Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2021, 15:02   #31

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Solo Ocean Crossing: 40 ft or 26 ft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
I will not cross an ocean alone. One person cannot keep watch 24 hours a day for several days. That violates maritime laws and it really does endanger others; not just you.
Looks like about 200 plus folks have done it already solo that is known so there's that laws or not.......plus the recent single handed Golden Globe race

And they will do it again in 2022.

https://goldengloberace.com/ggr/
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 15:07   #32

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auklet View Post
The Contessa 26 is reputably a true blue-water cruising yacht. If I recall, that is the yacht of Tania Abei’s solo circumnavigation. “Maiden Voyage”; have a read of the book. Also, the yacht of the author of Channel Islands Cruising fame, Brian Fagan. So it’s a proven yacht for serious sailing. Its big sister, the Contessa 33, is reputed the most seaworthy blue-water sailboat ever built in that size class. The Jenneau 40 has no such fame of which I’m aware.
Yeah if a 14 year old girl can circumnavigate single handed on a Gin Fizz 40 I'm guessing it is manageable and seaworthy, as well having some such fame ;-)
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 15:14   #33

Take the Contessa. I wouldn't take the Jenneau across San Diego Bay, solo or otherwise.
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 16:36   #34

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cringle View Post
Take the Contessa. I wouldn't take the Jenneau across San Diego Bay, solo or otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailfish34
Worst grill on the market... This is a poorly designed piece of junk, which is priced at least ten times more than it is worth. I would be happier cooking over an empty coffee can burning scraps of trash.
Hey, these two ought to get together, such open mindedness, and so reticent in their opinions, they could be blood brothers.
Old 12-09-2021, 16:41   #35

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I have a 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i, I would sail her anywhere, all kinds of room, plenty of storage, and fast enough to get out of the way of things, many will bash the production vessel, just seems like a self esteem thing to me, tearing others down to elevate ones self in there own mind. The funny thing is there are a lot of production vessels out there.
My vessel is classified as a coastal cruiser and that is what I use it for, I cross oceans crewing others vessels, big heavy tanks are not fun to sail, I take my responsive 44i out for 4-5 hours a day 3-4 days a week, and I can take her 2k across some blue water in comfort.
Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 17:52   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Hey, these two ought to get together, such open mindedness, and so reticent in their opinions, they could be blood brothers.
My close mindedness is based upon owning 31 boats over the last 55 years, 25 years of full-time world cruising, and 28 years as a U.S. Coast Guard licensed master.
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 18:54   #37

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
My close mindedness is based upon owning 31 boats over the last 55 years, 25 years of full-time world cruising, and 28 years as a U.S. Coast Guard licensed master.
In the words of that famous Texas Ranger Chic Bowdrie........'You just said a mouthful '

Or maybe someone said it to him??? Bloody old age!!!
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 20:08   #38

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
That's a Jeanneau? Looks more like an Amel.....

zamber, please let us know your skill level for answering this question.

In very simple terms, downsides to tiny boats includes answering the storage of foods, parts and of course water question. Also, the motion can be rather lively. Upside is everything is smaller and easier to handle.

With a split rig like on the boat in the pic, the sails are smaller than on a sloop or cutter. So those will not be hard to deal with.

Either boat could do the job for you. Choose the one in better condition. If you are not a loner, the bigger boat would probably appeal more to a potential partner.

Ann
Agree with all of the above. Personally, for me, bigger is better. It’s not like you have to push or carry or row the bigger boat. Depends on the ocean you are crossing. The coconut run across the Pacific is relatively tame and not much sail work needed.
Old 12-09-2021, 20:53   #39

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
OK, I'll bite: with all that vast experience, why would you make such an exaggerated statement about the Jeanneau? Perhaps not the best boat in the world, but inadequate for SD Bay?? Surely with your experience and skill you could nurse it that far... maybe even up to Catalina?

Jim
Old 12-09-2021, 20:57   #40

Boat: Outbound 44

Forgetting the exact boat choices in the OP post, the main question comes down to ocean crossing solo in a small boat or solo in a medium sized boat. Take a 2,000 mile passage for example. The small boat might average 100 miles a day and the larger one 150 mpd. That's 20 days of dealing with weather in the small boat vs 13 days in the larger one.
As many have posted above, something bigger than the Contessa would be far preferred. If you are in love with the Contessa and the romance of Ocean crossing in a 26ft boat, then have at it.
Old 12-09-2021, 21:07   #41

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Chris, I find that quite astonishing: 31 boats in 55 years? That's 21 months per boat! Golly, that has to be record. It couldn't be that you could not find one you liked. You must have had a hobby of buying and selling.

Or were you a used boat dealer?

I don't get it, tell us more.
Old 13-09-2021, 02:59   #42

I am just over 6 ft - the one crippling thing (literally) is the lack of headroom.

I've sailed both larger amd smaller and the main difference is the cruiing speed of the larger boat, shortening voyage times, storage requirements and motion exhaustion.
chasfgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 03:12   #43

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

I'm totally into small boat voyaging, and the Contessa 26 is a lovely boat, but would agree with others that you should consider a few feet larger to get standing headroom and a bit more living and storage space for ocean passages.

There are dozens of well built boats in the 28 - 31 foot range which, in my mind at least, would be much more suitable to single handed ocean voyaging than any of the modern production boats which were designed and built primarily for charter service and coastal cruising.

For example, at 28 feet, my own boat is an excellent example of a well built, ocean capable, go anywhere small cruiser.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shannon 28.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	437.0 KB
ID:	245190  
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 03:53   #44

If you are tired from being in rough conditions for a few days straight and not able to get rest, your judgement and reaction times go down hill.

A bigger boat tends to be more comfortable, so easier to get that rest, so that balances the higher forces involved.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 04:17   #45

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
OK, I'll bite: with all that vast experience, why would you make such an exaggerated statement about the Jeanneau? Perhaps not the best boat in the world, but inadequate for SD Bay?? Surely with your experience and skill you could nurse it that far... maybe even up to Catalina?

Jim
Exactly. So much "experience and wisdom" but has no idea about this particular model of Jeanneau. Late 70s, built for offshore, circumnavigated by 14 year old Laura Dekker, etc.
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ocean crossing