Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2020, 08:39   #16

Boat: Ranger Tug, R-27
Re: SSB Radio at home?

I couldn't agree more.
Bill, AE7UI
Trawler2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 09:09   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
I highly recommend getting your ticket.
The tests are not difficult and you will learn about frequencies, side bands, antenna tuning, and so much more in studying for the exams.
Morse Code is no longer required for any license.
Like they say, Just do it.
What KP44 said. I don't have my license but I have looked at the requirements and it does not seem difficult. The big hurdle used to be the morse code requirement which is gone. Knowing the theory is going to help you figure out the equipment you need to accomplish your goals. Hams are more than helpful so you will get plenty of advise and help here on CF and in other places.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 09:27   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Well if one insists on physical hardware to have..I do have one of these for sale..

IC-706MKIIG HF/VHF/UHF All Mode Transceiver - Features - Icom America

..no need for a license to receive only..
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 15:00   #19

We have an ICOM IC-R75 (receiver only) that covers ~ 50 KHZ to 56MHZ (continuously) in all modes. This unit is not going to be cheap but it will allow you to explore the VLW to HF spectrum and higher in all modes. Also put a nice all band receive antenna in the budget.
Happy listening. My only complaint is it has no built-in AC power supply and uses a wallwart for a power supply.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 14:40   #20

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I know nothing about this particular one, but just as an example
https://www.amazon.com/Tecsun-PL880-...8112128&sr=8-4
I know that radio. I can see mine from here. *grin* I use the PL-880 in my delivery go-kit for weather fax reception. Works fine. Good receiver, decent filters. Charges off 5V USB which is very convenient. Not as nice as 12V but much better than all the 8V and 9V radios out there.

For OP at home power doesn't matter as you just plug the wall wart into an outlet.

Definitely want an outdoor antenna.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 17:44   #21

Boat: Fast Passage 39

SSB is alot of fun and well worth the time to get your license.

The Icom 7300 is an excellent radio and one that will grow with you - SSB, Digital, Winlink - you name it. All you need is an Icom 7300 and a computer...and an antenna.

While I spend alot of time on SSB and digital + Winlink etc, I also play around with DMR. DMR popularity keeps cranking up and it is a great way to have one to many conversations around the world without a lot of hardware. Semi-different use case, but a lot of fun. And that is the name of the game -> fun.

Fair winds,
S/V Maregan
K7LBH
maregan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:24   #22

Thanks folks, very helpful suggestions. I am going to take the technician class, hopefully in person but online if I have to. (Elmer needed?)

I'm the meantime I've bought a Baofeng UV 82 MK5 just to play around with. (Disabled transmit, first thing) I can quickly see some limitations. It seems that a little knowledge doesn't get me far in this hobby. It sort of reminds me of learning a new language. Until I get 200 - 400 words, it seems like all nonsense. I'll get there. I do have a few questions for y'all if you have time.
New Base station radios cost many $$$. Used ones seem like either collectors items or for parts only. (AA3YJ, I'm going to send you a pm, in a minute) Are there inexpensive, <1k$ "Chevy" styled equipment. At this point I don't think I'd know it if it was in front of me.
Could I buy a marine radio, power it from a 12v ps/battery at home, listen passively while getting my license? I did this with my CP and learned alot in my living room. Then move it to the soon to be purchased boat. ( The wife told me she wants a house before we buy the boat. ????)
As more of my questions become Ham based vs marine, I think I'll look for a good beginning ham specific web forum. Suggestions on one?
Old 06-05-2020, 09:56   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I know nothing about this particular one, but just as an example
https://www.amazon.com/Tecsun-PL880-...8112128&sr=8-4

I know nothing about this one either, but I do have their PL660 model, and it is absolutely useless for SW - SSB reception, including WWV. Based on the Amazon reviews referencing QC ( among other things), I would stay well away from this brand.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:04   #24

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I suggest you open a thread here under Marine Electronics. Then you'll have a fleet of Elmers instead of one. I'll certainly be happy to help. Ham radio specific fora that occur to me are QRZ.com and eham.net.

Yes, you can buy a marine radio and power it from a 12VDC power supply or a car battery and a charger at home. I have a used Icom IC-M710 here I would sell. It comes with an AT-130 antenna tuner. It came out of a boat that upgraded and I would have to test it to make sure it is fully functional - I haven't gotten around to that. I usually don't deal in used equipment. I have this one because the previous owner didn't want to be bothered trying to sell it.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:29   #25

Boat: Fast Passage 39

Don't buy a used radio . Grab a new radio. Don't buy a radio that has been sitting on a boat. Don't buy an m802/3 - waste of money. Go over to QRZ and checkout Ham Radio Crash course on YouTube.

When you are comfortable diagnosing issues, and using a soldering iron and reading schematics, buy used. Also, beware of parts scavengers.

You have local clubs in your area - reach out and by the end of the day you will be all dialed in. You will also find a few local elmer that are super helpful.
maregan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:46   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
I highly recommend getting your ticket.
The tests are not difficult and you will learn about frequencies, side bands, antenna tuning, and so much more in studying for the exams.
Morse Code is no longer required for any license.
Like they say, Just do it.
I'll second that! The Technician Class license is easy. I hold an Extra Class license (the highest grade), but for 90% of what I do on the Ham bands, only a Technician Class license is required. And taking the test is easy: there are exams set up by volunteer Hams all over. It may be more of a challenge because of COVID precautions, but you should be able to find an exam site nearby. Look one up here: http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-...e-exam-session.

I used this study guide for the exam: https://www.amazon.com/2018-2022-Tec.../dp/0945053908. The author does a great job of explaining the content, so you come away with knowing not just "what" but also "why" and "how."

Once you get your license and get on the air, you'll find many people who share your interests who can give you ideas and encouragement.

Many of us have acquired some of our knowledge "scientifically" - we learned through failure. Hams can also save you money by warning you off approaches that are bound to not work out. I'd start with an inexpensive 2 meter handheld radio and get a list of local repeater stations. If you tell people you're just starting out, I think you'll be amazed at how accepting and helpful folks will be. All of the Hams started out just like you: with an interest in radio and a bit of a "hacker" mentality for experimenting and building their own tools. It's what the Ham bands are for -- along with often being the only form of communications still working in a disaster; the Ham motto being: "When All Else Fails." https://www.ijpr.org/media-society/2...all-else-fails

If you need help, there's always someone who will step up to be a mentor (we Hams call those mentors "Elmers" by the way).

During this social distancing, Ham radio is a great way to stay safe and pursue an interest.
Waveguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:41   #27

This discussion has had me thinking. This is dangerous.

I have held off taking the HAM class(es) and getting the license(s) because we are no where close to going cruising, we don't have the radio infrastructure, I don't have bunch of time, or the money to invest in the classes, licenses, and infrastructure. If I took the classes and got licenses but did not have a radio, I am afraid I would just loose what I had learned.... Use it or loose it.

So my question/idea, is there a "cheap" or affordable radio that we could use with minimal antennae infrastructure?

I have known HAMs with huge antennae towers at their house and I don't want to go down that path. We have the space for it, and it might come in handy for some other "projects" but we are on the top of a hill and we get lightning strikes all the time around us. The age of the trees gets to a certain point, and no older, because the lightning eventually kills them. I really don't want to put up a big lightning rod, aka, antenna tower, nor do I have the money to spend. Will a simple wire hung in the attic work?

At this point, I am not interested in transmitting but in receiving. If it was cheap enough, I could see trying to pick up weather reports from different areas both simple broadcasts but also weather chart broadcasts, but that later is going to cost.

Is this even possible? And of course, how much is cheap? Lets say, under $1,000.

I did look at some of the receivers listed in the discussion but I did not get warm, fuzzy, feelings that they would do what I had in mind.

Later,
Dan
Old 11-05-2020, 13:51   #28

Boat: no sail boat yet :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Will a simple wire hung in the attic work?
Yes, random wire is fine for receiving.

Outside, proper length, antennas will be much better.

You can get a $100-$200 SSB receiver off Amazon. You just need to make sure it CAN take an external antenna connection.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GJ51NVA..._xPBUEb5Z7ZR7G

I have only vertical antennas right now, set up so I can drop them if I want to. But I also have LP on my window entry and I only connect the antennas when operating.
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 14:15   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
You can get a $100-$200 SSB receiver off Amazon. You just need to make sure it CAN take an external antenna connection.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GJ51NVA/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_xPBUEb5Z7ZR7G...

Thanks, that was the radio I was investigating. For the price, it is interesting. I have and idea on where I would like to put the radio, but unfortunately, the route for the antennae might not be to the wifey's liking.... Going to have to ponder the antennae issue.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 11-05-2020, 15:16   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Seriously one should research this..

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/about-rtl-sdr/

..relatively inexpensive...minimal set-up
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags