Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2021, 20:19   #106

Re: Starlink and the future of communication at sea

I didn't read the entire thread. I was excited about the launch of Starlink but was dismayed to find subscriptions are geo locked so useless for a coastal cruiser.

Also for those like us that value connectivity when far off shore...what is the odds of Musk wasting money on a satellite out in the abyss?

I havent yet found an inmotion Starlink sat dish....fixed ones cost over $700 in Canada..

I think the dream will be better than reality.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 20:35   #107

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post

Also for those like us that value connectivity when far off shore...what is the odds of Musk wasting money on a satellite out in the abyss?

I think the dream will be better than reality.
The satellites are not stationary so he doesn't need more of them to cover the oceans.

What he needs is the next generation of satellites, which are in production, that have inter-satellite communication. That communication eliminates the need for ground stations.

I'm happy to have decent internet after 7 years of promises from the marina and if it works in the Salish Sea that will be a bonus. From what I've seen, it may be quite soon.
Old 03-02-2021, 21:17   #108

Boat: Outremer 50S

The unfortunate thing, for our use, is this nugget from the beta FAQ:

Quote:
Can I travel with Starlink, or move it to a different address?

Starlink satellites are scheduled to send internet down to all users within a designated area on the ground. This designated area is referred to as a cell. Your Starlink is assigned to a single cell. If you move your Starlink outside of its assigned cell, a satellite will not be scheduled to serve your Starlink and you will not receive internet. This is constrained by geometry and is not arbitrary geofencing.
We may be waiting awhile.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 21:45   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
The satellites are not stationary so he doesn't need more of them to cover the oceans.

I thought they were stationary in relation to the earth? I doubt any off shore sailing would be covered by Starlink but we'll see.
Old 03-02-2021, 21:47   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
The unfortunate thing, for our use, is this nugget from the beta FAQ:
Can I travel with Starlink, or move it to a different address?

Starlink satellites are scheduled to send internet down to all users within a designated area on the ground. This designated area is referred to as a cell. Your Starlink is assigned to a single cell. If you move your Starlink outside of its assigned cell, a satellite will not be scheduled to serve your Starlink and you will not receive internet. This is constrained by geometry and is not arbitrary geofencing.

We may be waiting awhile.

This bit makes me cry, my hope of broadband on the sailboat is fading.
Old 03-02-2021, 22:01   #111

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

It will change. Eventually.

Technology for shipboard use is already used by SpaceX for their droneships.

Further, the zones are fairly large, so maybe we can subscribe to say the Caribbean or the Med in the future, which would already make life for those of us who need internet for work (on a boat) à lot easier.

World wide coverage is definitely planned by Starlink.

The shipping industry is surely also hoping for this, as there is simply not enough competition in the field of sat internet & communications yet to drive the prices down.
Starlink will help and one more network will help this further.
Still, it would be unwise if we end up with several networks of several thousand satellites each.
Old 04-02-2021, 00:55   #112

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
I thought they were stationary in relation to the earth? I doubt any off shore sailing would be covered by Starlink but we'll see.
Eder, you need to read up on the StarLink system more. The whole object of the exercise is to NOT have satellites in geostationary orbits, as the speed-of-light delay (latency) for that is excessive, like half a second to get a reply. The birds are all in low-earth-orbit (LEO) so they can minimize latency, which they're hoping to get down to about 10ms or so.

Since they're in LEO, they can see boats in the ocean as well as a user-terminal on land. Better, actually, as there's less competition over the ocean. But since they can't see a ground-station from out there, they need to relay your signal through other satellites, sort of like Iridium does, & for that they need inter-sat comms. The first 700-ish birds didn't have this, but later birds do, & they're already de-orbiting some of the original birds.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:08   #113

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
... Still, it would be unwise if we end up with several networks of several thousand satellites each.
Why do you say this, Franziska? Competition is usually good for us consumers. If Bezos wants to put up a similar constellation & try to compete for my dollars, I'll happily stand back & watch the feathers fly, & then select the best system for my needs.
Old 04-02-2021, 03:48   #114

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

I am for competition. You probably misunderstood, but I am against polluting space more than necessary. So it should be capped to 2-3 systems.

Maybe we need a system of subletting those satellite fleets for reasonable prices to allow more competition than.

There are already lots and lots of complaints by scientists already badly affected.

Further every satellite increases the collision risk which can lead to a dramatic chain reaction making the space area around earth virtually unusable. This has to be avoid at all cost.

Best would be, if each of these companies putting up thousands of satellites needs to make mandatory contributions as well to tackle the growing space junk problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
Why do you say this, Franziska? Competition is usually good for us consumers. If Bezos wants to put up a similar constellation & try to compete for my dollars, I'll happily stand back & watch the feathers fly, & then select the best system for my needs.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:17   #115

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Further every satellite increases the collision risk which can lead to a dramatic chain reaction making the space area around earth virtually unusable. This has to be avoid at all cost.
There are 170 million objects circling the Earth large enough to damage a satellite. Another 30 or 40 thousand won't be significant.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:21   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
There are 170 million objects circling the Earth large enough to damage a satellite. Another 30 or 40 thousand won't be significant.
Hold my beer.
Lance Monotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:23   #117

Boat: J/42

I got the invitation from Elon a few weeks ago to sign up for Starlilnk beta. They gave me two hours to decide before they moved on to someone else. Seems like they have all the customers they need at the moment.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 14:58   #118

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Read an interesting SIFY short awhile back where the planet had put so much crap up they couldn’t get to orbit due to the massive amount of junk that took out anything attempting to get past. I wonder if that is our future?
Old 04-02-2021, 15:00   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
We are glad you are so excited about it. I'll call when I want any of those great benefits. I already know I don't need them, because I don't have them...

But don't go by me... I have never had a "real time video chat" with anyone, ever, anywhere. Not sure why I would want one in the middle of the ocean. Heck, I make about one PHONE call every other month, and haven't seen a tv show for 40 years, so I am probably more than a bit of an outlier...
You are probably the only sane well balanced person around.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 15:06   #120

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Read an interesting SIFY short awhile back where the planet had put so much crap up they couldn’t get to orbit due to the massive amount of junk that took out anything attempting to get past. I wonder if that is our future?
Yes. Too much junk can effectively make an impenetrable shell around a planet. Preventing anyone from leaving.

On the upside, it’ll cool the planet.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote