Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2016, 13:20   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Still using the excuse you can't afford that boat?

I hear it all the time, "I've been dreaming of cruising for years, but I just can't save up $300K for my dream Catamaran or $150K for my dream mono."

Well I'm calling BullS$!! on the "I can't afford the boat I want" excuse right here and now. Stop using the "Dream Boat Myth" as an excuse and get a boat you can afford and go. It seems that lately every time I'm on the web (often now to take breaks from the Teak Deck Redo Project) I'm seeing cruise capable boats ready to go. Heck and this one is even down in paradise where you want to be for heavens sake!

https://www.facebook.com/sarahh.aloh...s/890162102003

Folks...you are not getting any younger, the the zero interest rates are not helping your fixed income investments get any better and the world is not going to be getting any more "stable" than it is right now.

Sure, everyone has timing issues and responsibilities that they can't just walk away from, but this "Dream Boat Myth" keeps more people from taking the plunge than almost anything else, don't let it happen to you.

There....consider that your motivational kick in the A$$ for the week.
Now back to the teak deck project for me..."Dream Boat"...ya right...there is no such thing!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 14:07   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: I call BullS$!T on that.

Blows my mind how cheap a real cruising boat can be. $25-100K and all you will need is beer and food and a passport. I don't understand the need to save up for a $300k boat unless you already know all about cruising and you know what you want.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 14:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I hear it all the time, "I've been dreaming of cruising for years, but I just can't save up $300K for my dream Catamaran or $150K for my dream mono."

Well I'm calling BullS$!! on the "I can't afford the boat I want" excuse right here and now. Stop using the "Dream Boat Myth" as an excuse and get a boat you can afford and go. It seems that lately every time I'm on the web (often now to take breaks from the Teak Deck Redo Project) I'm seeing cruise capable boats ready to go. Heck and this one is even down in paradise where you want to be for heavens sake!

Folks...you are not getting any younger, the the zero interest rates are not helping your fixed income investments get any better and the world is not going to be getting any more "stable" than it is right now.

Sure, everyone has timing issues and responsibilities that they can't just walk away from, but this "Dream Boat Myth" keeps more people from taking the plunge than almost anything else, don't let it happen to you.

Now back to the teak deck project for me..."Dream Boat"...ya right...there is no such thing!
I like your post very much. Truth be told, Leaving what people have seen as their security and taking the plunge into the unknown is the hardest thing that a person will ever do. Some will fail and their dream will die by the wayside while others will say for years how this was the smartest move that they ever made. No crystal ball to tell who will be which. One thing is certain, sitting on your duff reading the adventures of others will not get you any closer to your dream. You.will have to one day quit making excuses, and go for it, or you are just blowing smoke and your dream is just that.. A dream that will never be realized.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 14:11   #4
cruiser

A 50 hour run over to Brindisi, docked now at the city warf for front row speedboat racing today and tomorrow. We ain't holding back.

Finished my 400 hours of teak deck work last season.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 14:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Blows my mind how cheap a real cruising boat can be. $25-100K and all you will need is beer and food and a passport. I don't understand the need to save up for a $300k boat unless you already know all about cruising and you know what you want.
I've actually been thinking that th majority of posters on the board are the same bareboaters renting these cats and pulling into your anchorage without a clue. Wondering if there really are any boaties on this board..
Old 16-07-2016, 14:30   #6
vjm

It's an escapist fantasy for a lot of people. They aren't doing it because they don't actually want to. They enjoy thinking and talking and dreaming about it though.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 14:42   #7

Boat: Westerly Sealord

And then you have the people who have the boat but can't get moving because 'the boat isn't quite ready yet'.

If you wait until everything is 100% you will never go.
Old 16-07-2016, 14:45   #8

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
And then you have the people who have the boat but can't get moving because 'the boat isn't quite ready yet'.

this.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 14:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

Exactly. This is another "excuse". No boat is ever 100% ready. Gotta go for it sometimes.. It's an adventure for gosh sake.
Old 16-07-2016, 15:19   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
Exactly. This is another "excuse". No boat is ever 100% ready. Gotta go for it sometimes.. It's an adventure for gosh sake.
Have watched people do that for many years...a dock neighbor once for about 8 years...they were still getting ready when I left, bet they never left.

Paid $35K for my first cruising boat.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 15:28   #11

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

For some people the thought of it IS the adventure. They will never actually go for it because it is to extreme a change. But the thought of it and the planning/talking about it fulfils their need for adventure.
I don't have a problem with them being like this. It makes them happy and they aren't hurting anyone. It happens in all parts of life. Everyone is going to start exercising, drink less, stop smoking, do better at work, ect...but very few follow through. Everyone wants to live a better life and dreams of it. And yes living on a luxury yacht is a much better fantasy than living on a pocket cruiser:-)
Let them day dream, it gets them through the drudgery of a 9-5 life. And do you really want everyone actually buying a boat and filling up your anchorage.
All that said, I hope I don't end up as one of them, my current and hopefully only excuse is I promised the kids they could graduate high school before I go. We will see in 3-4 years. Maybe you will see me in your anchorage, maybe it will only happen in my imagination. Whichever makes me happiest will be the one I choose.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 15:29   #12

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

for some, dreams are more real than reality...

standing around a party talking about it impresses more people than going out and doing it

when out there, few know you are actually doing it....

same with people who do stuff like survival schools, then go back to suburbia and talk about how "brave" the whole adventure was...like reality TV where the camera crew is right there too....

do anything long enough and you can almost smell it on the wannabes...but it doesn't make them bad people... just a little comical...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 15:37   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post

Thats a nice boat. Ill be ready to get one like that in 2 to 4 years. No 300K boat for me.
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 15:52   #14

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Have watched people do that for many years...a dock neighbor once for about 8 years...they were still getting ready when I left, bet they never left.
Paid $35K for my first cruising boat.
We have a dock neighbor on the Rio that once they got there,
kind of quit and have been there for 8 years. They plan to go somewhere someday when they get the boat ready again.
On my other side is a 38' IP with all the good stuff , new gen set, 15hp rib. A ready to go cruising boat, $90K
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 16:50   #15

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Shhhh...dont tell anyone, we bought our boat for 30,000. Deck, hull, sails, engine etc all good. Now it does need work on the rudder, but nothing expensive or time consuming. We had to slow down our plan as there was far more to do than we expected, (to wrap up land life) but come next year we join the ranks of others fixing boats in exotic locations.
The couple we bought our boat from had been actively cruising her. Her systems are aging but in good working order. We will replace or upgrade as parts give up the ghost.

So no more excuses. We dont expect to get compliments on her, but we get to cruise!
Like us, Gitana is not pretty, but capable.

Tags
cal