Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 00:01   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Summer's End

Here in the Aegean winter has made its first appearance, over two months after the number of yachts on the water plummets every year. I think we have shared our various anchorages over the last couple of months with no more than a total of half a dozen boats. Is this the same situation worldwide? Do the seas empty everywhere out of season?

By the way, when winter gales hit they come with a vengeance. For the last 5 years sometime between mid November and mid December we get hit by one storm.

This is the current weather forecast. It is the first time I have seen temps below 20C (68F) day or night, since last May. It feels FREEZING LOL. Winds are currently averaging in the low 30's, gusting to 40+, which makes me positively shiver when I stick my nose outside. A day for making pancakes and curling up with a good book and being very thankful for a decent anchor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8d4dea46ed93d4d89bf940b0d6232b32_zps14f7d076.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	49387  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 00:14   #2

Boat: Westerly Centaur
Re: Summer's End

Wintery here in Dublin too tho not so scenic.
I was admiring the view from the Temple of Poseidon at Cape Sunio in August this year while holidaying with my son and can,t wait to sail those azure seas.
On the verge of retirement so, fingers crossed, will have a share in those deserted anchorages next year.
PS Why not a yacht?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temple of Poesiedon, Cape Sunio, Greece..jpg
Views:	152
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	49388  
centaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:40   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Centaur
Come on down . Plenty of room and the azure waters are usually seemingly endless, although they are looking a little grey today.

PS In answer to your query, there was a long thread here a few months back about how only snobs have "yachts" LOL. In Australia (and NZ too) anything big enough to have a cabin is termed a yacht, but being a newbie on an international forum I am just minding my P's and Q's

Old 10-11-2012, 23:14   #4

[QUOTE=Seaworthy Lass;1079146]

PS In answer to your query, there was a long thread here a few months back about how only snobs have "yachts" LOL. In Australia (and NZ too) anything big enough to have a cabin is termed a yacht, but being a newbie on an international forum I am just minding my P's and Q's
[/QUOTE

Thanks S L.
Your boat, you choice.
Not too many snobs here in the harbour, mix of fishing trawlers, yachts/sail/power craft of all descriptions, tho the skipper, ex trawler man, of a very spruce 32ft,er insists on calling her a yacht
Nice autumn day here so heading out a few hours later, maybe fish across the low tide
Old 11-11-2012, 00:02   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post

Thanks S L.
Your boat, you choice.
Not too many snobs here in the harbour, mix of fishing trawlers, yachts/sail/power craft of all descriptions, tho the skipper, ex trawler man, of a very spruce 32ft,er insists on calling her a yacht
Nice autumn day here so heading out a few hours later, maybe fish across the low tide
My profile was just tongue in cheek, but I was really surprised how the term "yacht" is seen as pretentious, particularly by Americans. It would be really weird in Australia to call any sailing vessel with a cabin anything but a yacht (even a twenty footer). "Sailboats" in Australia are just dinghies.

The link to the discussion is:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ure-90231.html

Old 11-11-2012, 22:15   #6

Poor yanks, sail boat or yacht, who cares
I enjoyed the laid back Aussies and Kiwis I met on my short visits down under, caught my first and only Tuna off Auckland. Plan to return for a longer stay, maybe when Aurora is tied up for the winter.
Was out today, cold but dry and bright, had a great sail round Lambay and home in time for tea. Not the Med but close enough for now
I think that pilgrimage to Poseidon's Temple paid off, great sailing since I got back and only wetting has been sea spray.
Old 12-11-2012, 00:16   #7

In San Diego (N 32 degrees) the jet stream can dip down and it acts like a conveyor belt, tracking low pressure systems from the Gulf of Alaska along the west coast of the USA. Makes for some miserable weather when they're spaced out a few days on repeat for weeks. You have gale after gale with enough time to sort of dry out, then you get smacked with another one.

We're heading south to Mexico this time. Already here and I'm drooling looking at the water temperature. In a couple of weeks if all goes well we'll be in the sub tropics in 85f water. Can't wait. I'm bundled up in fleece right now with a blanket on.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote