Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2021, 21:19   #106
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 459
Re: Starlink and the future of communication at sea

I didn't read the entire thread. I was excited about the launch of Starlink but was dismayed to find subscriptions are geo locked so useless for a coastal cruiser.


Also for those like us that value connectivity when far off shore...what is the odds of Musk wasting money on a satellite out in the abyss?


I havent yet found an inmotion Starlink sat dish....fixed ones cost over $700 in Canada..


I think the dream will be better than reality.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 21:35   #107
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BC
Boat: O'Day 40
Posts: 839
Re: Starlink and the future of communication at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post

Also for those like us that value connectivity when far off shore...what is the odds of Musk wasting money on a satellite out in the abyss?

I think the dream will be better than reality.
The satellites are not stationary so he doesn't need more of them to cover the oceans.

What he needs is the next generation of satellites, which are in production, that have inter-satellite communication. That communication eliminates the need for ground stations.

I'm happy to have decent internet after 7 years of promises from the marina and if it works in the Salish Sea that will be a bonus. From what I've seen, it may be quite soon.
__________________
Trying to make new mistakes.
bcboomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 22:17   #108
Registered User
 
Dsanduril's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Petersburg, AK
Boat: Outremer 50S
Posts: 4,212
Re: Starlink and the future of communication at sea

The unfortunate thing, for our use, is this nugget from the beta FAQ:

Quote:
Can I travel with Starlink, or move it to a different address?

Starlink satellites are scheduled to send internet down to all users within a designated area on the ground. This designated area is referred to as a cell. Your Starlink is assigned to a single cell. If you move your Starlink outside of its assigned cell, a satellite will not be scheduled to serve your Starlink and you will not receive internet. This is constrained by geometry and is not arbitrary geofencing.
We may be waiting awhile.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 22:45   #109
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 459
Re: Starlink and the future of communication at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
The satellites are not stationary so he doesn't need more of them to cover the oceans.

I thought they were stationary in relation to the earth? I doubt any off shore sailing would be covered by Starlink but we'll see.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 22:47   #110
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 459
Re: Starlink and the future of communication at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
The unfortunate thing, for our use, is this nugget from the beta FAQ:
Can I travel with Starlink, or move it to a different address?

Starlink satellites are scheduled to send internet down to all users within a designated area on the ground. This designated area is referred to as a cell. Your Starlink is assigned to a single cell. If you move your Starlink outside of its assigned cell, a satellite will not be scheduled to serve your Starlink and you will not receive internet. This is constrained by geometry and is not arbitrary geofencing.



We may be waiting awhile.

This bit makes me cry, my hope of broadband on the sailboat is fading.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 23:01   #111
Registered User
 
Franziska's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Panschwitz, Germany
Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Posts: 2,414
Re: Starlink and the future of communication at sea

It will change. Eventually.

Technology for shipboard use is already used by SpaceX for their droneships.

Further, the zones are fairly large, so maybe we can subscribe to say the Caribbean or the Med in the future, which would already make life for those of us who need internet for work (on a boat) ŗ lot easier.

World wide coverage is definitely planned by Starlink.

The shipping industry is surely also hoping for this, as there is simply not enough competition in the field of sat internet & communications yet to drive the prices down.
Starlink will help and one more network will help this further.
Still, it would be unwise if we end up with several networks of several thousand satellites each.
Franziska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 01:55   #112
Registered User
 
Jon Hacking's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Posts: 839
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
Re: Starlink and the future of communication at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
I thought they were stationary in relation to the earth? I doubt any off shore sailing would be covered by Starlink but we'll see.
Eder, you need to read up on the StarLink system more. The whole object of the exercise is to NOT have satellites in geostationary orbits, as the speed-of-light delay (latency) for that is excessive, like half a second to get a reply. The birds are all in low-earth-orbit (LEO) so they can minimize latency, which they're hoping to get down to about 10ms or so.

Since they're in LEO, they can see boats in the ocean as well as a user-terminal on land. Better, actually, as there's less competition over the ocean. But since they can't see a ground-station from out there, they need to relay your signal through other satellites, sort of like Iridium does, & for that they need inter-sat comms. The first 700-ish birds didn't have this, but later birds do, & they're already de-orbiting some of the original birds.
__________________
-- Jon Hacking s/v Ocelot
Jon Hacking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:08   #113
Registered User
 
Jon Hacking's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Posts: 839
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
Re: Starlink and the future of communication at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
... Still, it would be unwise if we end up with several networks of several thousand satellites each.
Why do you say this, Franziska? Competition is usually good for us consumers. If Bezos wants to put up a similar constellation & try to compete for my dollars, I'll happily stand back & watch the feathers fly, & then select the best system for my needs.
__________________
-- Jon Hacking s/v Ocelot
Jon Hacking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:48   #114
Registered User
 
Franziska's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Panschwitz, Germany
Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Posts: 2,414
Re: Starlink and the future of communication at sea

I am for competition. You probably misunderstood, but I am against polluting space more than necessary. So it should be capped to 2-3 systems.

Maybe we need a system of subletting those satellite fleets for reasonable prices to allow more competition than.

There are already lots and lots of complaints by scientists already badly affected.

Further every satellite increases the collision risk which can lead to a dramatic chain reaction making the space area around earth virtually unusable. This has to be avoid at all cost.

Best would be, if each of these companies putting up thousands of satellites needs to make mandatory contributions as well to tackle the growing space junk problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
Why do you say this, Franziska? Competition is usually good for us consumers. If Bezos wants to put up a similar constellation & try to compete for my dollars, I'll happily stand back & watch the feathers fly, & then select the best system for my needs.
Franziska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:17   #115
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BC
Boat: O'Day 40
Posts: 839
Re: Starlink and the future of communication at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Further every satellite increases the collision risk which can lead to a dramatic chain reaction making the space area around earth virtually unusable. This has to be avoid at all cost.
There are 170 million objects circling the Earth large enough to damage a satellite. Another 30 or 40 thousand won't be significant.
__________________
Trying to make new mistakes.
bcboomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:21   #116
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Troy, NY
Posts: 148
Re: Starlink and the future of communication at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
There are 170 million objects circling the Earth large enough to damage a satellite. Another 30 or 40 thousand won't be significant.
Hold my beer.
Lance Monotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:23   #117
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 828
Re: Starlink and the future of communication at sea

I got the invitation from Elon a few weeks ago to sign up for Starlilnk beta. They gave me two hours to decide before they moved on to someone else. Seems like they have all the customers they need at the moment.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 15:58   #118
Registered User
 
AKA-None's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Lake City MN
Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Posts: 1,547
Re: Starlink and the future of communication at sea

Read an interesting SIFY short awhile back where the planet had put so much crap up they couldnít get to orbit due to the massive amount of junk that took out anything attempting to get past. I wonder if that is our future?
__________________
Special knowledge can be a terrible disadvantage if it leads you too far along a path that you cannot explain anymore.
Frank Herbert 'Dune'
AKA-None is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 16:00   #119
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,379
Re: Starlink and the future of communication at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
We are glad you are so excited about it. I'll call when I want any of those great benefits. I already know I don't need them, because I don't have them...

But don't go by me... I have never had a "real time video chat" with anyone, ever, anywhere. Not sure why I would want one in the middle of the ocean. Heck, I make about one PHONE call every other month, and haven't seen a tv show for 40 years, so I am probably more than a bit of an outlier...
You are probably the only sane well balanced person around.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 16:06   #120
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Posts: 5,216
Re: Starlink and the future of communication at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Read an interesting SIFY short awhile back where the planet had put so much crap up they couldnít get to orbit due to the massive amount of junk that took out anything attempting to get past. I wonder if that is our future?
Yes. Too much junk can effectively make an impenetrable shell around a planet. Preventing anyone from leaving.

On the upside, itíll cool the planet.
__________________
Epoxy can kill me like a kid smelling peanuts across the lunch room. Even the freshly machined dust from cured epoxy. Please donít suggest using it.
Chotu is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Communication Between States and Exumas Larkin General Sailing Forum 9 28-09-2011 12:08
Garmin 541s and Raymarine ST4000 Autopilot Communication Dulcesuenos Navigation 1 27-09-2011 16:40
State of the Art Boat Nav and Communication jaysandy Marine Electronics 2 27-02-2010 17:33
AT SEA COMMUNICATION? Lloyd Price Liveaboard's Forum 13 22-10-2006 16:58

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:13.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.