Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2007, 08:26   #1

Stepping down mast..

How hard is it to step down a mast and transport a 27' boat via highway.? Would it be a better idea to have it delivered via costal sailing.? Which would prove to be cheaper in the long run.?
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 09:13   #2

Boat: Endeavour 40CC
what kind of boat is it ? I had a 26' boat about 13 years ago that was easy to drop the mast with 2 people and then float onto a trailer (that was made for it) and drive off.

Getting the mast back up was a pain, but was doable with 2 people.
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 09:49   #3

Catalina 27.
Old 27-08-2007, 10:04   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Of course it depends on the distance but I would think trailering or trucking a boat that size would be a lot cheaper than sailing it. Unstepping the mast is easily done.
Old 27-08-2007, 10:04   #5

Of course it depends on the distance but I would think trailering or trucking a boat that size would be a lot cheaper than sailing it. Unstepping the mast is easily done.
Old 27-08-2007, 10:10   #6

Trailering or trucking would probably be cheaper than sailing but of course it all depends on the distance. Your question lacks enough specifics to be answered with certainty. as far as unstepping the mast goes, it's not a problem.
Old 27-08-2007, 10:14   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41
Dropping the mast is easy. hook a halyard to the tack fitting then crank it up tight. release the forestay then have soeone lower the halyard so that the mast starts leaning back. Then have two (preferably tall) peoplewalk the mast back and lay it gently on the cabin top. From there you'll need to walk the mast forward at the base till it overhangs the bow.
You can loosen the shrouds but there is no reason to take them off and a good reason to leave them on --they give the mast stability when coming down. Also make sure there is a solid connection at the mast base if not you will need to lash it and have someone there to watch it.

Stepping it may require an "A" frame. But it is the same process in reverse

I don't think that the mast is going to be the deal maker or breaker on this trip. It will be whether or not you can get a complete tow rig (truck and trailer).

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 10:14   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41
Dropping the mast is easy. hook a halyard to the tack fitting then crank it up tight. release the forestay then have soeone lower the halyard so that the mast starts leaning back. Then have two (preferably tall) peoplewalk the mast back and lay it gently on the cabin top. From there you'll need to walk the mast forward at the base till it overhangs the bow.
You can loosen the shrouds but there is no reason to take them off and a good reason to leave them on --they give the mast stability when coming down. Also make sure there is a solid connection at the mast base if not you will need to lash it and have someone there to watch it.

Stepping it may require an "A" frame. But it is the same process in reverse

I don't think that the mast is going to be the deal maker or breaker on this trip. It will be whether or not you can get a complete tow rig (truck and trailer).

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 11:07   #9

That would be another question..where to get a trailer..Probably would be easier to hire professionals to do something like this..I was just wondering about the mast mostly..If you'd need to get a crane to do that or just do it yourself..
If you hired someone to sail it from say Miami, Fl. to Charleston, SC what would something like that cost.?

Tags
mast