Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2018, 12:24   #181
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 32,972
Re: Steve & Linda Dashew retire

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
This is for John..
Have not sailed on one but.. I have been on one of Dashews sailboats..
For me.. at its price.. it was basic in the extreme .. .. .
I agree with this. For modern standards, they are very spartan and plasticky below, and the interior is cave-like. Once I stepped aboard a raised salon boat, I could never have a boat like that.
__________________
"You sea! I resign myself to you also . . . . I guess what you mean,
I behold from the beach your crooked inviting fingers,
I believe you refuse to go back without feeling of me;
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 13:34   #182
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 6,140
Re: Steve & Linda Dashew retire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
And a single tug burns 7000 litres of diesel a day
A containership burns 225,000 litres a day
And you are concerned about something that sips fuel.

Now tell me again how much fossil fuel was burnt making all the resins, plastics, aluminium , engines etc etc on your boat while I get some stones to throw at your glass house.

Oh and round up some carrier pigeons to return the computer you are posting on.
It was made from fossil fuels and came over on that 225,000 litre a day ship.
Shame on you.
Shame on me? So you think we can continue to burn unlimited quantities of fossil fuels and that all governments around the world that are taking a huge number of measures to diminish consumption are fools?

The diminution of emmissions has to do with can be bettered on dispensable.

Today all governments around the world demand strict control in what regards emission on new engines for everything, from shipping to cars. Most ships use diesel electric engines partially on account of that.

There are things that are needed, namely shipping transportation and tug work. Regarding that what can be done is improving efficiency.

Regarding the use of engines for pleasure activities, it is not a necessity and it cannot be put at equal level and yes, I do not find desirable or needed the use of power boats for doing long rage cruising due to environmental concerns.

They burn 30 to 40 more times diesel than a sailing boat of the same size time doing the same. The difference in efficiency in what regards pollution for doing the same job is huge.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 13:50   #183
Registered User
 
Simi 60's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Australia
Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Posts: 4,065
Re: Steve & Linda Dashew retire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post


RRRAAARRRGGGHHHHHH
.
The gift that keeps on giving
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 14:50   #184
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 6,140
Re: Steve & Linda Dashew retire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
The gift that keeps on giving
When someone ressources to this type of insulting and nil arguments it says a lot about you and nothing abou the subject in discussion.

It seems you don't know that efficiency and less pollution on all types of maritime transport is a huge concern today. Modern ships waste less than what you have mentioned and there are goals to be achieved in what regards less burning of fossil combustibles.

"Reducing fuel consumption and carbon emissions are two of the main concerns of shipping industry today. A lot has already been done in terms of research and development to make the ultimate green ship. From renewable/ alternate sources of energy to design modifications, the industry has constantly improved its technology for an enhanced form of sustainable shipping."

https://www.marineinsight.com/tech/7...tion-of-ships/

And you don't think that in what regards long range cruising we should have identical concerns? Before someone decide for us?
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 15:01   #185
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 32,972
Re: Steve & Linda Dashew retire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Shame on me? So you think we can continue to burn unlimited quantities of fossil fuels and that all governments around the world that are taking a huge number of measures to diminish consumption are fools?

The diminution of emmissions has to do with can be bettered on dispensable.

Today all governments around the world demand strict control in what regards emission on new engines for everything, from shipping to cars. Most ships use diesel electric engines partially on account of that.

There are things that are needed, namely shipping transportation and tug work. Regarding that what can be done is improving efficiency.

Regarding the use of engines for pleasure activities, it is not a necessity and it cannot be put at equal level and yes, I do not find desirable or needed the use of power boats for doing long rage cruising due to environmental concerns.

They burn 30 to 40 more times diesel than a sailing boat of the same size time doing the same. The difference in efficiency in what regards pollution for doing the same job is huge.
30 or 40 times? This is just wrong, Paolo. The FPB 64 uses 12 liters/hour at economical cruise. My boat uses 4 liters/hour, and my boat is not the same size. Something like an HR64 uses about 7 liters/hour. So where do you get 30 or 40 times? Just make it up? Maybe you're factoring in sailing vs. motoring, but the average cruising sailboat motors AT LEAST 50% of the time. So that's 3.5 liters per hour for the HR64. So the FPB is what -- 3 times more than that, in average use?


On the rest of it -- OK, we get that although you don't use a motorboat yourself, you would like to forbid them. Great; write to your MEP and suggest putting a bill through the European Parliament. Good luck with that.
__________________
"You sea! I resign myself to you also . . . . I guess what you mean,
I behold from the beach your crooked inviting fingers,
I believe you refuse to go back without feeling of me;
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 15:09   #186
Registered User
 
Simi 60's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Australia
Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Posts: 4,065
Re: Steve & Linda Dashew retire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
More angry rants and zero solutions
How are those carrier pigeons going so you can return the device you are posting on that arrived on one of those ships you hate so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
30 or 40 times? This is just wrong, Paolo. The FPB 64 uses 12 liters/hour at economical cruise. My boat uses 4 liters/hour, and my boat is not the same size. Something like an HR64 uses about 7 liters/hour. So where do you get 30 or 40 times? Just make it up? Maybe you're factoring in sailing vs. motoring, but the average cruising sailboat motors AT LEAST 50% of the time. So that's 3.5 liters per hour for the HR64. So the FPB is what -- 3 times more than that, in average use?

:
How dare you confuse facts with delusion

FWIW we us 15lph@ 7.5knts shifting a 70tonne house.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 16:11   #187
Registered User
 
Nightsky's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 166
Re: Steve & Linda Dashew retire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
"Reducing fuel consumption and carbon emissions are two of the main concerns of shipping industry today. A lot has already been done in terms of research and development to make the ultimate green ship. From renewable/ alternate sources of energy to design modifications, the industry has constantly improved its technology for an enhanced form of sustainable shipping."

https://www.marineinsight.com/tech/7...tion-of-ships/

And you don't think that in what regards long range cruising we should have identical concerns? Before someone decide for us?
Isn't this exactly what the Dashews have done?
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 17:18   #188
Moderator
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 19,910
Re: Steve & Linda Dashew retire

Just a thought: were not the clipper ships a better example of the "ultimate green ship" than any fossil fueled vessel could ever be?

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II, still hanging out in Port Cygnet. Summer was nice... it was on a Tuesday... and now winter has descended upon Tasmania. Brrr.
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 17:25   #189
Seaman, Delivery skipper
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 29,043
Images: 2
pirate Re: Steve & Linda Dashew retire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Just a thought: were not the clipper ships a better example of the "ultimate green ship" than any fossil fueled vessel could ever be?

Jim
For an ultimate sailor.. yes..
But these folks are arguing FOR the Donk and its indispensability..
__________________

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 18:09   #190
Registered User
 
Tricolor's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Brazil, Spain, The Netherlands
Boat: Boatless at the moment
Posts: 382
Re: Steve & Linda Dashew retire

This discussion is like a Rolls-Royce owner discussing with a Bentley owner who of them has the best green footprint.
__________________
Ranulph Fiennes 'There is no bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.'
Tricolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 18:24   #191
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 16,568
Images: 2
Re: Steve & Linda Dashew retire

Very interesting Boatman61, did not know about that. There is little to guide these kinds of global impacts. We have problems to work out. It will take time and understanding.Will understanding occur soon enough?

I saw a Dashew motor boat at West Harbor, Fisher's Island, NY. It was striking and purposeful, but overkill in my opinion. It was actually Steve and Linda in one of their early power boats. I thought about rowing over and haling them, but I had had an earilier correspondence with Steve about his support of MaxSea ( relatively new at the time) and his website about it.

His response really turned me off. It was basically I and my services are available if you have money, if not go elsewhere. Note: Now time may changed my report, but that was my impression. I actually regret not having rowed over, as I think he is probably a very interesting person and I really would have liked seeing the boat and details and meeting Linda and Steve.

I respect the depth of his design, and am drawn to his concepts and the process, and the end results do represent his goals, however what is missing is a sense of history and romance, and that Scottish trait perhaps best known as "penurious". I see none of that restraint.

I do find his boats fascinating from the first Beowolf to the brash aluminun powerboats built in NZ with aluminum from Invergargill.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 18:28   #192
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 16,568
Images: 2
Re: Steve & Linda Dashew retire

I agree wih Polux, REDUCE!!! Everything.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 18:40   #193
Registered User
 
Simi 60's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Australia
Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Posts: 4,065
Re: Steve & Linda Dashew retire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I agree wih Polux, REDUCE!!! Everything.
America first as they have been the land of excess for as long as I can remember.

They do seem to have a penchant for large fuel guzzling trucks and suvs for doing the shopping in and huge hp drug runner style boats for catching small fish from.

Perhaps they need to pay more for fuel like most other countries do?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 01:54   #194
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 32,972
Re: Steve & Linda Dashew retire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
This discussion is like a Rolls-Royce owner discussing with a Bentley owner who of them has the best green footprint.
Absolutely right

You put your finger right on it.
__________________
"You sea! I resign myself to you also . . . . I guess what you mean,
I behold from the beach your crooked inviting fingers,
I believe you refuse to go back without feeling of me;
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 02:51   #195
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 32,972
Re: Steve & Linda Dashew retire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I agree wih Polux, REDUCE!!! Everything.
Great idea! You first! Set an example, and then post about how you did it, and then you'll inspire others.

If you really care about having an actual effect, then this is the way to do it.

If on the other hand, you just want to feel smug, then by all means, just criticize others, and particularly other people's sports. Now that we've done motor yachters, why don't we start a new thread criticizing private jets, people who fly to go skiing, snowmobilers, why, the list is endless. Even football -- the driving which takes place for people to attend football games dwarfs the carbon footprint of surely all the motor yachts in the world.
__________________
"You sea! I resign myself to you also . . . . I guess what you mean,
I behold from the beach your crooked inviting fingers,
I believe you refuse to go back without feeling of me;
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free Download - Linda and Steve Dashew's books CareKnot Our Community 2 22-09-2016 08:06
Morris 28 Linda Price Reduction (Note: House Not Included in Sale) Jordan Yachts Vendor Spotlight - Great Deals for CF Members! 0 26-09-2011 06:49

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:41.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.