Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2020, 15:18   #31

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: SSB Radio at home?

While an attic antenna might work, it wont work well and depending on how your attic and roof are constructed, it wont work at all.

The antenna is FAR more important than the radio - an ineffective antenna connected to the most expensive radio will work like crap but the converse isnt true.

Building an antenna cheaply can be simple. It's efficacy will depend more on height than any other consideration regardless of what frequencies interest you.

A novice trying to fix an old, relatively cheap or poorly aligned receiver is an exercise in futility. Particularly now with relatively poor solar activity when the antenna becomes even more important.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:00   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Seriously one should research this..

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/about-rtl-sdr/

..relatively inexpensive...minimal set-up
That is very interesting.

The smaller radios that run off of batteries are interesting since we could use the radio in a power outage. The computer, not so much. But, the RTL-SDR looks so much more useful. The bang for the buck looks pretty danged good.

Thanks. I think this is the better approach for now. I can always buy a battery powered radio if we really need it.

Thanks,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:09   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
While an attic antenna might work, it wont work well and depending on how your attic and roof are constructed, it wont work at all.

The antenna is FAR more important than the radio - an ineffective antenna connected to the most expensive radio will work like crap but the converse isnt true.

Building an antenna cheaply can be simple. It's efficacy will depend more on height than any other consideration regardless of what frequencies interest you.

A novice trying to fix an old, relatively cheap or poorly aligned receiver is an exercise in futility. Particularly now with relatively poor solar activity when the antenna becomes even more important.

Yeppers, I know the antenna is key, and one reason I have not jumped into HAM.

Ironically, we have a private location, nobody can see the house, we are at the top of a hill, and have plenty of land to put up a tower. But I just don't want to go to that expense. Stringing wire can be done but will the wifey approve? Thus the attic. We do have an OTA attic antenna which worked, until it did not, after a year or two. It was amplified and I think the amplifier died. Just replaced it with a flat antennae at the TV which works just fine.

The roof is all wood and asphalt shingles. No metal. We wanted a metal roof but it was not going to work out for couple of reasons when we built the house. So glad we did not go metal due to OTA TV and cell phones.

I could hang wire from trees if I can figure out how to get the wire to a tree from the house... A way that meets the wifey approval.

Thanks,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:23   #34

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:

I have one. It functions. Not a very good radio.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:37   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Yeppers, I know the antenna is key, and one reason I have not jumped into HAM.

Ironically, we have a private location, nobody can see the house, we are at the top of a hill, and have plenty of land to put up a tower. But I just don't want to go to that expense. Stringing wire can be done but will the wifey approve? Thus the attic. We do have an OTA attic antenna which worked, until it did not, after a year or two. It was amplified and I think the amplifier died. Just replaced it with a flat antennae at the TV which works just fine.

The roof is all wood and asphalt shingles. No metal. We wanted a metal roof but it was not going to work out for couple of reasons when we built the house. So glad we did not go metal due to OTA TV and cell phones.

I could hang wire from trees if I can figure out how to get the wire to a tree from the house... A way that meets the wifey approval.

Thanks,
Dan
One of the more popular and recomended by K3FEF..a well known user of on line WebSDR internet sites..

k3fef.com:8901

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...08ccc5cdb57a70
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 07:29   #36

Boat: no sail boat yet :(

Quote:

I have run various sdr's, super cheap, but the software options to deal with them can be annoying. If you are PC-literate 'under the hood' they are no problem.

I was splitting the feed in my 590SG to an SDR to see whole bands for a while. But then I got the 7300 and the 590 got relegated to the alternate QTH.
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 07:44   #37

I agree with all that's been said thus far.
- Listening is legal. Requires no license.
- There are MANY online resources where you can stream Over-the-Air (OTA) transmissions and some "virtual" platforms that simulate voice/teletype/morse code transmissions.
- Software Defined Radio (SDR) is a program or App that turns your laptop or phone into a sophisticated "receiver" with the addition of a relatively simple USB "black box" and simple antenna (which can be as simple as a length of wire hung from a tree or pole).
- Receive Only SWL/HAM radios are relatively inexpensive. The expensive part of HAM/SSB radio is the transmitting, with power and frequency management electronics, "tuned" antennas (either measured wire or electronic "tuners" to fool the wire/signal into thinking its a different wave length)

But if you are just "getting back into radio", and have a particular interest in the "stand alone" nature of radio (ie: not relying infrastructure than can fail - internet, electric grid, wifi, ISP "tracking" your activities, etc)

******.......THEN I SUGGEST GETTING A MODERN, SMALL AND INEXPENSIVE SHORT-WAVE-LISTENING RADIO!

There are MANY options on the market. I own most of them. HOWEVER by far the best value-for-features that I've come across of late is the C Crane "SKYWAVE" SSB portable radio. It offers SW/SSB as well as AM/FM/NOAA Weather and Air Traffic Control radio frequencies. Also various Alarm, weather alert, memories, scanning features.

https://www.ccrane.com/item/rad_ccra...te%20desc#tabs

I have NO AFFILIATION with CCrane!!!!! I don't normally "endorse" any product, but don't think there is anything wrong with recommending a product that I have direct experience with and the buyer can perform their own research. I just think this little radio performs as well, if not better, than most of my larger and more expensive radios...and the price and features are amazing. It does a Good-to-Excellent job, is small enough to be truly portable and the price is low enough that if I lose it, damage it, etc I won't cry.....making it more likely that i will take it along, which I do all the time during my frequent travels.

Best of Luck!!
Ken
N1KAW
s/v Ocean Gypsy
lying Palma Sola Bay, Florida, USA
svoceangypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 09:13   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhands View Post
I've had an interest in radios since my teenage days. I even took ham classes but got hurt before I could finish. Anyway, what I am thinking about is to buy a SSB radio with some type of anntenea cheap, more or less, and just listen to various transmissions. I am currently living in our RV near Puget Sound.

I KNOW I shall never transmit, not even put a mic on it. Or maybe do the same thing with a full ham rig. I don't remember much about it from those old days, lol. SSB is more of a method vs frequency?

I have several reasons for this. I'd like to be able to receive information from operators (prepers?) around the world. Also I hope to use one or both onboard after proper training and certificates. I've not given up on cruising. Still looking for the new house and boat.

Do you folks see any reason not to just listen passively?

Got the boat. Passed the ham radio examination. Bought the radio. Designed the antenna.system. Can't now 3D print the parts due to clogging of the print head. My world is shattered by a 0.2 mm hole!!
groman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 09:38   #39

Boat: DeFever 49 RPH "Mermaid Lil" in U.S.; Zijlmans Eagle 43 "Mermaid Lil" in Europe

Dan,

Just a few thoughts and suggestions.

Yes, I encourage you to get a radio (receiver or transceiver). It will only help keep the interest alive and encourage you to continue.

I also strongly recommend Ham Test Online

HamTestOnline - Ham Radio Exam Courses and Practice Tests

I have been a ham since around 1973, and remained at the Tech Level for ages upon ages, always wanting to upgrade and always buying the books and manuals to study with (the FCC changes the answer pool every four years, so new books are needed each cycle if you don't take the test). It took me almost 20 years to 'discover' HamTestOnline and go through the computer based learning process. Passed my Extra Class with 97% as a result of this course.

As far as a radio, I would recommend looking into the Yaesu F-857D (I used to be an ICOM guy...). About the smallest ALL band (including 2 meter) radio in existence (although I hear they are about ready to discontinue it). As you have already stated, NO transmit until licensed -- but great incentive to GET LICENSED and this radio would do everything you could ever want in a package about the size of a normal hardcover book (or maybe even smaller).

Antenna wise, I have a recommendation there too! The Alpha Antenna company makes a number of antennas for field deployable and remote use. There is a portable antenna (https://alphaantenna.com/product/alpha-antenna-lt-fmj/) that is super small, assembles in literally a few minutes, and is basically the same as the one they market in a similar package for mobile use (but with a whip antenna instead of the bungee-cord telescopic version). This is the combination I use in the RV, and also use it as my 'base station' at home.

I have used this package to talk to most of the US, Europe, Caribbean and S.Am. on the radio's internal power (100watts - what is called "barefoot.") I wish I had this type of selection back then for my on-board SSB set-ups on my sailboats and powerboats when cruising. Small and effective antenna choices were severely limited in the 80's and 90's for use on RV's and boats (power and sail) -- but that didn't prevent many a 'marine mobile' contact from at sea and through 'phone patches' to relatives while cruising.

Since I'm now boatless in the US (have a GREAT Dutch steel canal cruiser [42-feet] for sale in the Netherlands right now!), I'm probably out-of-touch with the nets and products available to the cruiser on SSB, but when I was living aboard and cruising, I would pull all my weather faxes, voice weather forecasts, GIF images, cruising nets, phone patches and act as a relay station for others with my various radios and antenna setups.

I can pack up an entire radio station in an over-the-should bag or large attaché, so size shouldn't be a concern. And absolutely, NO, you don't need a tower or amplifier or anything much more than I described (and a license) to be on-the-air with the ability to talk anywhere

So yes Dave, you should jump in and just do it! A good ham set can cover both marine SSB and Ham frequencies, along with broadcast band frequencies so you can receive commercial broadcast stations to listen to. As they say -- just do it.

Pete
N3GI
MermaidLil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 13:11   #40

Quote:

^ This!
I just bought 2 of these.
Setup is straight forward and relatively easy, I'm NOT super techie.
Just be sure you're getting the REAL RTL-SDR, not an imposter.
Also get a 1:9 balun for it. About $12 ea. Building your own antenna should be real simple.Or you can buy one.
k2eds
ctrmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 13:14   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I have one. It functions. Not a very good radio.

The "V3" version is specifically made to listen to HF via direct sampling.
ctrmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 13:43   #42

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post

Trying to fix a cheap old radio can have lasting benefits. I "cut my teeth" in the electronics field by tinkering with old radios and TV sets. Those old tube sets could be tweaked since they had all manner of adjustable coils and capacitors. Learned respect for high voltage! Somehow I survived and this interest led me into ham radio and finally to becoming an electrical engineer.
Old 15-05-2020, 14:06   #43

Contact your local amateur radio club, they are every where and ask those folks who has a used radio that will receive SSB for sale.
Gypsyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 16:05   #44

Boat: SOLD our M/V HOPE Grand Banks 42 now we're Hopeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhands View Post
I've had an interest in radios since my teenage days. I even took ham classes but got hurt before I could finish. Anyway, what I am thinking about is to buy a SSB radio with some type of anntenea cheap, more or less, and just listen to various transmissions. I am currently living in our RV near Puget Sound.

I KNOW I shall never transmit, not even put a mic on it. Or maybe do the same thing with a full ham rig. I don't remember much about it from those old days, lol. SSB is more of a method vs frequency?

I have several reasons for this. I'd like to be able to receive information from operators (prepers?) around the world. Also I hope to use one or both onboard after proper training and certificates. I've not given up on cruising. Still looking for the new house and boat.

Do you folks see any reason not to just listen passively?

The process of obtaining a Ham Ticket -even General Class is no longer difficult.
No Code requirement--understand some common sense laws and a tinny bit about electronics, antenna and frequencies. More fun if you can chew the rag as well as listen
W1JPM
CaptJPMcGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 16:09   #45

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Get a short wave receiver. Make sure it will tune SSB, some don’t. Get a wind up antennae. Make sure there’s a plug in for it.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio, ssb