Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2015, 16:28   #46

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Soon to be a sailboat owner (I hope)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snccoulter View Post
Well I got a nasty attitude when I asked to see it sail so I have passed on the boat.

I am not going to rush into a purchase. I do not know what a blown out sail looks like (does anyone have a pic)?

I have only been sailing for about 20 hours. On the plus side the guy that has been taking me out is making me do everything. Telling me how, letting me try then showing me. We had a good day sailing yesterday with some of my family picking on me as I figuring out. Then the winds got to be a bit high and I got a little bit nervous out on the bay but he would not take control and told me I had to learn if I wanted to sail. I agree

I found a 26 foot MacGregor that looks like it is in in good condition trailer and motor. If it is still up on Craigslist Friday I may drive the 2 hours to look at it. It is the same boat as the one I am learning on.

Thanks for all the advice.
Steve
You don't need to test sail a Catalina 22 before you buy it. They pretty much all sail the same. It's a decent average quality beginners boat. Considering your vehicle it's probably about as big a boat as you can pull weight wise. The Macgregor might be a little bigger but probably not heavier as it's a cheaper built boat. The Macgregor might actually be easier to trailer because I think the board pivots all the way into the cabin where the Catalina has a keel below the hull. If you don't get in a hurry you might be able to find a better quality boat with some character.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 16:31   #47

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I'm sorry that you are still upset because I said the guy may not know what a blown out sail was because he is a beginner. (see posts above)

This is how sad this argument is.

I'm no great cruiser but I can do things with sailboats most cruisers cannot from racing against some of the best small catamaran racers in the US for as many as 10 months out of the year every weekend for 10 years.

You go from being a hotshot sailor and winning all the time on Mississippi Lakes to a know nothing on the Gulf Coast.

You have to have an ego to handle that and rebuild as well as being a single parent and new boss man building a contact that went large.

Speaking of racing on the gulf Coast I hate Panama city and the race course in the video below. I'm not from there and in Catamaran racing you have to know all the channels where the tides run or you will lose if you are in a close race because the current is strongest in the deeper waters.

Yep, that's how complicated it gets and that's just off the boat stuff. Scroll down to see the 2015 a Class Catamaran Championship highlights.

United States A-Class Catamaran Association

United States A-Class Catamaran Association

The carpetbagger thing was a fun way to start an argument on those times but unfortunately for me you were not up for it.

That was yesterday though and it's gone. My mind is in a new place today.
Take my comment for what it may or may not be worth. Just give it a little thought. Why the bio? I'm over the hill so have no dog in the fight. I wish you the best.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 16:38   #48

All this over an imoji. I'm starting to think my dream of world peace is a long shot.
Old 10-08-2015, 16:47   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
All this over an imoji. I'm starting to think my dream of world peace is a long shot.
Cheer up! It's only a pissing contest. World peace in a pigs ear.
Old 10-08-2015, 16:55   #50

Quote:
As I remember it, you insulted me.

I don't like carpetbaggers anyway, so I'll stand behind my insults!

Or maybe, it was me in my past life that didn't like carpetbaggers.

When I was 7 or 8 years old, I was walking down the hill where Pickett's Charge began at Gettysburg and I had a deja vu moment. I didn't even know what it meant at the time.

I was also thinking how strange it was that all the rednecks were displaying their Confederate Flags up here recently due to the South Carolina ruling on the "our" Battle Flag but no one mentioned Armistead Avenue in Hampton.

Maybe they were just sad they didn't have a war to die in fighting for the rich man. I'm not sure.

I don't think I made it as far as General Armistead did that day though. It's weird that I was born again in Virginia.

When I got back up here, I saw a General Lee License Plate! I could understand a General Longstreet License Plate or Hood maybe, but Lee? WTF? Head on Charge? Direct assault against rifled muskets. Idiot!

I'm just saying.............
I'm curious. I've only been to your country 4 or 5 dozen times and only visited the Southeast maybe 5 or 6 times.

So I'm relatively ignorant about the United States. What is a carpet bagger?

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 16:58   #51

Boat: Bristol 27

It just shows we all still like a bit of a contest every once in a while.

There is a guy at my dock that tries to get me to race but I tell him I've beaten my head against that wall for enough years. I just like to sail these days

The next boat I look at will probably be this one. I think it will do what I want but I do worry about the under 40% ballast. It's not a MacGregor but is still a decent boat I think:

1983 Morgan 323 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 17:03   #52

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I'm curious. I've only been to your country 4 or 5 dozen times and only visited the Southeast maybe 5 or 6 times.

It's a post Civil War term. I was just messing with Cadence because he happened to be from South Carolina where the Civil War started. (and he didn't like my blown out sails comment) Also here recently there was a terrible shooting that prompted the removal of the Confederate Battle Flag from their state flag.

Carpet Baggers were folks from the North that came to the South after the Civil War and bought everything up since Confederate money was worthless and other reasons.

http://www.history.com/topics/americ...-and-scalawags
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 17:22   #53

Quote:

To answer your question, a carpet bagger was a northerner that went to the south and basically took advantage during "reconstruction" what ever the hell that means. Circa post Civil War which is a misnomer, it was a war of succession about states rights. I know that will start a furor with those that think it was about slavery. Being a carpet bagger I'm going to put my helmet on after that.
Old 10-08-2015, 17:31   #54

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Sure a Macgregor is an awesome boat for learning to sail, but one day you may want to grow up and be a real sailor which is what I'm attempting so a good boat is essential.

Why not buy a similar boat at the same price that can do it all.

In the first video, the wind continued to build until it was around 25 knots. I was on the same tack and the wind was the same direction NE which means Atlantic Ocean waves mixing with Chesapeake Bay Waves. Looks like 12-14 in the video. My starboard registration decal got washed off it got so rough. I hit smooth water as soon as I got behind the Eastern Shore's Peninsula though 17 miles further North.

Two days later was the downwind run after the front passed.

Winds built and stayed between 24-30 mph for 4 hours. In the video, I'd saw they were 22 knots or so. Not good Macgregor weather....

So if he doesn't buy the boat you like that makes him immature and not a real sailor?
Steve came on this site asking him for help and your response is to ridicule him and argue with anyone you can. I gotta say you are a poor example for anyone getting in to sailing.
Steve, if your buddy is teaching you on his macgregor and you enjoy it, get him to come look at the one for sale with you. Or take advantage of your chance to continue to learn on his boat. Just make sure to keep his fridge full of beer.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 17:45   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
So if he doesn't buy the boat you like that makes him immature and not a real sailor?
Steve came on this site asking him for help and your response is to ridicule him and argue with anyone you can. I gotta say you are a poor example for anyone getting in to sailing.
Steve, if your buddy is teaching you on his macgregor and you enjoy it, get him to come look at the one for sale with you. Or take advantage of your chance to continue to learn on his boat. Just make sure to keep his fridge full of beer.
Old 10-08-2015, 17:47   #56

I am familiar with the succession war, I've read a great deal about it. I just wasn't familiar with the term carpet bagger. Sounds a lot like Walmart.

FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 17:54   #57

Quote:
I am familiar with the succession war, I've read a great deal about it. I just wasn't familiar with the term carpet bagger. Sounds a lot like Walmart.

Actually more like Donald Trump.
Old 10-08-2015, 17:56   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
To answer your question, a carpet bagger was a northerner that went to the south and basically took advantage during "reconstruction" what ever the hell that means. Circa post Civil War which is a misnomer, it was a war of succession about states rights. I know that will start a furor with those that think it was about slavery. Being a carpet bagger I'm going to put my helmet on after that.
Horse ****. The right you're talking about was the right to own humans like cattle.
Old 10-08-2015, 17:58   #59

Quote:
Actually more like Donald Trump.
In MHO your both right.
Old 10-08-2015, 18:03   #60

Quote:
Horse ****. The right you're talking about was the right to own humans like cattle.
Maybe right but the elite northerners also owned slaves. Not a fit topic here.

Tags
sail, sailboat