Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2019, 13:28   #16

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Standing Watch in High Crime Anchorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Because I'm basically a moron.

I usually mutter to myself my own personal tagline at times like that........"I'm an idiot."
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 13:32   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Ive sailed and anchored in some potentially risky areas, but never anywhere I felt the need to post an anchor watch for security purposes.

Theft can be prepared for easily enough, but I dont think most cruisers are realistically capable or prepared to deal successfully with a violent confrontation.

If I were deliberately venturing into to such a severely bad area (which I would not do in the first place) then I would have crew with applicable experience. I have a few ex-special forces friends who come to mind.

The problem is that many violent boardings happen unexpectedly in areas not known for problems. Two such events have occurred recently in Panama. One in the almost crime free San Blas...a boarding and murder no less...what a shock! Another in a bay with no past history of problems. Unless you plan to have armed security on deck 24 x 7 you cant be prepared for that.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 13:58   #18

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Because I'm basically a moron.

I will be chartering where many people avoid for security reasons. I wouldn't be going except for the fact that people safely sail and anchor where we're going everyday. The areas I wish to cruise may not be perfectly safe, but safe enough.

I only have one night I'm a bit concerned about...that would be the sail back to base from Salt Whistle Bay where we may have to anchor for the night in St Vincent.

I'm not trying to make a huge deal about this.....but I think it would be prudent to keep watch. Just like any other place I thought was a bit sketchy.
Bequia to St Lucia is one day . So you could ajust your trip a little. And you have to to check out anyway
Old 30-07-2019, 14:08   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
Bequia to St Lucia is one day . So you could ajust your trip a little. And you have to to check out anyway
Yea.....winds permitting.

I'm told sailing down to Bequia from Marigot Bay may be a 10 hour-ish sail. If we could do same on the return leg, all the better.
Old 30-07-2019, 14:14   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
May I suggest you get your dinghy and outboard way out of the water too.
Absolutely! Up on the davits is SOP.......chaining will be done if provided.

If not?...Hello, charter company?....somebody stole our, I mean YOUR dinghy. Could you please send over another one?...chop chop!
Old 30-07-2019, 15:35   #21

Quote:
Assume no great security system....no motion detector lights, alarms or weapons. Think basic charter boat.

You feel the need to stand watch for security reasons.....Would you stand watch with lights on and make your presence known?... OR, hide in the dark ready to pounce?

Have any of you stood watch before because you just happen to be in a known high crime area.

Sounds silly I know......but will be my reality in a few months.
Where are you chartering?
Old 30-07-2019, 17:19   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Where are you chartering?
We're starting in Rodney Bay and sailing south to the Grenadines and back.

I'm curious......you mentioned with your vast experience you've never stood watch for security reasons. In light of recent events, are you planning on avoiding some of your previous cruising areas?

I look forward to cruising parts of the western Caribbean someday.
Old 30-07-2019, 18:01   #23

Quote:
We're starting in Rodney Bay and sailing south to the Grenadines and back.

I'm curious......you mentioned with your vast experience you've never stood watch for security reasons. In light of recent events, are you planning on avoiding some of your previous cruising areas?

I look forward to cruising parts of the western Caribbean someday.
Yes, I wont be spending more time on, or crossing, the Nicaraguan Banks this season, as much as I would love to. There have been a number of full on piracy incidents there in recent years (mother ships & and multiple panga full of armed men). No thanks.

I also skipped both St Lucia and St Vincent on a delivery a couple of years ago.

While Ive not stood watch all night for security reasons, I do secure the boat at night and do pay attention.

For details on reported security incidents see CSSN.

https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/
Old 30-07-2019, 19:43   #24

Quote:
While Ive not stood watch all night for security reasons, I do secure the boat at night and do pay attention.
Of that I have no doubt.

Cheers!
Old 30-07-2019, 20:01   #25

Quote:
Of that I have no doubt.

Cheers!
I was just thinking back, I have stayed aboard to keep an eye on the boat while guests went ashore.

Have you considered chartering somewhere else?
Old 30-07-2019, 20:29   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I was just thinking back, I have stayed aboard to keep an eye on the boat while guests went ashore.

Have you considered chartering somewhere else?
Oh yes......we have a few more places we will charter before I purchase our retirement boat in a couple of years......Tahiti and Tonga are probably next.

There are lots of reasons why we want do this particular trip so we are committed to it. We will also be land touring St Lucia while there.

We considered Belize, but not too interested in staying inside a reef dodging coral heads. We just came back from Phuket.....not enough wind. The Whitsundays look nice but nothing really there according to my Aussie mate. We've already got a taste of the Med....have done the Abacos and have sailed the BVIs many times starting back in the mid 80s.

Once we check off a few of the Windwards, we can visit the rest of the Caribbean on our own vessel.
Old 30-07-2019, 22:27   #27
cruiser

If you’re only concerned about one anchorage, just stay in a marina for the night and get a good nights sleep.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 01:05   #28

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

You have to have a suitable marina at hand.... Not sure if he has.
Old 31-07-2019, 04:27   #29

Most of the events reported on CSSN for St Lucia/St Vincent are non-violent thefts. There are a few violent act reports...most of which happened ashore.

Lots of boats do visit w/out incident. Its not like its Somalia, but it does have crime issues.

Maybe the charter companies should start renting out dogs too.

Thats quite a sample of charter destinations, good on ya for building some experience before buying! [emoji106]
Old 31-07-2019, 04:34   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
You have to have a suitable marina at hand.... Not sure if he has.
There are marinas in St Lucia/St Vincent. At least you can get a good nights sleep, but then youve still got to be concerned about crime ashore outside the marina.

We considered stopping in Rodney Bay last time past there, but were only going to Grenada so just kept sailing.

Tags
anchor, grass