Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2015, 10:18   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Soon to be a sailboat owner (I hope)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snccoulter View Post
I am about to purchases a new to me 1976 Catalina 22 footer. Well If it all works out I will be.

I do have a few questions I need answers to before I plunk offer 2200 for it.

If you could please help me out I would be grateful since I am 100% new to this hobby.

1. Is 2200 a fair price for an old boat that seems to be in good condition. It includes a newish 6 horse motor and

Both sails look nice and the lines seem to be in good condition and has new wiring

The interior is old but OK. It does need new cushions ( I am OK at sewing)

My big concern is towing.

I have a 2012 Chrysler Town and Country am I insane for thinking I can trailer it back and forth to the marina.
I believe I would ask the present owner to demo her. If engine runs well and sails aren't blown out. Go for it. Best of luck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:59   #17

Boat: Island Packet 35

We have a lot of them at the club and anything rated at 2500 will tow it short distances, any thing over that is perfect. I towed one from Oklahoma to Houston with a Oldsmobile Van many years ago with no issues.

The price is good. Look at NADA, which is low ball and they are still at around $2900 bare.

Keep in mind that one that is sailed off a trailer with the hull and rig in good condition that is inland is worth a whole lot more than one that has been sailed out of coastal waters.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 14:42   #18

Boat: Scout 30

If the boat's in good shape that's a good deal. Don't worry about towing, you'll be fine as long as the trailer's in good shape. It will probably need some work but that's not a big deal. If you're really worried about getting it up the ramp haul at high tide. The boat's gonna need some work & that's just part of the fun. I'd change the impeller, lower unit oil & plugs. Use only non-ethanol fuel in it & add stabil. Also, keep the tank full when you store it & run the carb dry when you flush the motor. You'll have a blast with this boat!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 15:10   #19

Town and Countries are front wheel drive? It can be tricky towing something that heavy up a ramp with fwd, the angle of the ramp can cause a disprportianate amount of weight to shift onto the rear axle, causing a loss of traction on the front wheels. I prefer trailering with 4x4 or at least rear wheel drive.

You might be okay, it will depend on the ramp.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 15:27   #20

Can you get a class three hitch for a Town and Country?
Old 04-08-2015, 15:34   #21

I would say that is a pretty good deal if the motor and sails/rigging is good. Also, you'll have a blast! I haul our 23 ft every time we go, and yes, it can be a drag. BUT I also don't have to go to the same places every time, which is really nice. Nothing like going 70 mph towards a choice cruising ground. There's no way I would have been able to sail around Acadia without hauling the boat up there.. As far as towing, my gut says you'll be fine, but I would get the weight of the boat and trailer (guessing about 2800-3000# loaded), and ask on one of the Town&County forums. It also might be possible to get a towing upgrade for it.
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 17:13   #22

Boat: Cataliba 22 foot

Thanks for the advice. I am going to talk to seller about taking it for a trip around the Bellingham Bay hopefully this weekend. Hopefully he will be willing to let me take it out with a experienced individual. The owner cannot get into it any more (working on an hip replacement. It was painful just to watch him go down stairs) I guess if he wants to sell it he will. I will also have a third party give it a once over. I will post up the decision.
snccoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 20:30   #23

I bought a 25 ft macgregor. I toed it to Washington and sailed it up through the San Juans. That was so much fun that my friend and I trailered it down to Belize and sailed it for 6 weeks. we had a ball. I towed it with a 73 datsun pickup with a stock 2400 CC motor with a four wheel drive. Never a minute of trouble. It was the only boat I ever made money from when I sold it. I paid a thousand for it and with about another thousand upgrades for a honda engine. I sold it in Belize for 5000. I really did need the four wheel drive, as the boat ramps in Belize were just anywhere that you could float your boat off the trailer. Lots of fun for sure. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:11   #24

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

sncoulter, Do u already have a hitch on the back of your van? If you do then make sure it is rated for capacity. As others have stated pulling a boat is one thing. Getting a boat out of the water on a ramp is another thing. I had a ford f250 with a twin engine cruiser at one time. I couldn't get that boat out of the water on a steep ramp in Long Beach, Ca and had to have another truck hook up to my front and assist. I spent thousands of dollars modifying my motor and carb to illegal standards. Embarrassing to say the least. I think your plan of asking the seller to allow you to "try it out" is reasonable. Give him some sort of collateral to ease his mind. See how the boat pulls and how she is retrievable on the boat ramp. Explain to the owner your concerns about your vehicle and just be real straight and upfront. He will catch your apprehension. Find someone from a local sailing club or a friend who has experience with launching boats to assist you. I think it is a reasonable request on your part. Secondly, in Alameda we have a place to store boats that has a launching hoist for boats that are on trailers with their masts up. You pay about 150 a month for the storage of the trailer and boat in the yard. Then when you want to go for a sail you just launch the boat off the trailer, boat already mast up, and swing her up and over into the briny water. Don't know what your local situation is like. But I would think that there are plenty of places that allow small trailerables to keep rigging up and just use a ramp at the marina's yard. Rigging and unrigging a boat every time u want to use it will get old and tiresome very quickly and will kill your motivation off quickly.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:47   #25

Not to be a nay sayer. I believe your biggest problem will be having enough auto to launch and retrieve. Other than that have at it.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:07   #26

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I believe I would ask the present owner to demo her. If engine runs well and sails aren't blown out. Go for it. Best of luck.
He may not be all that up on whether the sails are blown out. I think he said the sails looked nice! (which is important for the guy to be happy and confident)

Maybe that equates to not blown out, I'm not sure.

He is a total beginner so the price is good.

The boat may fall apart, the sails may be blown out, a trailer rim may disintegrate on the way to the ramp, the motor may run until you need it to get back to the dock then break/not start, and you can chalk it all up to learning boating/sailing.

I had a trailer rim disintegrate on the way to the boat ramp when I was 17. (boat, motor, and trailer $300.00) I had just bought it 20 minutes earlier.

Also experienced:

Numerous engine failures

a set of blown out sails

rusty gas tanks which pollute the fuel (why is the engine not starting. I'm 8 miles out into the Chesapeake Bay! WTF?)

dirty carburetors

broken/leaky fuel lines from the tank

Lost props at sea (power boat, age 17)

And so on.

The good news is I bought my present sailboat for $2,000 and I could probably safely sail it to the Bahamas or Cruise the Caribbean with it. Possibly more.

It just takes some experience.

Enjoy!
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 13:21   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
He may not be all that up on whether the sails are blown out. I think he said the sails looked nice! (which is important for the guy to be happy and confident)

Maybe that equates to not blown out, I'm not sure.

He is a total beginner so the price is good.

The boat may fall apart, the sails may be blown out, a trailer rim may disintegrate on the way to the ramp, the motor may run until you need it to get back to the dock then break/not start, and you can chalk it all up to learning boating/sailing.

I had a trailer rim disintegrate on the way to the boat ramp when I was 17. (boat, motor, and trailer $300.00) I had just bought it 20 minutes earlier.

Also experienced:

Numerous engine failures

a set of blown out sails

rusty gas tanks which pollute the fuel (why is the engine not starting. I'm 8 miles out into the Chesapeake Bay! WTF?)

dirty carburetors

broken/leaky fuel lines from the tank

Lost props at sea (power boat, age 17)

And so on.

The good news is I bought my present sailboat for $2,000 and I could probably safely sail it to the Bahamas or Cruise the Caribbean with it. Possibly more.

It just takes some experience.

Enjoy!
Old 05-08-2015, 15:30   #28

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post

Looks like you are sad because I explained that the OP may not know what a blown out sail is as you suggested he look for?

Relax, it will be fine.

You see, he is not an experienced sailor or boater it appears so you have to go a bit slow.

Maybe I need to slowly explain that to you also if you could not understand my post.

Well, where do I start?

Sometimes in life it takes a while to learn a new thing. You shouldn't let yourself get discouraged if things don't work out right as a beginner. You should just keep at it if it is something you enjoy

Should I continue or are you starting to get it?

I also went on to explain that if you know what you are looking for and have made mistakes and learned from them you may after gaining some experience be able to make a decent purchase later as I did in buying a boat for $2,000.00 that can most likely take me wherever I would like to go on the water.

It's not the $40-$50,000 that most think it takes. (plus the additions)

I must admit though I'm looking at a boat with fin keel and spade rudder (OMG!) asking price of $38,900. I'll offer $25,000 though and this boat will rock and roll for a 35' cruiser with a PHRF of 123. (it's a 1984 Ericson 35 MK III)

PHRF is your handicap when racing. The lower it is the faster your boat should be. My Bristol 27's PHRF is maybe 250 but that is most likely because it was raced by cruisers.

The Catalina 22 is around 270 but if the winds and seas or up, forgetaboutit! He may as well go home while the old Bristol will continue hanging tough.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 15:59   #29

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Looks like you are sad because I explained that the OP may not know what a blown out sail is as you suggested he look for?

Relax, it will be fine.

You see, he is not an experienced sailor or boater it appears so you have to go a bit slow.

Maybe I need to slowly explain that to you also if you could not understand my post.

Well, where do I start?

Sometimes in life it takes a while to learn a new thing. You shouldn't let yourself get discouraged if things don't work out right as a beginner. You should just keep at it if it is something you enjoy

I also went on to explain that if you know what you are looking for and have made mistakes and learned from them you may after gaining some experience be able to make a decent purchase later as I did in buying a boat for $2,000.00 that can most likely take me wherever I would like to go on the water.

I must admit though I'm looking at a boat with fin keel and spade rudder (OMG!) asking price of $38,900. I'll offer $25,000 though and this boat will rock and roll for a 35' cruiser with a PHRF of 123. (it's a 1984 Ericson 35 MK III)

PHRF is your handicap when racing. The lower it is the faster your boat should be. My Bristol 27's PHRF is maybe 250 but that is most likely because it was raced by cruisers.

The Catalina 22 is around 270 but if the winds and seas or up, forgetaboutit! He may as well go home while the old Bristol will continue hanging tough.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 16:20   #30

Quote:

Relax, it will be fine.

Well, where do I start?

Thomm, I've been watching Cadences posts for a while, and he doesn't seem inexperienced or simple minded to me.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat