Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2015, 18:19   #61

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Soon to be a sailboat owner (I hope)

Here's a couple of boats for sale on Ebay that are a step up from a Catalina or a Macgregor. I'd also recommend a Nimble or a West Wight Potter.

1981 Compac 23' Sailboat Florida | eBay

Herreshoff Eagle 22' Sailboat Catboat 1974 Fiberglass Day Sailer Beautiful | eBay
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 18:21   #62
Marine Service Provider

Help! Moderators...puhleeze!!!! Make it stop.....ay yay yay yay yay yay....carpetbaggers? War of secession? General lee was an idiot? etc etc etc It concerns me that this stuff goes on here and the moderators see to be...somewhere else?? It's our own little uncivil war... Please!
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 18:31   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
Help! Moderators...puhleeze!!!! Make it stop.....ay yay yay yay yay yay....carpetbaggers? War of secession? General lee was an idiot? etc etc etc It concerns me that this stuff goes on here and the moderators see to be...somewhere else?? It's our own little uncivil war... Please!
Common Paul, its funny for an outsider. I can't wait for somebody to question Stonewall Jacksons courage. When I see that, microwave, popcorn, three minute timer, read CF.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:15   #64

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
So if he doesn't buy the boat you like that makes him immature and not a real sailor?
Steve came on this site asking him for help and your response is to ridicule him and argue with anyone you can. I gotta say you are a poor example for anyone getting in to sailing.
Steve, if your buddy is teaching you on his macgregor and you enjoy it, get him to come look at the one for sale with you. Or take advantage of your chance to continue to learn on his boat. Just make sure to keep his fridge full of beer.
Ah, I think you must not have read my earlier post but just happened upon one of the ones I posted during my argument with that dude from South Carolina.

He got upset because I kinda mentioned the new guy may not understand what a blown out sail was.

Then I added something about his declared state just because. I actually like SC and have read all Pat Conroy's books. The island I visited was Parris Island. Marines don't like Parris Island due to the fact that there are mainly ignorant rednecks there that teach you the trade.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:23   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
The dude said he came down to SC from Staten Island I believe so I played the civil war/carpetbagger card. I thought it worked out well. He was saying I may not know where it was. (His island) He was still stuck on the sail thing and couldn't break away.

All good brain exercise I'm thinking.

The bottom line is trailerable boats can be a pain. You spend so much time setting up and taking down you find yourself not going sailing as much.

I usually found a place to keep my toy boats ( four beachcats) set up near where I planned to sail them.

It's so nice to be able to simply attach and raise the sails, load up with you favorite beverages and snacks and go.

Our normal trip when not racing was to cross Pensacola Bay and sail over to Pensacola Beach or Ft Pickens etc. It was a quick trip on a cat once the seabreeze kicked in. We had an apartment on the water and two catamarans set up (and tied down) just above the high water line
Old 11-08-2015, 18:34   #66

Just an attempt to bring this back on track.... Trailer sailing makes a lot of sense if:
- The setup is streamlined, and manageable (about 45 minutes up, 30 down, all in, in my case)
- you enjoy sailing in different places, that may be hours away, going 70mph on the freeway
- You have space to park the boat/trailer somewhere for free. No mooring fees all season, my last launch fee was $6
- You take the time to go overnight, ideally several nights. Not remotely as painful to rig and take down if there's a night or two between them.
- It's what you got at the moment :-)

If you want to sail weeknights, and need to rig and take down every time.. That will be a pain for sure..
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:14   #67

Boat: Cataliba 22 foot

This has been an entertaining thread.

Yes I agree I would rather have a boat that is moored all the time, but I cannot swing an extra 230 a month. Right now I need (want) sometimes to take the family out on a Sat or Sunday sail. Nothing fancy just fun and relaxing. We may want to anchor somewhere in the Sound for a night.
It needs to be about 3k or less. We are just getting back on our feet after I was medically retired from the Air Force. Took a few years and a degree in computers. It is all good now I need a toy again. Jeeping is out of the question.
So someday I will (grow up) and get a real boat but till then I will trailer it. I am going to look at a North West 21 Wednesday evening. It looks nice from the pics and is in the water. Wish me luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00v0v_h8vDfqiRomI_600x450.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	107178  
"If you don't read the news paper you are ill-informed, if you do read the news paper you are misinformed". "If you practice anything long enough you will get good at it to include BS". Denzel Washington
snccoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:18   #68

One thing good about having your toy boat on a trailer is that you can "play" with it every night when you come home from work!

I used to go out to my boats and I could always find something to change. Or find an improvement for racing to make etc.

I installed cam cleats on both hulls of the Nacra F-17 to hold the spinnaker sheet. Replaced the spinnaker halyard spinlock several times, replaced trailer wheel bearings, traveler cars, shrouds, daggerboard well tape, tramp, etc. And I had a place to set my beer.....on one boat or the other.

Also, when Category 3/4 Hurricane Ivan came through in 2004 and destroyed about 80 plus docked sailboats my two catamarans had almost zero damage just a broken mast holder mount.

I also had a setup on the Hobie 16's and the Nacra F-17 where I could raise the mast alone. Not on the Nacra 6.0 though. That mast was a beast
Old 12-08-2015, 04:28   #69

Another option is something like a laser. (or Hobie 16) You can have the wife set up on the beach relaxing and you can sail with one of your kids. (or both depending on age) then switch out.

My son skippered the older Hobie 16 at around 12-13 years old with just his friends. Even though I was yelling instructions like a maniac from the beach, he simply ignored me and sailed as far away from me as he could get.

He and his friends could also right the boat on their own. I'd end up chasing them all over the lake.............

Also slow monohull lake sailing gets old real fast or kids.

Laser race rigged

Hobie 16:

Old 12-08-2015, 16:22   #70

Looks like the young man is responsible for the jib sheet and the main traveler while Dad(?) has the main sheet.

Nice way to get younger folks involved in sailing. If it was a new beach cat, he would also have to handle the downhaul and the mast rotator. (but) mainly during racing.

Btw, back in the day they raced these toy boats in the Atlantic Ocean from Southern Florida to Virginia Beach which later became known as the Worrell 1000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worrell_1000

Old 14-08-2015, 06:56   #71

Well I offered the guy what I thought was a fair price for 40 year old boat and a 20 year old motor he told me no so oh well. More fish out there.
"If you don't read the news paper you are ill-informed, if you do read the news paper you are misinformed". "If you practice anything long enough you will get good at it to include BS". Denzel Washington
Old 14-08-2015, 07:19   #72

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by snccoulter View Post
Well I offered the guy what I thought was a fair price for 40 year old boat and a 20 year old motor he told me no so oh well. More fish out there.
Don't get in a hurry. Looking at boats & for a boat is one of the funnest parts of the journey. There are a lot of neat boats out there & the more you look at the better.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 12:31   #73

I guess I should change the topic to new sailboat owner. I found a 22 foot Catalina in lake whatcom on craigslist Saturday night and drove out Sunday for an inspection. It was priced right from the start with a trailer and looked nice. The owner was concerned that I showed up early and it would not show well. He did not have all the stuff it came with in it. We got on board and it is super clean. You can tell it is a 40 year old boat but it has been loved. The rigging is about tight and the sales are crisp. Its trailer is good not great but good. And I get to keep it moored until mid October. Before I had made an offer he told me I like your family and will sell everything to include the 2015 3.5 horse mercury outboard for 2400 he was asking 2750. So that is 3 jibs 2 main, motor trailer all but new life jackets (chrisp no fading) 4 throws, newly recovered cushions all his tools he kept on the boat, and the mooring for 2400. Then my daughter asked about the dishes so he gave then to her all fishy stuff. So now off to have fun for the weekends.
Old 17-08-2015, 12:39   #74

Sweet deal! Enjoy.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 12:43   #75

Here are the photos. It will be renamed the CoCa-J
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0274.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	107473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0273.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	107474  

Name:	IMAG0272.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	107475   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0271.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	107476  

Name:	00v0v_2juGlkU7A8Y_600x450.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	107477   Click image for larger version

Name:	00A0A_37UUCfi2Avy_600x450.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	107478  

Tags
sail, sailboat