Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2016, 13:32   #106
cruiser

Re: I call BullS$!T on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
so cal and no where to go is an excuse. so cal is north mexico. go south. many anchorages and much beauty and guess what-- when ye get into some of the outrageously secluded locales there are folks who know how to fix boats. omg. cheap--gorgeous hardwood, beautiful, engines--guess what--the guys were camaroneros in a real shrimp boat, as opposed to pangas... wow... milagro-- opens a new door for those of us financially challenged.
funny how even rich folks LOVE it here-- but ye have to get over your fear of the unknown and your programmed in fear of mexicans and your fear of being clobbered and fear of ugly boats and your fear of leaving your guns and politics at ¨ḧome¨, and donot forget your fear of tight places..... yada yada.
no, this life is not for everyone--even tho many grow up wanting to be pirates of the caribbean, there is only one role and that one is filled/. oops.

HOWEVER, if you always wanted to be a french baker delivering goods to boats and having a shop in pair a dice, there is a position available for that--barra´s french baker wants to retire and go inland, and has his business up for sale...we cry real tears on this one, he rocks and we are spoiled....

we get that for which we work hardest.
Zee,

We cruise as average of 3,000 miles per year in the Med experiencing a wide variety of cultures and historical places. Have spent 30 years in So Cal and many trips and cruises down to Mexico. The Mexican food must be getting to you.

I repeat, If we hadn't made some changes, we'd still be stuck in So Cal aboard our Hunter with no place to go. Southern California is a cruising dead end compared to other locations. Been there, done that.

Come visit the Med, you'd be welcome aboard anytime.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 14:52   #107

My wife and I are still in the dream stage, but that dream is getting closer. She retires in December, the house goes on the market next spring, and we move to Florida looking for a 32-34 foot trawler to cruise in. We know we are talking in the $150-$175K for a decent used one (luckily boat purchase is not dependent on house sale). Next fall/winter we will learn what we can between on the water classes, hiring someone to do on the water training, then the spring of 2018 we will leave Florida to begin America's Great Loop...6000+ miles, one year. My wife is already talking a second loop to justify sales tax and other associated expenses. We both come from the shore originally and want to be on the water...basically a life long dream for both of us. I'm 67 and she 59 so we can't put if off any longer.

I've often heard that "wanting is often times more pleasurable than having" (thank you Mr. Spock)...we want to try the having side to test this out.
Captain-Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 15:10   #108

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

I spent a couple of years full time on a boat that was 26' long, and another couple of years aboard a boat that was 26' wide. Neither of them was a gold plater, but they both afforded me much pleasure.
Get what suits you, not anybody else, and go.
Old 18-07-2016, 15:33   #109

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

I keep a BS flag in my pocket and am quick to throw it down on a play. But it has to be under the right circumstances.

Sitting in a circle of good natured banter and the BS level gets above boot top high? Flag on the play.

A truly pompous a$$ blowing his horn about something I know to be BS? Sometimes you just have to throw it down.

Someone with time, money and hope on a sail away that I don't see happening? Crushing someone's hopes just doesn't give me a thrill.
Old 18-07-2016, 15:58   #110

There are dreamers and doers and that is just fine. Some dreamers need the dream just to get through one shitty day after the other and will never go sailing, what's wrong with that??
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 16:20   #111

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
There are dreamers and doers and that is just fine. Some dreamers need the dream just to get through one shitty day after the other and will never go sailing, what's wrong with that??
Ya...seemed to work in the Matrix
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 16:31   #112

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

buy one with a scratch on it /Head not flushing/alternator not charging enough/solar panels over charging/anti foul gon off/dinghy grating on the davits/galley stove wont light/ the 3 cylinder Perkins motor in each hull work fine/auto bilge pumps only work on manual/sails have rust stains and old decals/anchor chain rusty /admiralty anchor fouling on most things forward /manual winch clunks/anemometer reads voltage/sonar only works on simulation/slightly used condition for 50.000 live on board while learning boat maintenance/and end up with a cruising cat thats been maintained and you have an idea on what to keep an eye on while learning to sail her
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:02   #113

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
exmaggie---emerick will train and be there to teach whoever buys th ebiz to do that which he has been doing forever. there should still be a french baker--just not so french in national origin.
if i had dough i would do it, but i donot have the purchase price to do this. would be a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. and there would still be the lovely tradition he had of giving roses to the selected friends on his route on valentines and mothers days.
so far, he has not found a new owner--so he will still be selling his awesomeness until he finds someone
Whoever does this will sure have a lot of new friends that come through there. You meet lots of folks on boats just going in to a spot but not like you would dinking up to every one in an anchorage every day. There's baking and then there's baking. Not everyone is cut out to be a pastry baker but I'm sure any one could learn the basics and there are those out there that would be most excellent bakers that don't even know it yet. All good!
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:10   #114

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: Still using the excuse you can't afford that boat?

I'm gonna give all you poor folks out there a break and quit after this post. I spent a lot of time and money fixing up my good ol' boat over a 5 year period, going out for weekends and the occasional week. Then went cruising - yippee! No air con though. No microwave. No wifi antenna. But I had a bullet proof electrical system. Same with my sails, engine, bilge pumps, water system, etc. You know - the basics that keep you alive to live your dream.

The one thing the good ol' boat needed was a cosmetic lift - varnish, paint, etc. She looked a bit worn with chalky gel coat and some rough wood around the dodger. Not a marina queen for sure. More like a sleeper hot rod but she was slow too. Under the hood all good.

The new owners put new paint on her in Thailand and they are enjoying how trustworthy the good ol' boat is. A boat does not have to be pristine to be a good ol' boat.

And I'll take having sundowners on a real cruiser's old, well-used boat any time over having cocktails on a pretty boat with stuffy owners - any time.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:19   #115

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
THERE ye go!!!! good spirit!!! now --GO GET EM!!!!
paint an d brightwork are anywhere kindsa things--between drinks, between passages between......and easily hired out in rural areas where the folks need extra household dough.......that way ye donot have to do it yerself.... funny how that works.
come on down!
funny how the ocean befouls the appearance of paint..takes it right off.
channel islands harbor--is just a minuet north of here--there is no excuse to no t get here for a drink or whatever here in not so rural mexico. i prefer rural mexico , but ye get what ye need.....
I'd be there in a heartbeat but for the fatherly requirements of income and the young-uns. Right now it is cruising lite around the islands where you can at least often pretend you are in the Med. (they aren't THAT bad Kenomac! some of us still have to suffer the hybrid life) The kids go nuts for the dolphins and whales here too... but they have seen the shows with the shots of all the rays in Sea of Cortez, so in a few years when they are older, I'm sure they'll be grabbing the tiller to head south. A little cheaper than a windvane and they might even make my coffee too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:21   #116
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
And I'll take having sundowners on a real cruiser's old, well-used boat any time over having cocktails on a pretty boat with stuffy owners - any time.
What in the hello is that supposted to mean? We get together daily with people from all walks of life on all sorts of boats. None of that sort of stuff matters, except maybe...... to people like you.

Do you actually go out cruising? Or are you just speculating on what it must be like?

Off the internet forum..... all boats and all people are equal. But your post sounds like you have some sort of very weird chip on your shoulder.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:29   #117

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
WTF is that supposted to mean? We get together daily with people from all walks of life on all sorts of boats.

Do you actually go out cruising? Or are you just speculating on what it must be like?

Off the internet forum..... all boats and all people are equals. But your post sounds like you have some sort of very weird chip on your shoulder.
Nah I think he's just trying to throw a bone out for those of us with not-so-pretty boats who may feel a bit inferior... I have had drinks with stuffy people in pretty boats... but in the marina, they weren't out cruising... not sure they did, or at least not too far... still real nice folks though... but you're right, those I met along the way are a bunch of really great folks for the most part...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 12:10   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
....................... but you're right, those I met along the way are a bunch of really great folks for the most part...
I agree,- we come across great people on 22' sloops and huge Nordhavens!
Old 19-07-2016, 14:46   #119

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

The only time I met a sooty bunch was sailing down the Baja. A powerboat rally called (at the time) FUBAR. They were like locust in anchorages. I would anchor for a day usually and they would come in behind me for 2 days, so I kept running into them. They would always anchor in close knit group and always on top of me. I could literally speak in a moderate tone from my bow that they were trying to anchor too close and when they let out their line, they stood a good chance of swinging into me. The capt., in his cute little capt's hat, exclaimed he needed to be close to his friend. Later in La Paz, there was a Christmas dinner put on at a marine store there. Having limited seating, they were asking people to get on the list, over the VHF. A Norhaven owner did not want to wait and I'm guessing had a linear amp on his VHF, which I think is illegal. As the coordinator, was taking orders, he kept increasing his output (gain), I could see my SWR meter go up...up...up. Eventually stepped on everyone to get on the list.
Most other times never have any problems mixing around. I think all sailors are pirates at heart.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 16:19   #120
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

rich boren--ye know these anchorages down here are just not right without you here and your boat--old harbor was a lot prettier when we both were in there.. ha ha ha ha
yeah .
if i can do this anyone can--dunno if is complement or a diss.. ha ha ha ha
but it is correct--if i can do this anyone can. hell i am merely a girl, old, once nurse ratchet... h aha ha ha yup. come on down.
i know where the good repairs are had and done. is what i am doing now.. ha ha ha engine first, then now tranny is just fixed, then the lift pump yet again. okay... and bypassing it after repair so i can always start the engine i poured time and money into to rebuild so beautifully. and then we address patricia damages. whoot\
yup if i can do it anyone can. at least this is cheaper so i can almost afford this stuff i have to get done. oh yes and born of egan clan., strength and fortitude and prominent nautical blood from eons back.
oh yeah and even with disabled hands i am doing much of this work myself so far. yup.
if i can do it anyone can for real. i am just a wee old broken girl.

i put 3000 miles on a badly repaired boat--i got that boat for under 5000 usd... not a problem. now--you try to find this excellent a boat for the same dough. good luck. i got lucky , as my spars are thai cedar, much superior to many woods, and the bases and steps were kinda ok and workable until recently, the mizzen step is iffy and requires stepping mast to repair, and mizzen was patricia´d, so it has a crack, longitudinally , along forward glue line. so big deal we still brought it 300 miles without too much incident..ha h ahah a
if i werent such a smart lil ****(am i allowed to say this) , i couldnot effect the repairs i have effected nor been able to direct the workers as to what i needed to have redone.
it never hurts to know boats from early age so you have a basis for the responsibility and knowledge required to do this lifestyle. and thank goddesses and gods i was smart enough to have been a nursee in critical care for 30 plus years so i have body strength lacking in most males over 20.
intelligence and strength and flexibility are required in this lifestyle, as well as the ability to think on feet, but if i can do it, anyone can ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

oh and if you all have enough limonada natural, i can sit on anyones cockpit deck, even a catalina 42, and watch ye swill alcohol or whatever you do in spare bored time as sun gloriously sets into ocean. hell i even sat in the main saloon of an oyster 53 and did that very thing. it was more funner to sit in brian redmonds lola and drive it to paddock. but this life is full of fun. donot sit still as you will melt ...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal