Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2021, 19:12   #1

Boat: Horizon PC52
St Lucia/Martinique in September?

St Lucia/Martinique in September?
Heading to the Windwards this September for the first time. Would anyone care to comment on what to expect as far as business closures during this season? Especially for St Lucia and Martinique? Any other helpful advice on ports to visit and things to do, would also be appreciated.
Kings Crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 20:31   #2

Re: St Lucia/Martinique in September?

"Go to St. Lucia and Martinique in September during the peak of the hurricane and tropical storm season, they said."

"It will be fun they said."

The statistical peak day of the hurricane season – the day you are most likely to find a tropical cyclone somewhere in the Atlantic basin – is September 10th.

From mid-August through mid-October, the activity spikes, accounting for 78 percent of the tropical storm days, 87 percent of the category 1 and 2 hurricane days (Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale), and a whopping 96 percent of the major (category 3, 4 and 5) hurricane days.

Reference the attached image from NOAA: The number of tropical storm and hurricane days for the Atlantic Basin (the Atlantic Ocean, the Caribbean Sea, and the Gulf of Mexico).

Martinique's history with tropical systems

(br)=brush (ts)=Tropical Storm (bd)=Back Door,meaning coming from over land from opposite coast.

Years within or near core

1872ts,1875,1876ts,1878ts,1879ts,1880tsbr,1883m,18 86tsbr,1887tsbr,1888ts,1889ts,1891m,1893br,1894m,1 894,1895ts,1896ts,1896tsbr,1898br,1901ts,1903,1908 tsbr,1915tsbr,1916br,
1916-2tsbr,1918ts,1926ts,1931-2ts,1941tsbr,1942ts,1943tsbr,1945tsbr,1949tsbr,195 1,1951tsbr,1956br,1958ts,1960ts,1963,1967ts,1970ts ,1979m,1980brm,1994ts,1995ts,1995,2007,
2010br,2012tsbr,2013ts,2014ts,2016ts,2017brm,2018t sbr,2018ts,2019tsbr

58 times in 149yrs end of 2020

Reference link:
Martinique hurricanes.

Based on the above record Martinique is most likely to be hit between September 7 and 13th.

"Could be exciting they said."

As to business closures, well I suspect that will be largely dependent on the weather and whether the COVID-19 pandemic continues to be adverse. Reference noonsite for recent biosecurity protocols.

Martinique has been closed for a long, long time.
https://www.noonsite.com/place/marti...curity-section
Yachting Protocols:

May 2021

The entry into Martinique of pleasure craft is authorized only for nationals of the European Union, of the Schengen area or holders of a legal residence permit in France who also must have an overriding personal or family reason, an emergency health reason or a professional reason, to enter.

Prior authorization to enter must be granted by CROSS AG and supporting documents provided.
See the Government Conditions of Entry for pleasure craft for full details: https://www.martinique.gouv.fr/Polit...-la-Martinique

Reference for St. Lucia:
https://www.noonsite.com/place/st-lu...curity-section

And then there is the issue of volcanos, never know when one of those will blow.

There are two volcanoes on the Island of Martinique, the tallest Mount-Pelée is still active and on May 8, 1902, it erupted destroying the then capital of the island, St. Pierre and killing over 30,000 people.

The recent eruption and decimation of St. Vincent sent ash towards all the neighboring islands and a lot of refugees which likely will make both your destinations crowded with St. Vincents [not sure what one calls someone from St. Vincent, they can't all be Saints could they]

Hope you have an enjoyable time. All the best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	peak of hurricane season.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	240318  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 11:20   #3

Montanan,

Thanks for the reply. Just playing the odds on hurricane season. I believe that Grenada is less likely to be hit by a hurricane than the boat’s current location, BVI.

Covid restrictions in BVI have drastically improved, hoping that much of the Caribbean will also follow suite.

Thanks again for the info!
Old 14-06-2021, 11:32   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Crown View Post
Montanan,

Thanks for the reply. Just playing the odds on hurricane season. I believe that Grenada is less likely to be hit by a hurricane than the boat’s current location, BVI.

Covid restrictions in BVI have drastically improved, hoping that much of the Caribbean will also follow suite.

Thanks again for the info!
Go south, Grenada is the favored place. Definitely will be skipping St. Vincent, a.k.a. Ashland.

Arrange for a place for your boat, now in anticipation of voyaging from the BVI. And indeed review the protocols for Grenada - Noonsite is wonderful in that regard.

Or come north, even less likely to have a hurricane.

All the best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	do not have hurricanes.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	240348  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 11:49   #5

Montanan,

We spent last September in the Keys. Looking for a change of scenery. Plus, a lot closer.

Looking at Port Louis Marina, Grenada. Do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks for the noonsite tip!
Old 26-09-2021, 12:53   #6

Boat: Lagoon 39

I would not recommend heading to Grenada unless you plan on staying on your boat quarantined for most of your time there. Some areas see 1/2 inhabitants testing positive and the entire island is in lockdown weekend and not much more open weekdays with many many restrictions as well as very costly COVID tests.
I just went there in an attempt to store for a month and was never able to get a flight out of there so I sailed back and ended up in Martinique.
Port Louis Marina didn’t even have a phone that could reach Martinique and it took several emails and requests through local friends to get approval to enter Martinique under my French passport.
Sadly the Windward islands have been severely hit by COVID and have no choice but to take drastic measures like those..
On a side note entry to Grenada is also only allowed for fully vaccinated people..
It may be the least imperfect option I understand and if you so decide I’ll be happy to share more details.
All the best
BenCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 16:54   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 57

It is September and I've been in St. Lucia all month. I'm in Rodney Bay and it is very nice here. At the moment there's a curfew during the week from 18:00 onwards and all day Sundays due to COVID-19 but that should end soon (I hope). While nominally in the hurricane belt there odds are against a storm hitting here, and "escape" to the south is only a day or two sail away. I can recommend it.

Entry is not complicated for the vaccinated - if the 5-day PCR test windows has passed upon arrival, you get a test and only need to quarantine until the results come back negative, which is usually the next day.

Tags
Martinique, St Lucia