Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2015, 06:07   #16

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3
Re: Sticky Situations- What Would You Do?

Dont worry, colemj is the crusiers forumn security guard/critical analyst for the site. If you dont get some criticisms from him your post is not worth visiting.. dont worry colemj...all in good fun.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:20   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I had one when I was a kid, Wottie: two tomato tins and a length of string. Worked in the dark, too!

Jim
HAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
And you could navigate with it , just follow the string
+1

Quote:
Ya mean his magnetic compass, hard copy charts, Mk 1 eyeball, pencil, dividers, parallel rulers and grey matter 'twixt the ears
$ will buy you almost everything on the list wottie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
You guys are a tough crowd
Quote:
Armchair tuff
You two are killin me...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:21   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Perhaps he became so enamored of navigational goodies that he forgot to learn elektrix.

Stu, I get your point. It is easy to become dependent on things that make life easy. I am guilty of that more than I would like. I recently drove out of town, returning late at night on a dark road via an unfamiliar route, while depending upon my vehicle's GPS, which did not match the more recent road construction. It was frustrating to hear it say exit now, when there was no exit.

It is also easy to be flummoxed when one's primary tools don't work for some reason, and electronic and electrical systems can be mystifying to most, including me.

I would prefer to have the main electrical system working. Sometimes a simple thing shuts them down.

My suggestion: A quick troubleshooting procedure for major systems should be written on a laminated card and shown to all crew members at an orientation to the boat prior to a cruise. Those cards can be stowed or posted at or near the place they are needed. That way very simple troubleshooting tasks can be done even if the skipper is asleep or occupied with some other task, such as being at the helm, while needing a crew member to do the troubleshooting down below.

But, I also see the point of having a simple backup plan just in case the main system cannot be brought back on In a couple of minutes of switch flipping. Having a handheld GPS chart plotter (eg smartphone) in one's pocket or aboard is a good idea. Portable battery lights are a good idea. So too is the idea or plan to quickly rig a temporary running or steaming light if one is in a channel with traffic at night.

Be Prepared is a good motto, one I try to follow.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:40   #19

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
Dont worry, colemj is the crusiers forumn security guard/critical analyst for the site. If you dont get some criticisms from him your post is not worth visiting.. dont worry colemj...all in good fun.

You mean someone with vastly more cruising experience in the area in question who challenged your somewhat confusing if not dubious claims of an attempted piracy in open water?? Whether your story was true or not, it's kinda handy for other cruisers planning to transit the area to have a guy like colemj around, especially when you opted not to respond to basic questions about the incident. Yes, I know, we can see it all on your youTube channel . . . just remember to press the "Like" button. Or can we?

Sorry if you already did so and I missed it, but perhaps you can just start a new thread responding to all the questions, letting us know you reported it to Noonsite & the relevant law enforcement authorities, and confirming that your "pirates" weren't mere fishermen looking to trade. Otherwise threatening people with rifles without adequate justification constitutes an assault as I'm sure you know. I promise not to contribute to any gunny talk in any such new thread that might get the mods to close things down.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:12   #20

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
You mean someone with vastly more cruising experience in the area in question who challenged your somewhat confusing if not dubious claims of an attempted piracy in open water?? Whether your story was true or not, it's kinda handy for other cruisers planning to transit the area to have a guy like colemj around, especially when you opted not to respond to basic questions about the incident. Yes, I know, we can see it all on your youTube channel . . . just remember to press the "Like" button. Or can we?

Sorry if you already did so and I missed it, but perhaps you can just start a new thread responding to all the questions, letting us know you reported it to Noonsite & the relevant law enforcement authorities, and confirming that your "pirates" weren't mere fishermen looking to trade. Otherwise threatening people with rifles without adequate justification constitutes an assault as I'm sure you know. I promise not to contribute to any gunny talk in any such new thread that might get the mods to close things down.
Easy there sport, it was a joke. And my pirate experience post answered most questions in the actual post... I dont respond to peoples stupid questions on here if the video or text explains it already. And i suppose my coast guard experience was brought on by me being a drug smuggler to some, and that i couldn't have possibly simply been a sailor minding my own business... There are always the arm chair critics on the net. I guess your one of them as well.

Cheers

I shall post no more on the subject.. Im about to drive 1000 miles back home after putting my boat on the hard. Fair winds EXILE!

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:30   #21

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
I dont respond to peoples stupid questions on here if the video or text explains it already.

By "text" I guess you mean the incomplete dribblings of facts on the (closed) thread, apparently meant to get people to visit your youTube channel? Do you have a link to your "video?" If your account is true then I can't imagine why you wouldn't want as complete a record as possible to warn your fellow cruisers. Its absence only suggests that "peoples [sic] stupid questions" were perhaps not so stupid.

I shall post no more on the subject.
Certainly not surprised by this statement. Pretty sure I wouldn't want to either.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:06   #22

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogHunter View Post
A couple of years ago we were sailing in the Keys for an easy, routine weekend loop between islands. Suddenly all our electronics went out- lights, navigation, everything... after dark.
We were just coming in the cut but hadn't been in this particular cut before so we really needed the navigation.
We whipped out our phone with the Navionics app on it and pinpointed us perfectly and got us safely into dock.
We also used our glow sticks to light up the aft and tied our battery-powered backup nav light to the bow rail.
Thank goodness for backups and thinking ahead.

What situations have you been in that we could all learn from?
Plotting on paper matey. And what was the problem in the end?
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:09   #23

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
You guys are a tough crowd
Which is why you love us… and you are a total pussycat, eh P? When the time is so, so it is.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:20   #24
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hey MF... my sarcasm is so deep, most people just don't get it.

But your right about me being a pussycat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1446920424344.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	112411  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:14   #25
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Hey MF... my sarcasm is so deep, most people just don't get it.

But your right about me being a pussycat
YAY, a cat picture!

CF has finally caught up with the rest of the interwebby ...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote