Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2021, 05:27   #1

Suggestions for marinas/boatyards to look for FOR SALE signs-Ft Laud/Miami?

Looking around Ft. Lauderdale/ Miami (or beyond) areas for sailboats to purchase...not having much luck. Anyone with suggestions for boatyards or marinas where a guy could stroll around looking for FOR SALE signs? I've done the Yachtworld, internet thing (futile), brokers grrr. I thought maybe the old-fashioned poking around might turn up something. Thanks.
sambo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 06:05   #2

Re: Suggestions for marinas/boatyards to look for FOR SALE signs-Ft Laud/Miami?

If you want to browse, it is best to do it by boat. Lots of for sale boats tied up behind houses on the many canals. Start along the New River and branch out from there.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 06:16   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
If you want to browse, it is best to do it by boat. Lots of for sale boats tied up behind houses on the many canals. Start along the New River and branch out from there.
Yes, I tried doing just that yesterday out at New River but really couldn't figure out access. I could see masts sticking up here and there but drove around in circles trying to get to them with no luck. Finally gave up but might try again. Thanks for the reply.
Old 13-10-2021, 06:58   #4

If you are driving around by car you won't be able to tour very much of the waterway, and will find it hard to find very many of the boats at private docks.

You really need a small motorboat.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 07:04   #5

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Most likely a waste of time.

Most marinas in Florida have gates on the docks to prevent people from "strolling around"...........
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 09:02   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

Without knowing your preferences, it's hard to give you good advice. But, if you're looking for a good deal on a boat that might need some work, you might consider driving north to Fort Pierce and looking around Riverside Marina. It's more a work/storage yard than a marina. Another similar type of place is Indiantown Marina.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 09:06   #7

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Most likely a waste of time.

Most marinas in Florida have gates on the docks to prevent people from "strolling around"...........
What size of boat are you looking for? Anything worth much will usually be advertised somewhere useful rather than just an owner's for sale sign.

I wouldn't waste time tooling around in a boat for this. Unless you would be satisfied to buy almost any boat that will float.

Really ought to be some local sailing magazine, newpaper, whatever, that has many "want" ads either in print or online. And some marinas, marine equipment stores and yacht clubs have old fashioned bulletin boards.

What was wrong with an internet search? That's how I found my boat after our broker missed it.
Old 13-10-2021, 10:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
What size of boat are you looking for? Anything worth much will usually be advertised somewhere useful rather than just an owner's for sale sign.

I wouldn't waste time tooling around in a boat for this. Unless you would be satisfied to buy almost any boat that will float.

Really ought to be some local sailing magazine, newpaper, whatever, that has many "want" ads either in print or online. And some marinas, marine equipment stores and yacht clubs have old fashioned bulletin boards.

What was wrong with an internet search? That's how I found my boat after our broker missed it.
Thanks for the reply. Yup, I've tried most of the standard sources but have found there really isn't much of anything. The ones that come up are usually old listings that still show active. As many here suggest, tried finding a buyer's broker but unless you're looking for a mega-yacht they don't seem too interested. Yachtworld and sailboatlistings used to be a good source; but, unless I'm missing something, very very few current and credible listings show up. Mostly just old ones or scams.
Old 13-10-2021, 10:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Without knowing your preferences, it's hard to give you good advice. But, if you're looking for a good deal on a boat that might need some work, you might consider driving north to Fort Pierce and looking around Riverside Marina. It's more a work/storage yard than a marina. Another similar type of place is Indiantown Marina.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably check those out.
Old 13-10-2021, 10:16   #10

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo37 View Post
Yes, I tried doing just that yesterday out at New River but really couldn't figure out access. I could see masts sticking up here and there but drove around in circles trying to get to them with no luck. Finally gave up but might try again. Thanks for the reply.
Be careful...
Someone down there may exercise their Second Amendment rights upon you.
Unless stated otherwise most Marinas are Private property.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 10:17   #11

Boat: Alajuela 33

Maybe list your criteria; size, price range, any preferred attributes or deal breakers etc., and forum members local to south FL can help with crowd sourcing.
japawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 10:45   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Be careful...
Someone down there may exercise their Second Amendment rights upon you.
Unless stated otherwise most Marinas are Private property.
SV Cloud Duster
Yeah, for sure...that's the feeling I got. Was just driving around looking for any access that was clearly open to the public. Thanks.
Old 13-10-2021, 10:50   #13

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
try safe harbor there as well as crackerboy
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 10:51   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by japawil View Post
Maybe list your criteria; size, price range, any preferred attributes or deal breakers etc., and forum members local to south FL can help with crowd sourcing.
Looking for 36 to 38ish island-hopper/ cruiser. Fond of Pearson, Morgan, Bayfield, Tartan, and possibly Tayana but am open to any solid cruiser in the 30k to 70k range. Any leads or suggestions much appreciated.
Old 13-10-2021, 11:33   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Some online listings from sources like Boat Trader Magazine and even Craigslist can be surprisingly effective. Just goggling "sailboats for sale" brings up some more of these search resources. I've bought and sold several boats for myself, friends and relatives through these online searches with some great success. The Morgan 41 pictured in my avatar was traded along with some cash for my Morgan 33 through a Boat Trader Magazine contact back in 1985. 'lots of vetting and surveying, but all directly through owners only.

Tags
boat, boatyards, for sale, marinas, miami, sale