Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2006, 19:46   #1

Someday.....

So I've lived over half a century smack dab in the middle of a high desert plateau, having see the ocean exactly 3 times in all those years, and never having been on it or in it. I was perfectly content, I might add.

Then I make the mistake of taking a bunch of Boy Scouts down to Sea Base in Florida last June. Sailing. Swimming. Snorkeling. Fishing. Islamorada to Key West and back on a shoal-draft Morgan.

I brought back some horrid DISEASE that involves listening non-stop to Jimmy Buffett, learning to tie knots that no self-respecting desert rat would use, memorizing hull shapes and sail evolution out of dusty old books, and perusing magazines and websites that sell everything from Sunfish to three-masted Brigantines. I've even booked a week with the whole family down there at the end of March.

It's rather sad, and I thought perhaps someone here could be kind enough to direct me to a cure. Or am I doomed? Be straight with me. I can take it.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 19:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
The only known cure is to sail out in the middle of a Hurricane. If that doens't cure you, then the illness has reached the final stage. Sorry, no known cure after that. Sadley, once it gets to the final stage, it has been known to destroy families. Becareful.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 19:54   #3

Send a message via AIM to MaineCub Send a message via Yahoo to MaineCub
The Cure

Ookay.. Here is what you do.

Take a rubber band and put it around your arm.

Everytime you think of sailing, give the rubber band a good pull and THWACK!

If that doesn't help.. Then sorry.. You've been infected by the sailing bug..

Welcome to the crew..

--Dave
MaineCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 19:54   #4
Kai Nui

Coyote, you are doomed. Doomed to a life of pleasure and intrigue. Massive adrenelin rushes, and great relaxation. There is no cure, but then, there is not much of a call for one
Old 20-02-2006, 20:16   #5

Well!!

Hee hee hee hee (Twirling my mustache, like Snidley Whiplash!!)

Well, from one desert rat to another.

I personelly choose to be addicted to sailing. Cause I love the sea.

But for you to get the bug. OMG!! I do feel sorry for you.

I really don't know if there is really a cure. I never heard of it?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 21:51   #6
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Welcome to the world of "positive social deviancy". Judging by your first post you fit well.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 22:22   #7

Now here's the part I find odd.
I've always been terrified of the ocean. Not just scared, but terrified at the thought of it. I had to go through the swim check and the snorkling test before boarding the boat. I stood on the shore for half an hour before being talked in by my son. Then on the boat, I stood on the stern off and on for two days before jumping in. Once in, the experience of shoving my head under water was stunning. I simply couldn't get my mind completely around those two distinct worlds that were separated by some ephemeral plane.
I'm still not comfortable with the sea, but there's a mystic draw there that seems part erotic, part visceral, and is unlike anything I've ever experienced.
Being back on board, shutting down the engine, and moving within a world of wind and sea at the same time was even more confusing.
The March trip will be interesting.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 22:26   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wouldn't worry about the swimming part. I can't swim far and I know of a lot of sailors that can't swim at all.

Old 20-02-2006, 22:30   #9

Well.

At least you still admit of having some fear of the ocean. That's not a bad thing. You must have respect for the ocean. Understand the ocean. Then your fear will subside with time. But, when it comes to hurricanes and typhoons. That I would say, even I would have my fear surface outwards.

But you have to have a plan when out on the water. If you don't have a plan. Or have respect. Or have even the littlest fear of the ocean. It'll come back on you?

You must repect everything about the ocean. Even respect that fear that bothers you? This is also the true test, to really get to know about yourself!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 20-02-2006, 22:35   #10

I like cruising and I like living on my boat, but I have been fortunate. I never got addicted to Jimmy Buffet, and I never developed the knot fetish.

That said, I think everybody should be allowed to practice their own fetishes as long as it doesn't hurt anybody else.

You can't cure Jimmy Buffet addiction, but you might be able to control it with liberal applications of thrash metal. Try Anthrax or early Metallica if you like thoughtful lyrics. Try Motley Crue if you want something a little more mainstream.

The knot thing is a little harder to control. You can tell when it is getting out of hand by the tone of voice that your family and friends use when they ask "But when would you ever USE that knot???"

Old 20-02-2006, 22:41   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey K, you sound like one of those "Old Cruisers" that just sit tied up to the Marina.

Old 20-02-2006, 22:47   #12
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
An aversion to immersion is a survival thing. Helps keep you on the right side of the lifelines.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 22:55   #13

Funny Wheels. Funny!!

Coot.

I love metal music. Anthrax, Metallica & Motley Crue.

I never was a big fan of Jimmy Buffet.

I agree about how everybody should practice their own "fetishes." Everybody should do what they feel best at doing it?

Old 21-02-2006, 08:43   #14

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Coyote - there ain't no cure, you can only treat the symptoms. Unfortunately it's expensive - first you buy a boat, then you periodically empty the contents of your wallet into it

From your mind-bending underwater experience, I would suggest you take a scuba diving course. It really is a completely different world down there.

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 10:28   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Noooo no no, Kevin, you have it slightly wrong. Emptying your wallet into the boat will mean you still have the money. Empty it into the water beside you. Remember, Boat equals, hole in the water you pour money into!