Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2020, 08:34   #1

Boat: 1984 Sunfish
Step one: Get on a boat...Check!

I have read the thread asking what happens to all the wannabes, and I hope not to be one that disappears. So here is the most recent update to my “wannabe”?intro post. Got some good advice here and realized that getting out on a sunfish or a dinghy was a great way to start the learning process, even before ASA 101. So we joined a centerboard sailing club! They have a small but suitable fleet of Optis, Sunfish, a couple Lasers and A Capri 14.2.
After TS shut us down last Sunday, we took advantage of the beautiful day and free kids lesson yesterday and had a great day on a tiny portion of Galveston Bay.
My oldest (17) was not supposed to be with us, but was sorely disappointed to have missed the previous weekend, so we invited her dad along and made a big family day of it. He had “sailed in college” but apparently 30+ years later had not retained anything from a semester on a windless Lakes
The youngest, at 8, is perfect size and age for Opti sailing.
Hubby and I are usually moderately active but both badly out of shape.
Our day started in a light breeze around 5 knots with a bit of post-storm recovery....pulling gear out of the clubhouse and stowing in the outdoor lockers and helping to set up buoys for the Opti class.
Rigging the sunfish was easy! Helped along by YouTube videos on repeat. I also bought some 1/4 nylon line so all 4 of us could get our sailing knots down pat. We had to wait for the Optis to get in the water before we could, so we stood and listened to the extremely helpful (to a rank amateur) kids lesson.
Then we were finally in the water! 17 went first since she was chomping at the bit. Water is knee-to chest deep, so easy to walk out with her. More YouTube videos helped with basics of sailing but do not cover how to get out of the way of half dozen Optis captained by U10 beginners! Lucky for us, the awesome instructor was happy to shout out instructions while he was out there anyway, so it was repeated tacking in a loop. She was a bit frustrated after 30 minutes and hopped off to give the rest of us a turn. I was afraid she was done for the day and didn’t want it to end on a sour note.
I was more afraid of not being able to pull myself into the boat than anything else, but I managed it, so after that it was all gravy. Well, not really. I was surprised at the feeling of just barely being in control of the boat and the level of concentration required. It reminded me of skiing in that regard. I would guess I was out only about 20 minutes before I was done, but again, super instructor saved the day and made me go out one more time and just focus on enjoying it. I did and was glad of it.
Opti class for 8 was great. She was the only one to capsize, which she did at the end when she was getting tired. She popped right up and laughed it off. She MOBd shortly after and needed a little encouragement to keep going but got back in and was glad she did.
After the 2 hour class, 8 was done, but 17 got back in the sunfish and worked out the kinks and came in after her second go smiling from ear to ear.
After lunch, 8 played with all the kids, the rest of us took turns, but the wind kicked up to 12-13 knots and the wake was more frequent. It was challenging! Once again thought 17 was going to give up, but she kept plugging away. We kept thinking she would turn in to the little harbor but she kept going back for more. She will make good crew for somebody someday if she doesn’t captain her own boat.
We all had a fantastic day, but it proved what I already knew... that hubby and I really need to get back on the bikes and work on strength and flexibility to be able to enjoy it to its fullest.
On to the next step...which is more of the same...tacking, tacking, tacking.
Ali
Superseapig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 09:09   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Step one: Get on a boat...Check!

Give the 17 year old a Laser and put her in a race and she'll really be hooked even more. Then put her on a Hobie or NACRA catamaran
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 09:26   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Actually flipped an Optimist Pram? I have one from age 7 to 15, and never managed to.

I second the Laser advice - I moved to a boat like a Laser before there were Lasers at age 16, and Wow!

Personally, I don't think that Sunfish are very good trainers - they move even when sailed badly, and don't give very good feedback as to what is just right and just wrong.
Old 27-09-2020, 09:57   #4

[QUOTE=tkeithlu;3242023]Actually flipped an Optimist Pram? I have one from age 7 to 15, and never managed to.

Wow. How superior you must feel to criticize an 8 year old. I guess she may as well just quit now.
Old 27-09-2020, 10:14   #5

Flipping is a great thing to get out of the way right off the bat. It frees you up from there, no more worrying about it that scares you from trying new things. A buddy showed me in high school how to flip a Laser, step over the rail, such as it is, step on the centerboard, right the boat and keep on sailing and never get wet. Kids learn that stuff so easily... us old farts are too chicken to try. For kids to learn in groups is best, it keeps their interest up so that when something like a flip happens they don't give up.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 27-09-2020, 10:39   #6

Thanks Don. We viewed capsizing as a good thing...the instructor applauded. Everybody got a good laugh and then, like you said, she didn’t worry anymore about going over.

The 17 is pretty timid. She’s been trying to get her driver license for more than a year but gets scared off every time she makes a sizable mistake that really requires correction. Im thinking stick with the sunfish for the winter and spring (she has a wetsuit from wakeboarding with dad) and then encourage her to try a Laser next summer if she hasn’t done so on her own by the. In meantime, glad of the confidence boost it seems to be giving her.
We’ll be out again next weekend trying to get as much time in before the weather and water turns cold.
Old 27-09-2020, 10:41   #7

Well there's always ice boat sailing for a real rush when things get colder Though probably not in Texas.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 27-09-2020, 10:51   #8

Haha no not here. Water temp yesterday was in the upper 70s and Sept/Oct is supposedly the best months for sailing as air temp cools and water temp is still good. And we’re never short of wind.
However, since I’m dual Canada/US and we have an unused family farm on Cape Breton Island 5 minutes from Grand Narrows and Barra Strait Marina, we are seriously trying to make our way to a move up there. 17 is looking at universities there, too. So we may have ice sailing in our future after all. And now I will need to go google ice sailing
Old 27-09-2020, 16:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superseapig View Post
Haha no not here. Water temp yesterday was in the upper 70s and Sept/Oct is supposedly the best months for sailing as air temp cools and water temp is still good. And we’re never short of wind.
However, since I’m dual Canada/US and we have an unused family farm on Cape Breton Island 5 minutes from Grand Narrows and Barra Strait Marina, we are seriously trying to make our way to a move up there. 17 is looking at universities there, too. So we may have ice sailing in our future after all. And now I will need to go google ice sailing
Tell her Dal is great! She would love it! (That's Dalhousie University in Halifax.)

And that instructor was super! Glad she encouraged you all to keep going back out there.

That's really the essence of it, eh, just go around for more tacks and gybes, until it feels like breathing.

Plus you're right: absolutely one of the first things we always get kids to do is a capsize/righting so they know they can right the boats themselves and, as you say, then it's not a worry anymore. Essential safety skill.

Now... when are you gonna try it?

Thanks for the update. SO glad all of you dove right in. It's going to serve you well as you progress through the various boats.

Well done, SuperSea + Clan!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 04:58   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I apologize for an inference that I was criticizing an 8 year-old. None was intended.
Old 28-09-2020, 05:12   #11

Boat: Cal 33-2

Great story! Sounds like the family is hooked. Time to start looking for a daysailor for the family to enjoy together.
Old 28-09-2020, 14:26   #12

We had our first real cool front come through today so I guess if I’m going to capsize on purpose I should do it soon �� All the gybing that was done Saturday was most definitely accidental. Controlled gibes are Step 2!
LW, Dal is on the list, but kiddo has ADD something awful so grades aren’t good but not stellar. Also looking at UNB and whichever one it is in Newfoundland. Memorial? And UWO because all the family I actually know anymore is in London, including my dad and stepmom.
Jim, we’re working on getting rid of some debt before we sink any money into our own boat. For at least the next year we hope to crew in some races...there are plenty around here. Then when the money situation is right, evaluate our needs based on where we are (TX or CBI) and how much experience we’ve gotten by
then. I suspect, however, that our first boat will be in the 30’ range for comfortable overnights with the kids and day sails with friends and family.
Old 28-09-2020, 15:49   #13

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superseapig View Post
We had our first real cool front come through today so I guess if I’m going to capsize on purpose I should do it soon �� All the gybing that was done Saturday was most definitely accidental. Controlled gibes are Step 2!
LW, Dal is on the list, but kiddo has ADD something awful so grades aren’t good but not stellar. Also looking at UNB and whichever one it is in Newfoundland. Memorial? And UWO because all the family I actually know anymore is in London, including my dad and stepmom.
Jim, we’re working on getting rid of some debt before we sink any money into our own boat. For at least the next year we hope to crew in some races...there are plenty around here. Then when the money situation is right, evaluate our needs based on where we are (TX or CBI) and how much experience we’ve gotten by
then. I suspect, however, that our first boat will be in the 30’ range for comfortable overnights with the kids and day sails with friends and family.
Sounds like step one was a success - at least you all like sailing. Step two would be to get on a boat that's suitable to handling some weather to determine if anybody is prone to seasickness (there are pills for that but they vary in effectiveness)
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 00:01   #14

Boat: Island Packet 29

Take an "Into to sailing" class out of Kemah. It will be more fun and you dont have to get in the water.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 03:17   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Take an "Into to sailing" class out of Kemah. It will be more fun and you dont have to get in the water.
This is a joke, right?

Don't sidetrack SuperSea, Rockinar.

They've made a brilliant start getting their sailing experience first-hand - which is pentultimate. You can't learn sailing in a classroom. Ultimately, you have to get out there and actually sail a boat.

Go SuperSea!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat