Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 14:43   #16

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Stanley Paris circumnavigation

Apparently when he had vessel built it was modular inside and he has pulled the touring interior out and reset it up for this solo circumnavigation.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 20:32   #17

Anyone know what make/model/brand those little electric motors are on the transom?

They look to be able to be swung down into the water and then back out again.

I'd love to learn more about them, they look just the ticket for my transom...
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:04   #18

Boat: PSC 34
Those are generators, not motors. Quite expensive compared to wind generators. If you google Stanly Paris or Kiwi Spirit you can find lots of details.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:47   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanby View Post
Anyone know what make/model/brand those little electric motors are on the transom?

They look to be able to be swung down into the water and then back out again.

I'd love to learn more about them, they look just the ticket for my transom...
They are water generators, not motors.

Watts and Sea - they are extremely efficient water generators developed for the french 'solo racing round the world' sailor group.

Their US Distributor is Bruce Schwab who is a good guy and 'knows offshore' quite well.

But . . . the Wattsand Sea units are unfortunately very expensive, and both they and Bruce are quite focused on the high end racing market and not us cruisers.

---------------------

Looking at the tracker . . . Over the past 41hrs he has averaged 5.25kts (he ran out of wind for a while). He needs to be over 7.5kt average. . . . that means he probably needs to average over 8.5kts when he has breeze to make up for the slow spots. And he needs some decent weather routing.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:37   #20

This is a wonderful goal for him and also sets a good benchmark for others that are 70 plus. The guy is no slacker and has had some wonderful achievements in his business as well as adventures.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:19   #21

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
(note: I choke a bit at the zero carbon claim when he is sailing a carbon hull and mast).
I agree, the embodied energy is enormous.

Look, not bagging the guy but its ludicrous to mention anything about carbon footprint. IMO, I did it because i wanted to makes more sense.

Quote:
Kiwi Spirit measures 63-feet, 8-inches long with a displacement of 32,000 pounds. The hull of Kiwi Spirit is built out of epoxy-infused carbon, E-glass and Kevlar, with a thermo-core that is both stiff and lightweight. There is a hydraulic lifting keel which draws 14-feet, 9-inches (down) for excellent upwind performance and 8-feet, 7-inches when the keel is up. There are four water ballast compartments to help counter the powerful rig and make the boat more comfortable in heavy air. An easy-to-manage sail plan has been incorporated, with all lines leading aft to the cockpit.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:49   #22

Boat: OPB
You got it wrong. All that carbon is sequestered in the hull to keep it out of the atmosphere.....yeah that's it.
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:57   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Better boat speed today.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:27   #24

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

If you go to You Tube and enter Kiwi Spirit,there are some great time-lapse videos of the boat being built.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:30   #25

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparau View Post
I agree, the embodied energy is enormous. Look, not bagging the guy but its ludicrous to mention anything about carbon footprint. IMO, I did it because i wanted to makes more sense.
But the energy could of course have come from low( or zero) carbon sources.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:52   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

He has rounded Bermuda.

Boat speed not so good the last three position reports. To Bermuda he is on a 150day pace, rather than the 120 day target. And he has sailed right into the middle of the Bermuda high . . . I am wondering if his weather routing is up to snuff. The next big challenge, once he gets out of the high, is to clear the bulge of Brazil (which can be very slow upwind and up current if you get the routing wrong)

5 days in and he has lost one of the hydro gens . . . "Only one breakage to date. One of the hydrogenerators, which are my principal source of energy on board, and I have four of them, lost all three of its blades – just simply sheared off. Must have hit an object – or perhaps a shark took a bite! If so, he will need dental work."
Old 08-12-2013, 07:58   #27

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

The Bermuda connection is because of the Dodge Morgan visit to repair gear. Dodge's ATW was officially Bda To Bda
Old 10-12-2013, 20:28   #28

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
But the energy could of course have come from low( or zero) carbon sources.
Sure, wind and solar powered oil drilling, refining and transporting to make the epoxy
Old 10-12-2013, 22:17   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
"Only one breakage to date. One of the hydrogenerators, which are my principal source of energy on board, and I have four of them, lost all three of its blades"
"Principal source"?
Aren't there two wind generators and an acre of solar panels?
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:06   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

He talks about power in today and yesterday's blog. Fundamentally this is an electrically intensive boat, and he needs boat speed to generate power. The solar is an incremental contributor but not able to meet the whole demand by itself. Average wing gen output is almost always disappointing at sea. He really depends on the hydro power (one reason he has 4 units).

Today:
"Cold meals last night, refrigerator and freezer off, unwashed dishes in the sink, no BBC radio. All of these and more are the actions I took to save power which bottomed at 23% and is now at 30.4%. I am getting at 24 volts 9 amps from solar, 3 from wind and 14 from the hydro generators. I would be getting more from solar, but the winds are from the south east heeling my boat and its panels away from the sun."

I believe he was doing 7.2 kts when this was written. So hydro was producing 2 Amps per kt. He had about 10kts of breeze, so wind was producing 1/3 amp per kt. Just shows the energy density of moving water vs air

Yesterday:
"The lack of wind also means that I am getting very little power into the boat. Nothing from the wind generators, as they don’t kick in till I have at least 10 knots (11 mph) of wind. The hydros are not doing much either since I am going too slow to make water power. And now, once again, its overcast weather and thus the solar panels are nonoperational. So now, with the batteries at only 40% charge, I have shut down most of the power including refrigerator, which I will not even open now, electronic displays and soon the freezer. No cooking, etc. I will steer much of today, thus saving power the autopilot would be using. "

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation