Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2020, 07:57   #16

Re: Strait of Juan de Fuca in an enterprise

I don't know those waters at all, but here's my take on the venture, from Enterprise sailing many years ago.
18 or so miles will take about six to eight hours, but you will likely sail 20 to 25 miles allowing for tidal set, so consider an eight- to ten-hour day. Sailing an Enterprise flat out is hard work, so I would wait for a day when the wind is forecast to be 8-10 knots. There will be strong gusts on top of that. A detailed study of the tides is essential, but I would have two things in mind; either time it so slack tide is when you are in the middle of the strait, or if there is a marked acceleration near the shore, cover that part at slack tide. Have several courses worked out for varying tidal vectors. Aim to be a little uptide as you approach your destination. Have plenty of liquid and 'energy bars' with you. Remember your crew will have to work as hard or harder. You can always heave-to to rest, or even take the mainsail down. A handheld GPS and VHF would be a good idea. I'm assuming you have a compass to steer by.
Sounds like fun.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 09:31   #17

Since the OP referred to the R2AK, it is also worth bearing in mind that the PT to Victoria leg of the R2AK is considered by the Organizers of the race to be a "proving leg".

It cuts two ways: 1) It permits the organizers to dismiss any contestant from the Victoria to Ketchikan leg if, in the opinion of the Race Committee, the contestant isn't up to the rigours of that leg, which includes (obviously) a traversing of Hecate Strait which is entirely open to the vagaries of the Pacific Ocean. In the application materials, the Organizers warn specifically against the dangers of this part of the race. 2) It affords contestants the opportunity to "chicken out" before they encounter the REAL dangers, if they find that the PT to Victoria leg confers more thrills than they had bargained for.

The requirements for safety equipment laid down in the rules are also stringent.

All in all, what the OP proposes to do is not, IMO, a good idea at all. In the thread that ran last year, I also subtly warned that OP that crossing from Vancouver to Porlier Pass (Straits of Georgia) in a dinghy is a rather daft idea. We have not heard that the man actually did it. We cannot know or reasonably assess the capabilities of a new member of CP, the extent of his knowledge or the quality of his seamanship. All we can do is try to define for him the nature of the general risks and the particular dangers that he will meet in the waters he proposes to sail in, such as we who do sail in those waters know them.

It is then for the proposer himself to determine whether he wishes to brave those risks :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 09:58   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

JAH9, I've grown up on these waters after being taught to sail by my father, ultimately a commander in Canadian Navy. I've done a number of foolish things in small boats growing up and still do stupid things. We didn't bother with life jackets let alone having a radio or carrying those silly flares. I really shouldn't be alive.
Please don't take this as a negative but.... If you need to ask a sailing forum about the feasibility then I would say you are not ready yet.
I've also taught many to sail. A comment heard a few times after a few classes were something like - "If I had known how dangerous this can be I would never have taken my wife and kids off the dock".
You will know when its good to go.
Chris
Old 15-02-2020, 12:22   #19

Boat: Cross 39

The OP stated they are early on in the planning stages of his possible trip Vic to Port Angeles. Approaching others for advice, inside and outside this forum, seems like an obvious starting point and in no way did I sense the OP thinks he is prepared. I encourage JAH9 to keep pursuing this goal. Risks can be lessened o an acceptable level, but of course never eliminated. I’m looking forward to hearing about the process.
Seagirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 13:42   #20

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

The OP should also get one of these: https://www.starpath.com/catalog/books/1806.htm
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote