Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2019, 16:53   #121

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft
Re: Standing Watch in High Crime Anchorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captndave1 View Post
I carry a tactical flashlight that has a high intensity flash feature. With one of these flashing in the eye of an intruder, he will high tail it.
How much did you pay for it, if I can ask? I was looking at those myself, and recently ordered a 300 lumen model for about $12 - haven't received it yet. It's an intriguing idea if it works. I know that occasions where I've had just a bright flashlight in my eyes from a close range - it can be very disorientating. Hard to swing accurately, etc. The strobe effect allegedly interferes with brain waves or something, supposedly.

I'd be interested in how well anyone thinks they work. Might buy 5 seconds or so - I'm not sure what practical effect that would have though in many situations. I do think it could buy you a few seconds though, if you literally had it handy..
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 17:24   #122

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Been a while since I bought it, but I think it was somewhere around 12 dollars, in retrospect, I should have bought one of better quality, though.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 18:08   #123

Boat: Tartan 3800

Only on the internet does anyone think that a middle aged, slightly overweight male with a fancy flashlight will win a fight against a 26 year old with a knife who beats people up every day for fun.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 19:01   #124

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

There will always be someone with more firepower than you, you do what you can to deal with those who do not respect the law or anyone else.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 00:18   #125

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Only on the internet does anyone think that a middle aged, slightly overweight male with a fancy flashlight will win a fight against a 26 year old with a knife who beats people up every day for fun.
Agreed, but it may be useful as a further deterrent to boarding in the first place.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 21:49   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailgirl58 View Post
We did a charter there 4 years ago with no issues except IN Salt Whistle. We moved to Saline Bay for that night the on to Union Island the next day. Tyrell is also very nice at Carriacou.
What issue did you have in Salt Whistle?
Old 10-08-2019, 00:27   #127

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
While I agree in a back alley fight with a determined aggressor, of course the old man gettin a beatdown. But we're not talking about determined aggressors, or people determined to assault YOU specifically. 99% of thieves are opportunists. The whole point of this thread was to show how you are not the lowest hanging fruit. How you are not the laziest to leave your dinghy on a painter instead of hauling her up, the cheapest not to install decent lighting, the most who-cares to not stand there being all middle-aged and overweight and still walking around making sure things are as they should be. Even here in the Med once or twice, even though I wasn't standing watch (just like to be up late drinking beer in the cockpit), my visible presence deterred at least two suspicious dinghy drive bys (local, unlit, moving very slow, no destination just circling boats around the anchorage). I popped up, dinghy motored over to the dark side of the bay. Fishermen? Probably. Curious kids? Who knows. Opportunists looking for something easy to pick? Maybe all three. Standing watch keeps you from looking like the easiest target, plain and simple. Even a fat old guy can get a VHF call or phone call off while the determined aggressors are boarding, as opposed to the dude snoring with the hatch open on the unlit boat next door.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 00:37   #128
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
While I agree in a back alley fight with a determined aggressor, of course the old man gettin a beatdown. But we're not talking about determined aggressors, or people determined to assault YOU specifically. 99% of thieves are opportunists. The whole point of this thread was to show how you are not the lowest hanging fruit. How you are not the laziest to leave your dinghy on a painter instead of hauling her up, the cheapest not to install decent lighting, the most who-cares to not stand there being all middle-aged and overweight and still walking around making sure things are as they should be. Even here in the Med once or twice, even though I wasn't standing watch (just like to be up late drinking beer in the cockpit), my visible presence deterred at least two suspicious dinghy drive bys (local, unlit, moving very slow, no destination just circling boats around the anchorage). I popped up, dinghy motored over to the dark side of the bay. Fishermen? Probably. Curious kids? Who knows. Opportunists looking for something easy to pick? Maybe all three. Standing watch keeps you from looking like the easiest target, plain and simple. Even a fat old guy can get a VHF call or phone call off while the determined aggressors are boarding, as opposed to the dude snoring with the hatch open on the unlit boat next door.
If you’re referring to the late night guy in the Gouvia anchorage... he’s a fisherman, he trolls the area every night. I agree with the points you make.

Our boat can be lit up like a Christmas tree if necessary to keep other boats from running into it at night, the practice is dual purpose.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:45   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
What issue did you have in Salt Whistle?
We came too close to the reef and were temporarily stuck. Before we could get off ourselves, some guys in a boat rushed out and were jumping on our boat with lines. We got off the reef, thanked the guys and went to anchor and the guys came back to our boat a bit later and said we had to go up and pay. We said we’d be happy to give them some money. We went on shore to one of the huts where all the guys were hanging out. Mind you, we did not feel threatened then as there were a lot of other people around the area. The “leader” was definitely high. He said we owed $150. We did not have that kind of money, but we offered $50 which was the cash we had left. He said no. We gave the money too one of the other guys and went to leave. Th “leader” said that we’d better be prepared because he’d be coming to our boat after dark.
That was all it took. I said “ I don’t like being threatened”.
We returned to our boat and were pulling up anchor when a few of the tour boat men came over and asked us what happened. We told them and they’d said they’d already reported the incident to authorities and that we should stay. I said no way. So, we pulled anchor and moved to Saline Bay in the pouring rain. I was pretty shaken up by it all.
Sailgirl58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:37   #130
cruiser

On a side note... how practical is it to have an AK47 aboard in the Caribbean? Is it worth the trouble when checking in and out? Or how about a shotgun? Any easier with the authorities? I wasn’t planning on having any firearms onboard, but if it’s not too much of a hassle...

Anyone with some recent experience? Probably best to send me a private message so we don’t start WWIII with the anti gun zealots.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 14:03   #131

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
On a side note... how practical is it to have an AK47 aboard in the Caribbean? Is it worth the trouble when checking in and out? Or how about a shotgun? Any easier with the authorities? I wasn’t planning on having any firearms onboard, but if it’s not too much of a hassle...

Anyone with some recent experience? Probably best to send me a private message so we don’t start WWIII with the anti gun zealots.

About as practical as bringing one to a Walmart.

You can find targets closer to home though. Why drag such a heavy object all the way to the West Indies.

I would rather bet on colored pencils, sugarless chewing gum, etc. These tend to make local kids smile.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 14:06   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailgirl58 View Post
We came too close to the reef and were temporarily stuck. Before we could get off ourselves, some guys in a boat rushed out and were jumping on our boat with lines. We got off the reef, thanked the guys and went to anchor and the guys came back to our boat a bit later and said we had to go up and pay. We said we’d be happy to give them some money. We went on shore to one of the huts where all the guys were hanging out. Mind you, we did not feel threatened then as there were a lot of other people around the area. The “leader” was definitely high. He said we owed $150. We did not have that kind of money, but we offered $50 which was the cash we had left. He said no. We gave the money too one of the other guys and went to leave. Th “leader” said that we’d better be prepared because he’d be coming to our boat after dark.
That was all it took. I said “ I don’t like being threatened”.
We returned to our boat and were pulling up anchor when a few of the tour boat men came over and asked us what happened. We told them and they’d said they’d already reported the incident to authorities and that we should stay. I said no way. So, we pulled anchor and moved to Saline Bay in the pouring rain. I was pretty shaken up by it all.
Sorry that happened to you....I hate stories like that.

If I understand this correctly, this a$$hole threatened you in front of witnesses?

From what I'm told, the authorities probably wouldn't have been of any help and you still would've stood a chance of a late night boarding.

IMHO you did the right thing in moving. Just sucks that you needed to do so.
Old 10-08-2019, 15:20   #133

Boat: Leopard 38+; Corsair F-31UC

I'm currently in Panama and concerned about the recent events in San Blas and Linton area. More specifically, I befriended the Buddy boat of the San Blas victims. I cannot tell you how that touched me more than anything, seeing the trauma that they experienced, even though they were not present the night of the incident. I have a history of public service including law-enforcement and decided to take the next step protecting myself and my assets.

I have no affiliation with this company but I am 110% endorsing it after I just installed it within the last two weeks. It certainly addresses many of the issues discussed on what is now nine pages of security conversations. Fingers crossed that mine will never activate with the event of an unsolicited boarding.

https://www.piratelights.com/

Don
S/V Bonzai
Trvlmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 15:34   #134

Boat: Seafarer36c

You never get searched in the western Caribbean unless you need a tow or get stuck on a reef. Catching on fire is ok. Plenty of people don't think something like that would ever happen to them, so plenty of boats have guns and make no mention of them.
If I killed somebody in a remote anchorage, I would not be telling anybody anything, it would go unreported. I have no moral obligation left for someone that was trying to rob or kill me. That's not likely to happen to us, as all we have is a flare gun and bear spray.
I do use parachute flares cause the rocket motor and melted nylon string are a good weapon if you shoot somebody in the face.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 16:02   #135

Boat: Seafarer36c

You never get searched in the western Caribbean unless you need a tow or get stuck on a reef. Catching on fire is ok. Plenty of people don't think something like that would ever happen to them, so plenty of boats have guns and make no mention of them.
If I killed somebody in a remote anchorage, I would not be telling anybody anything, it would go unreported. I have no moral obligation left for someone that was trying to rob or kill me in the third world. That's not likely to happen to us, as all we have is a flare gun and bear spray.
I do use parachute flares cause the rocket motor and melted nylon string are a good weapon if you could hit somebody in the face. That's what old flares are good for, target practice.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, grass