Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2011, 09:15   #46

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Spear Guns, Cross Bows, and Composite Bows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
legalities aside, within the diving community at large spearfishing on scuba is not considered to be sporting. We all did it thirty years ago, but these days we know better.
Like so many here, I'm an old timey scuba instructor as well, starting in CA in the late 50s while in high school. The ocean truly was an all-you-can-eat seafood buffet back then.

I'm still employed at a big dive shop here on the banks while refitting. We run 3 boats. While 99% of our divers are here to observe, there is a small contingent of spearfishermen on scuba. I have yet to hear any grumbling about sportsmanship. We have a growing cadre of free divers here but the group has a macho aspect to it, and they may well feel as Bash notes tho I haven't heard it myself.

However, having slept on it, I am changing my view. As Pblais notes above, we as a species have mastered fishing. As a kid at the movies, there was always a news segment, and it always seemed to have a clip of tuna fishermen pole fishing fish after fish. This was back when men were men and didn't wax their backs. Now, of course, tuna boats are netters guided by spotter airplanes. So while I still think the real problems are based on the big commercial enterprises, I agree that scuba makes it too easy.

I have seen some egregious examples of real "slayers" right on our docks.

We have a spearfishing tourney scheduled for May 7th I believe.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 10:12   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Spear Guns, Cross Bows, and Composite Bows?

Because this thread has run so far off topic, I figured I would repost #1 and emphasize the OP's question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Toronto View Post
Reading the forums about the problems people have had with everything from actual firearms to flare guns, I was wondering what the general consensus is about having these types of 'weapons' aboard during an extended cruise?
If a member wants to continue an ethical debate of fishing, feel free to start another thread....
Old 29-03-2011, 10:34   #48

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer

Predator | Barnett Crossbows

this is a nice cross bow! i would like to have one 'when' i sail. :-)
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 11:55   #49
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Are you serious? Sink to the bottom and they certify you?
They cash the cheque before that bit

Quote:
Scuba Certification F.A.Q

Waterskills: Before completing the PADI Open Water Diver course, your instructor will have you demonstrate basic waterskill comfort by having you:
  • swim 200 metres/yards (or 300 metres/yards in mask, fins and snorkel). There is no time limit for this, and you may use any swimming strokes you want. (200 Metres? My range (unassisted) is 5 metres. 10 if I was chased by a shark .....in practice it was once accross the swimming pool. hang onto the side to catch my breath. and then out have a ciggy and watch the others....which fitted neatly into the next "test".......
  • float and tread water for 10 minutes, again using any methods that you want. "any methods" was as above. sitting on the poolside having a ciggy. I didn't even try.
But to be fair (if I have to ) - the instructor may have realised that despite my non-swimming / non-floating status, I am very comfortable in the water, including the ocean. I just make damned sure I am always within 5 meters of something that floats or have a wetsuit and BCD with a tank full of air attached. Press button and DOJ goes up. press button and DOJ descends - seemples

The requirement for being an "Advanced" Diver is having been certified as an Open Water diver. By PADI. and writing another cheque. The only reason I went "advanced" was because wrapped in with a 2 /3 day boat trip. and I was on vacation. PADI has it's business model well sorted and I have no real complaints - I have Dived all over the world (which actually sounds more that it is ).

Quote:
About Physical Challenges
Any individual who can meet the performance requirements of the course text (AKA writes a cheque) qualifies for certification.
I am sure that other parts of the PADI courses are more onerous........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 15:44   #50

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
Like so many here, I'm an old timey scuba instructor as well, starting in CA in the late 50s while in high school. The ocean truly was an all-you-can-eat seafood buffet back then.

I'm still employed at a big dive shop here on the banks while refitting. We run 3 boats. While 99% of our divers are here to observe, there is a small contingent of spearfishermen on scuba. I have yet to hear any grumbling about sportsmanship. We have a growing cadre of free divers here but the group has a macho aspect to it, and they may well feel as Bash notes tho I haven't heard it myself.

However, having slept on it, I am changing my view. As Pblais notes above, we as a species have mastered fishing. As a kid at the movies, there was always a news segment, and it always seemed to have a clip of tuna fishermen pole fishing fish after fish. This was back when men were men and didn't wax their backs. Now, of course, tuna boats are netters guided by spotter airplanes. So while I still think the real problems are based on the big commercial enterprises, I agree that scuba makes it too easy.

tgzzzz
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Guns