Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2021, 13:32   #1

Boat: Sabre 30 MKIII 1986
Speedy Stitcher to fix a bimini - which needle and thread?

Hi,

Total newbie at sewing.

We purchased a speedy stitcher to stitch a couple of spots on our bimini zippers.

Can anyone advise how to go about this, which thread and needles should I purchase?

Thanks

Genki
genki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 13:56   #2

Boat: Sabre 30 MKIII 1986
Re: Speedy Stitcher to fix a bimini - which needle and thread?

Found this on the Sailrite site.

https://www.sailrite.com/Thread-V-92...-4oz-1-050-Yds

"Use this V-92 thread with a #18 or #20 needle on 6–10-ounce fabrics (including all Sunbrella® fabrics). We recommend a #20 needle when sewing with the Sailrite® Ultrafeed® Sewing Machine."

Thx
genki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 14:31   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Nope, that thread and needle are for machine sewing.

You have a hand stitching awl, which has a much larger needle (#8) and is used with waxed whipping twine (Speedy Stitch as their own line, or you can use waxed #4 whipping twine, though #8 is better with this needle).
Old 22-06-2021, 15:03   #4
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

I bought a variety pack of ordinary sewing machine needles for a few dollars and use those with my speedy stitcher. The needles it came with were WAY too big. I use the sail thread I have left over from a different project or waxed polyester whipping thread.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 15:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
I bought a variety pack of ordinary sewing machine needles for a few dollars and use those with my speedy stitcher. The needles it came with were WAY too big. I use the sail thread I have left over from a different project or waxed polyester whipping thread.

... I am going to try this. It would certainly broaden the range of use of our Speedy Stitcher.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 08:00   #6

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I have both a speedy sticher and a Sailrite LZ1. For small jobs that don't need the heavy twine or needle, I put a Sailrite #20 needle on and load the bobbin with V92 thread. Works great.
Old 24-06-2021, 09:00   #7

Boat: Chatam 50

If you want thread that lasts, use GORE Tenara. Our dodger, biminis and all sails are stitched with this premium thread. It will outlast all other threads by years-even in the Med and other high-UV areas of the world. It costs more but is well worth it and is no more difficult to stitch with than regular thread. I have no affiliation with this company by the way.
Leee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 14:29   #8

Boat: Freedom 32'

I bought canvas elbow patches to match my grey bimini. Ironed it on with the bimini still on. Put one patch on top and one on the bottom. That was six months ago, holding like a charm!
Old 24-06-2021, 16:10   #9

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

It is possible to use just one thread--and that thread size will determine the length and diameter of your needles--so I buy a set of them. Too big is a lot better than too small. Too small is useless.

Now--I do not use the single thread technique because it can all come undone if the thread wears through at any place in the seam.

Instead, I use a net-makers' thimble loaded with the same thread as I am using for the seam I intend to stitch, whether zig-zag locked or straight locked seam.

You can not lock the seam if you use only one thread.

Push needle through the fabric, and as far as you can. Draw it back a little to form a loop, and pass the thimble through this loop. You may have to pull a little extra thread to do so.

Withdraw the Stitcher, and you now have a thread each side of the fabrics or sail cloth. Repeat for next thread--but every fifth thread, tie a reef knot (or if the material is thick, a Surgeon's suture knot) and push it down so that it is INSIDE and between the material's forming the edge or seam. If the thread for any reason parts, it can only unravel to the first knot. The sail will not come gaping apart as the entire seam unzips.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 18:50   #10

I purchased smaller needles #4, brand specific. Sounds like doesn’t need to be…? Sewing newbie I be.
Sohum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 16:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
You can not lock the seam if you use only one thread.

Push needle through the fabric, and as far as you can. Draw it back a little to form a loop, and pass the thimble through this loop. You may have to pull a little extra thread to do so.

Withdraw the Stitcher, and you now have a thread each side of the fabrics or sail cloth. Repeat for next thread--but every fifth thread, tie a reef knot (or if the material is thick, a Surgeon's suture knot) and push it down so that it is INSIDE and between the material's forming the edge or seam. If the thread for any reason parts, it can only unravel to the first knot. The sail will not come gaping apart as the entire seam unzips.

When you're using a Speedy Stitcher with its one thread, it's the same idea - except that you first pull the free end and enough extra thread through with the first stab, and then you stick that free end through the new loop with every stitch. And you could tie those reefknots too, if you wanted.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini