Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2012, 03:18   #76

Re: State Sen. Kehoe Drops Anti Fouling Paint Bill

So how about this one..?
http://www.rboc.org/pdf_documents/RB...ease1-4-12.pdf

My understanding is that the whole copper thing is just based on a numerical theoretical limit, established many years ago. No link to actual effects in the water.
nosediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 12:03   #77
Marine Service Provider

The Zelots here in WA.ST. tried to pass a law that made it illegal to wash the topside of your boat while in the water.

Their claim was the all the airborn pollutants, and nitrates from bird crap was a problem. One of the public meetings when asked if the boat wasn't there then wouldn't all the air born pollutants and bird crap end up in the water any way? Answer yes but it's our responsibility when it lands on the boat.

Lloyd
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 16:47   #78

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37

It's the squeeky wheel syndrom, the loudest complainers get the attention and since "green" is the latest craze right now in Washington State, blanket ban laws are the result. Provideing of course they doesn't effect the inner circle. If copper is proven to be the menace it's made out to be, it should be phased out and replaced with something better, and applicable to EVERYONE. But the law as written is incongruent with current information and also falls right in with a list of other shoot from the hip reactions from our illustrious Gov.
Old 27-07-2012, 01:38   #79

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

Just curious if something like 'Saranwrap' for boats would work. Some time ago I saw a car having a custom 'paint' job applied which had been computer generated on thin plastic and was placed on the car with essentially static cling. The car could then be driven around. It would seem that one might be able to do this with a smooth hull. Put on a layer of plastic film and then periodically peel it off taking all the marine growth with it and replace it. With any luck, some film could be found that would resist attachment making the process easier; or perhaps these things wouldn't like to attach to a film because it isn't hard enough or would not allow solid attachment as they are mostly adapted to living on rocks. Probably this would run afoul of the people who don't want plastic in the oceans.

Has any tried using a hard bottom paint that can just be scrubbed off easily every two weeks or so? What is the optimum time between washings? What is the easiest way to scrub this stuff off? Perhaps some kind of maintenance routine can keep the hull(s) clean. Anyone tried this?
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 02:04   #80
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
The entire pro-copper argument presented here is based on presumptions. Presumption that copper is not a problem in the marine environment, presumption that boaters have some kind of inalienable right to use copper-based paints and presumption anybody advocating for non-copper alternatives is looking to line their pockets. All of which is untrue. But that doesn't stop them from making the argument.
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 06:32   #81
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce626 View Post
Perhaps some kind of maintenance routine can keep the hull(s) clean. Anyone tried this?
Umm... we do between 80,000-100,000 in-water hull cleanings per year in the Bay Area alone.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 17:47   #82

Quote:
Umm... we do between 80,000-100,000 in-water hull cleanings per year in the Bay Area alone.
Yes, but there is no such service here. I have been thru Frisco a few times and I would guess that the bill for cleaning a 42' catamaran would be a non-trivial expense to do every couple of weeks - so my question was more for owners doing this (like the constant removal of bird poo). Still, how do you scrub the bottom of a boat with the ablative paint without excessive paint removal? What kind of scrubbers work best on hard bottoms? What is the best way to hold yourself in place while scrubbing?

The kind of 'scrubber' I find works best so far is the recycled bottom of a sturdy plastic bottle or jug. I cut it off about an inch up from the bottom so I now have a circular or rectangular scrubber with flexible vertical edges. This seems to remove the soft stuff with out much paint damage on hard paint.
Old 27-07-2012, 18:09   #83
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce626 View Post
...so my question was more for owners doing this.
Yeah, why would you ask the opinion of someone who does hull cleaning for a living?
Old 27-07-2012, 18:58   #84

Quote:
Yeah, why would you ask the opinion of someone who does hull cleaning for a living?
Perhaps because that person seems quite vocal and opinionated; perhaps because I think it unlikely that person is going to do any hull cleaning in the Philippines; and perhaps because someone who has the requisite specialized knowledge and experience might want to provide some actually useful information instead of mere ranting; or, perhaps not.
Old 27-07-2012, 19:06   #85
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Anti fouling is anti fouling paint regardless of where it's being cleaned. I would've happily given you the benefit of my 18 years experience, posted pix of the best tools, scrubbers etc., as I have done many times on this and other forums.

Oh well, hope your plastic bottle scraper works out for you.

BTW- if you want to insult me, unprovoked, at least have the courtesy to do it in your own thread, instead of hijacking mine to do it.
Old 28-07-2012, 02:28   #86

fstbttms wrote "if you want to insult me, unprovoked, at least have the courtesy to do it in your own thread, instead of hijacking mine to do it." ==> Hardly unprovoked, but if you are going to whine and be petulant, fine. Your thread was mostly dead anyway, and a simple link to your previous answer instead of attitude would have sufficed. My improvised recycled scrubber seems to work and I posted it for the benefit of others - since we all need to clean hulls.
Old 28-07-2012, 07:05   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

First off, it's not fstbttms' threads, it's a Cruiser's Forum thread. Secondly, if you want to bicker please choose a different forum for it. Stick to the subject at hand.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti fouling, paint