Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2016, 19:47   #1

South Coast 22

I've just purchased my first boat, and it's a project boat, a South Coast 22. It has a fine hull, but no mast or boom. I plan on building, but I don't know whether I'm better off with aluminum or spruce. I'm very good with tools, woodworking, all kinds of fabrication, my question is: what's going to be better for this boat--aluminum or wood? Or should I search for old parts?
J Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 21:05   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: South Coast 22

I am happy you bought a boat, I really am. But in very good shape, with a full set of sails a South Coast 22 is worth maybe $1,500. It will cost far more than that to get this one back on the water, even assuming you do the rehab yourself.

At this point I have to seriously consider selling what you can for scrap value and buying a boat that is ready to sail. It is simply almost never worth trying to rehab an older boat without a mast.

That being said you could try and track down an appropriate sized aluminium mast and boom somewhere. But still leaves a lot of work still to do.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 08:09   #3

I can't argue with your advice, however the money is not a consideration here, nor is resale value. Giving this fun little boat a new life is my project, so time and dollars are of secondary importance. That being said, ALL input is appreciated, and the value of a fully functioning SC22 is good information to have. Thanks.
Old 18-05-2016, 11:31   #4
Marine Service Provider

J Beach,

If it's a labor of love...

First you need to track down a new aluminium mast. There are still a few of the SC-22's around so you can probably find someone to share the mast section numbers from. If you buy a new one I would guess (and it's a wind guess) that the extrusion will run about $2,000 plus delivery. Next up you need to have someone make a set of shrouds I would call rig rite and have them quote it (they may also sell you the mast) at the same time figure another $200.

Finally you will need sails. A set of new sails for the boat will probably be about $3,000 for the working sails. Plus another $1,500 or so for a spinnaker if you choose to add one.

All up I think you are looking around $7-$8,000 worth of parts assuming you do all the work yourself and buy new. Used you can probably cut this in half, maybe by 2/3's. Just to get the boat sailing again.

You will also need to add a small outboard at around $800.

If I had to guess, by the time you put it all together you will have something around $10,000 in the boat to get it on the water the first time. Even as a labor of love this ends up seriously upside down on the boat.

The other option if the hull itself has sentimental value is to find a SC-22 for sale somewhere that is in decent shape and buy it for parts. This would likely be far cheaper than sourcing the parts individually.

Old 18-05-2016, 13:36   #5

Looking up the prices for sails, spars, and standing rigging for an O'Day 22 from DRmarine.com shows mast complete with rigging = $2000; boom with hardware = $430; two sails = $2000. That's $4500 right there. Add at least 25% for other necessities. Then add running rigging. Holy crap, that stuff is expensive. Does the South Coast have a rudder?

Consider: I paid $1000 for a fun and complete boat. That includes trailer and an almost new 4-stroke outboard motor and many accessories.

If you take Stumble's low estimate of 1/3 of $7k (= $2300) for used gear, and give it to me, I'll give you my entire kit for you to part out for your South Coast. I'll use the $2300 to buy another boat and put the extra $1300 in my future big boat kitty.

But I'm answering I'm answering a question you didn't ask. So we need clarification: How do you define 'better for this boat'? Given what you've told us so far, the choice between aluminum and wooden spars is a matter of your own personal preference. I'd choose aluminum for its long life and minimal maintenance requirements. I'm guessing aluminum is lighter, too. If I'm right, it would be better for a light boat like the SC22.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 15:34   #6
Marine Service Provider

Aluminium is going to be lighter, and more predictable. The other issue is that spar quality Sika spruce timber is going to be very expensive. I haveneverbuilt a mast, but I wouldn't be shocked if the timbers to do so are upwards of 50% the cost of a new aluminium mast. Good lumber is not cheap.

Old 18-05-2016, 21:23   #7

The sails are in good shape, not original. Yes, it has a rudder. I'm sorry I gave the impression was ONLY an empty hull. I honestly feel like a thief, I paid so little for this boat.

The fact remains it needs a new mast,band it looks like it's going to be aluminum, because NOBODY I've talked to has Sitka spruce available.

Thank you all for your advice.
Old 18-05-2016, 22:21   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Beach View Post
The sails are in good shape, not original. Yes, it has a rudder. I'm sorry I gave the impression was ONLY an empty hull. I honestly feel like a thief, I paid so little for this boat.

The fact remains it needs a new mast,band it looks like it's going to be aluminum, because NOBODY I've talked to has Sitka spruce available.

Thank you all for your advice.
In that case it's still probably cheaper to buy a donor boat, just less so.

But just for the fun of it I was able to track down the original mast section. You can find it here Kenyon D Mast Section the first one in the list is for the SC-22. RigRite may also have the original specs as to spreader placement, and the boom extrusion. If nothing else I would give them a call and see what information they have on the boat.

Old 19-05-2016, 06:55   #9

I found this last night as well. Excellent info. Thank you.