was in jest. But some times you need to realize some things are no longer sensible. Such is life.
Old 17-03-2018, 09:15   #88

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Survey: what modifications are needed for the aging sailor

Saw this one in Oceanside California. [ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1667.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	166537  
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 22:11   #89

Boat: Island Packet 40

I was in Airlie beach a few years ago, standing on the dingy jetty when a dingy ran ashore and a folding wheelchair was placed over the side. The fellow in the dingy was a paraplegic and hoisted himself out of the dingy into the chair.

He appeared to be having trouble getting onto solid ground and I remarked that I was intending to assist him. One of the other folks warned me off stating that he was very independent and resented any implication that he could not handle all the activities to cruise his vessel as we did. The same person informed me that he had a partner also wheelchair dependent - in his terms they did not have a working leg between them.

On returning to my own vessel a passed the wheelchair dependent folk's boat and it had a dingy platform on the stern that they could maneuver the dingy onto which allowed the dingy to be hoisted to deck level for access and egress.

I was full of admiration for their engenuity and determination to maintain the cruising life style with the severity of the challenges they must encounter in doing so.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 15:37   #90

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Hi
the biologic clock tells me is time to get one of those electric Milwaukee units d.
What kind of bit you use to fit in the winch?
thank you
davil is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, survey