Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2019, 16:53   #121
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Southern MD, Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Catalina & Maycraft
Posts: 996
Re: Standing Watch in High Crime Anchorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captndave1 View Post
I carry a tactical flashlight that has a high intensity flash feature. With one of these flashing in the eye of an intruder, he will high tail it.
How much did you pay for it, if I can ask? I was looking at those myself, and recently ordered a 300 lumen model for about $12 - haven't received it yet. It's an intriguing idea if it works. I know that occasions where I've had just a bright flashlight in my eyes from a close range - it can be very disorientating. Hard to swing accurately, etc. The strobe effect allegedly interferes with brain waves or something, supposedly.

I'd be interested in how well anyone thinks they work. Might buy 5 seconds or so - I'm not sure what practical effect that would have though in many situations. I do think it could buy you a few seconds though, if you literally had it handy..
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 17:24   #122
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Boat: Irwin Citation 34
Posts: 256
Re: Standing Watch in High Crime Anchorage

Been a while since I bought it, but I think it was somewhere around 12 dollars, in retrospect, I should have bought one of better quality, though.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 18:08   #123
Registered User
 
Jammer's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Boat: Tartan 3800
Posts: 3,057
Re: Standing Watch in High Crime Anchorage

Only on the internet does anyone think that a middle aged, slightly overweight male with a fancy flashlight will win a fight against a 26 year old with a knife who beats people up every day for fun.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 19:01   #124
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Boat: Irwin Citation 34
Posts: 256
Re: Standing Watch in High Crime Anchorage

There will always be someone with more firepower than you, you do what you can to deal with those who do not respect the law or anyone else.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 00:18   #125
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: NZL - Currently Run Aground Ashore..
Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Posts: 2,126
Re: Standing Watch in High Crime Anchorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Only on the internet does anyone think that a middle aged, slightly overweight male with a fancy flashlight will win a fight against a 26 year old with a knife who beats people up every day for fun.
Agreed, but it may be useful as a further deterrent to boarding in the first place.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 21:49   #126
Registered User
 
Saleen411's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Discovery Bay, CA
Posts: 1,184
Re: Standing Watch in High Crime Anchorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailgirl58 View Post
We did a charter there 4 years ago with no issues except IN Salt Whistle. We moved to Saline Bay for that night the on to Union Island the next day. Tyrell is also very nice at Carriacou.
What issue did you have in Salt Whistle?
__________________
"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"- Andre' Gide
Saleen411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 00:27   #127
Registered User
 
Sojourner's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: On the boat!
Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Posts: 878
Re: Standing Watch in High Crime Anchorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Only on the internet does anyone think that a middle aged, slightly overweight male with a fancy flashlight will win a fight against a 26 year old with a knife who beats people up every day for fun.
While I agree in a back alley fight with a determined aggressor, of course the old man gettin a beatdown. But we're not talking about determined aggressors, or people determined to assault YOU specifically. 99% of thieves are opportunists. The whole point of this thread was to show how you are not the lowest hanging fruit. How you are not the laziest to leave your dinghy on a painter instead of hauling her up, the cheapest not to install decent lighting, the most who-cares to not stand there being all middle-aged and overweight and still walking around making sure things are as they should be. Even here in the Med once or twice, even though I wasn't standing watch (just like to be up late drinking beer in the cockpit), my visible presence deterred at least two suspicious dinghy drive bys (local, unlit, moving very slow, no destination just circling boats around the anchorage). I popped up, dinghy motored over to the dark side of the bay. Fishermen? Probably. Curious kids? Who knows. Opportunists looking for something easy to pick? Maybe all three. Standing watch keeps you from looking like the easiest target, plain and simple. Even a fat old guy can get a VHF call or phone call off while the determined aggressors are boarding, as opposed to the dude snoring with the hatch open on the unlit boat next door.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 00:37   #128
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pangaea
Posts: 10,856
Re: Standing Watch in High Crime Anchorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
While I agree in a back alley fight with a determined aggressor, of course the old man gettin a beatdown. But we're not talking about determined aggressors, or people determined to assault YOU specifically. 99% of thieves are opportunists. The whole point of this thread was to show how you are not the lowest hanging fruit. How you are not the laziest to leave your dinghy on a painter instead of hauling her up, the cheapest not to install decent lighting, the most who-cares to not stand there being all middle-aged and overweight and still walking around making sure things are as they should be. Even here in the Med once or twice, even though I wasn't standing watch (just like to be up late drinking beer in the cockpit), my visible presence deterred at least two suspicious dinghy drive bys (local, unlit, moving very slow, no destination just circling boats around the anchorage). I popped up, dinghy motored over to the dark side of the bay. Fishermen? Probably. Curious kids? Who knows. Opportunists looking for something easy to pick? Maybe all three. Standing watch keeps you from looking like the easiest target, plain and simple. Even a fat old guy can get a VHF call or phone call off while the determined aggressors are boarding, as opposed to the dude snoring with the hatch open on the unlit boat next door.
If you’re referring to the late night guy in the Gouvia anchorage... he’s a fisherman, he trolls the area every night. I agree with the points you make.

Our boat can be lit up like a Christmas tree if necessary to keep other boats from running into it at night, the practice is dual purpose.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:45   #129
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 9
Re: Standing Watch in High Crime Anchorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
What issue did you have in Salt Whistle?
We came too close to the reef and were temporarily stuck. Before we could get off ourselves, some guys in a boat rushed out and were jumping on our boat with lines. We got off the reef, thanked the guys and went to anchor and the guys came back to our boat a bit later and said we had to go up and pay. We said we’d be happy to give them some money. We went on shore to one of the huts where all the guys were hanging out. Mind you, we did not feel threatened then as there were a lot of other people around the area. The “leader” was definitely high. He said we owed $150. We did not have that kind of money, but we offered $50 which was the cash we had left. He said no. We gave the money too one of the other guys and went to leave. Th “leader” said that we’d better be prepared because he’d be coming to our boat after dark.
That was all it took. I said “ I don’t like being threatened”.
We returned to our boat and were pulling up anchor when a few of the tour boat men came over and asked us what happened. We told them and they’d said they’d already reported the incident to authorities and that we should stay. I said no way. So, we pulled anchor and moved to Saline Bay in the pouring rain. I was pretty shaken up by it all.
Sailgirl58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:37   #130
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pangaea
Posts: 10,856
Re: Standing Watch in High Crime Anchorage

On a side note... how practical is it to have an AK47 aboard in the Caribbean? Is it worth the trouble when checking in and out? Or how about a shotgun? Any easier with the authorities? I wasn’t planning on having any firearms onboard, but if it’s not too much of a hassle...

Anyone with some recent experience? Probably best to send me a private message so we don’t start WWIII with the anti gun zealots.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 14:03   #131
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 20,409
Re: Standing Watch in High Crime Anchorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
On a side note... how practical is it to have an AK47 aboard in the Caribbean? Is it worth the trouble when checking in and out? Or how about a shotgun? Any easier with the authorities? I wasnít planning on having any firearms onboard, but if itís not too much of a hassle...

Anyone with some recent experience? Probably best to send me a private message so we donít start WWIII with the anti gun zealots.

About as practical as bringing one to a Walmart.


You can find targets closer to home though. Why drag such a heavy object all the way to the West Indies.


I would rather bet on colored pencils, sugarless chewing gum, etc. These tend to make local kids smile.



barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 14:06   #132
Registered User
 
Saleen411's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Discovery Bay, CA
Posts: 1,184
Re: Standing Watch in High Crime Anchorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailgirl58 View Post
We came too close to the reef and were temporarily stuck. Before we could get off ourselves, some guys in a boat rushed out and were jumping on our boat with lines. We got off the reef, thanked the guys and went to anchor and the guys came back to our boat a bit later and said we had to go up and pay. We said we’d be happy to give them some money. We went on shore to one of the huts where all the guys were hanging out. Mind you, we did not feel threatened then as there were a lot of other people around the area. The “leader” was definitely high. He said we owed $150. We did not have that kind of money, but we offered $50 which was the cash we had left. He said no. We gave the money too one of the other guys and went to leave. Th “leader” said that we’d better be prepared because he’d be coming to our boat after dark.
That was all it took. I said “ I don’t like being threatened”.
We returned to our boat and were pulling up anchor when a few of the tour boat men came over and asked us what happened. We told them and they’d said they’d already reported the incident to authorities and that we should stay. I said no way. So, we pulled anchor and moved to Saline Bay in the pouring rain. I was pretty shaken up by it all.
Sorry that happened to you....I hate stories like that.

If I understand this correctly, this a$$hole threatened you in front of witnesses?

From what I'm told, the authorities probably wouldn't have been of any help and you still would've stood a chance of a late night boarding.

IMHO you did the right thing in moving. Just sucks that you needed to do so.
__________________
"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"- Andre' Gide
Saleen411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 15:20   #133
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Somewhere during a 10 year circumnavigation
Boat: Leopard 38+; Corsair F-31UC
Posts: 52
Re: Standing Watch in High Crime Anchorage

I'm currently in Panama and concerned about the recent events in San Blas and Linton area. More specifically, I befriended the Buddy boat of the San Blas victims. I cannot tell you how that touched me more than anything, seeing the trauma that they experienced, even though they were not present the night of the incident. I have a history of public service including law-enforcement and decided to take the next step protecting myself and my assets.

I have no affiliation with this company but I am 110% endorsing it after I just installed it within the last two weeks. It certainly addresses many of the issues discussed on what is now nine pages of security conversations. Fingers crossed that mine will never activate with the event of an unsolicited boarding.

https://www.piratelights.com/

Don
S/V Bonzai
Trvlmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 15:34   #134
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Oregon
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 5,563
Re: Standing Watch in High Crime Anchorage

You never get searched in the western Caribbean unless you need a tow or get stuck on a reef. Catching on fire is ok. Plenty of people don't think something like that would ever happen to them, so plenty of boats have guns and make no mention of them.
If I killed somebody in a remote anchorage, I would not be telling anybody anything, it would go unreported. I have no moral obligation left for someone that was trying to rob or kill me. That's not likely to happen to us, as all we have is a flare gun and bear spray.
I do use parachute flares cause the rocket motor and melted nylon string are a good weapon if you shoot somebody in the face.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 16:02   #135
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Oregon
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 5,563
Re: Standing Watch in High Crime Anchorage

You never get searched in the western Caribbean unless you need a tow or get stuck on a reef. Catching on fire is ok. Plenty of people don't think something like that would ever happen to them, so plenty of boats have guns and make no mention of them.
If I killed somebody in a remote anchorage, I would not be telling anybody anything, it would go unreported. I have no moral obligation left for someone that was trying to rob or kill me in the third world. That's not likely to happen to us, as all we have is a flare gun and bear spray.
I do use parachute flares cause the rocket motor and melted nylon string are a good weapon if you could hit somebody in the face. That's what old flares are good for, target practice.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
anchor, grass

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
check lists before leaving, on anchorage, before storm at anchorage and on arrival kriskro Seamanship & Boat Handling 23 17-02-2018 18:29
Pocket watch that chimes out watch bells dmksails Fishing, Recreation & Fun 2 05-11-2016 04:45
What are the "gotchas" I need to watch for when replacing standing rigging? Jcolman Construction, Maintenance & Refit 20 08-02-2014 15:30
European Violent Crime Rates Twice as High as USA ! LakeSuperior Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany 41 24-01-2013 18:33
Where's the best anchorage to watch fireworks? dennisjay Cruising News & Events 1 03-07-2011 06:34

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:47.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.