Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Are in-mast furling mainsails the bomb?
Duh. 3 4.11%
I'm a sailor. I've heard of "bomb ketch" but don't understand your question. 1 1.37%
You do know that polls should have questions that can be answered, right? 3 4.11%
In-mast furling mainsails are really convenient. I stand by them. 46 63.01%
Honestly, between you and me, I hate 'em 20 27.40%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2021, 10:26   #106

Boat: no boat any more
Re: So walk me through the in-mast furling mainsail

...after a good 110.000 miles with slab reefing (& 3 years working on a charter base) in-mast & in-boom reefing was a deal-killer at our last boat purchase (2018). After seeing the number of boats with in-mast furling on our trip to Tahiti I was not so sure any more: quick & easy sail reduction, infinite/step-less reduction possible, no sailcover, no lazy-jacks hassle...(I am aware of the downsides, of course...)
Old 10-05-2021, 11:45   #107

Boat: Bowman 57 Ketch : Searcher

I had a Bowman 57 ketch with one of Ted Hood’s first-in-the mast furling systems.To compensate for the loss in sail efficiency, Hood had to increase the length h of the mast to 72-feet (Opps, no ICW for this boat) and add more ballast.
I sailed that boat for 14 years, made three round trip voyages from Maine to the Caribbean, one solo - the in-the-mast system was a a blessing. You just have to realize it’s limitations. The electric motor that drives the system (a 12-volt winch motor for a jeep) has a right and a left function, so when you deploy the sail, it takes a delicate hand on the outhaul and as well as motor toggle. Same going in. As someone said, keep a not so tight hand on the outhaul to ensure the sail winds in nicely. The sail had no battens, which did diminish its efficiency, since I wasn’t racing, I hardly noticed. For single-handing, I can’t see any other system being used.
DHLyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 12:01   #108
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I love them. Or rather I love passing boats that have them.
Old 10-05-2021, 12:26   #109

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
I wanna know what love is...
I want you to showwww me....

...love for in-mast furling mainsails, anyway.

I've sailed a lot of different kinds of cruisers, but never one with in-mast furling mainsails.

What do you do if it gets stuck just before a squall? Is there a way to drop it?

Also, is that an outhaul in my attached picture? I know what an outhaul does (I often sail racers) but how does that come into play here?

Also, I'm trying to work out vertical battens.

Just treat me like an 8-year-old, spell it out for me, and tell me that once I have an in-mast furling mainsail, I'll never go back.

Vertical battons that are short are OK. A bagged out Dacron main (2years) will begin to overwrap on itself and hang up. We just replaced with a North 3DI. Best sail I’ve ever had. In all cases, the sail must be FLAT with no bill in draft. The 3DI will stay flat for many years. Our in mast main is Hood Stowaway electric. The mizzen is manual.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 13:34   #110

Boat: Hunter 31

What do you do if it gets stuck just before a squall? Is there a way to drop it?

A: You can drop a sail that is fully unfurled. You do that for sail cleaning, repairs, and replacement. Very unlikely you would want (need to) do that just before a squall. Ive never had a problem furling a sail in so long as I've kept tension on the outhaul while furling (gotta know your boat's idiosyncrasies). In my experience sail jams, if they do occur, occur trying to pull the sail out after an improper furl.

Also, is that an outhaul in my attached picture? I know what an outhaul does (I often sail racers) but how does that come into play here?

A: Yes, the outhaul is the line running above the boom The outhaul is tied to the track car which rides along the top of boom. The outhaul goes through the clew of the sail (which is out of sight on the right), comes back through the track car block (visible), goes around a block at the stern end of the boom, passes though the boom, and comes out near the mast. It looks as if the outhaul passes through a couple of blocks to feed down into the port-side of the cockpit where there is likely a clutch and access to a winch.
Sailin FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 13:50   #111

This is just my experience of one yacht with in mast furling.

When new worked well. Infinitely adjustable reefing was great. I was able to reef while the sail still had some wind.

Once it got older it was awful. Regularly jammed difficult going in or out. Couldn't be reefed without rounding up so the main was flogging.

Changed to slab reefing which was simple and reliable.

Have now changed back to "out of mast" furling. Used a jib furler mounted on the back of the mast. Simplest and easiest mainsail handling I have ever experienced. Easier to use than a furling jib.
john manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 14:23   #112

Boat: 2010 Leopard 46

I have in-boom furling on my mainsail (2010 Leopard 46 cat) and I like it. Got this done about a year ago. I am a full-time live-aboard, currently in La Cruz Mexico.

Had some trouble learning to use it right (boom angle, tension on the furling line vs the halyard) but it works well when you get things right. I really like that I can reef at any batton (I have 6) and all from the helm. If things do jam, I can drop the sail. Since I don't have a sail bag or lazy jacks, that does dump a lot of canvas on my boat which would be a problem in high winds.

My mainsail has a big roach and I need to point into the wind to raise or lower. In high winds, the sail can flog pretty badly at times, but that is the same with any large roach sail in high wind.
Looking4Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 16:03   #113

Boat: Grand Banks 42 2000 Europa-
Send a message via Skype™ to Renaissance

Boom furling is safer, easier to repair, and gives better sail shape.
Renaissance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 16:21   #114

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by john manning View Post
Have now changed back to "out of mast" furling. Used a jib furler mounted on the back of the mast. Simplest and easiest mainsail handling I have ever experienced. Easier to use than a furling jib.
This has always seemed like a really practical and convenient system to me. It's not the prettiest and it probably gives the worst sail dynamics, but usually the boats I see it on are not speed demons anyways.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 17:47   #115

Boat: Hunter 45 CC

I've had my boat with the main furling for a year. Check with the manufacture for recommendations. I have a Selden and Dockhand outlined their recommendations, but I do all my furling too weather on starboard by hand..... I do not use a wench. I may use a wench handle on the mast drum if it seams to be jammed, but this is fewer times with experience. While leaning I didn't wait to reef.
Sailor_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 18:24   #116

Boat: Hunter 38

Well I've never sailed a boat with in-mast furling, and even though I just bought a 38 Hunter with it, I can STILL say I haven't sailed with it - for more than a few minutes!!!

Bloody thing!

I frankly can't understand why people want/need them. Slab reefing, dutchman, etc have all worked well for me on charter boats. On my boat the in-mast furling (Selden) was a $3,600 "upgrade" for a heavier rig, with smaller sail area, a poor sail shape, and potential problems. But, just try and find a boat since 2000 in the 30+ range without it. They're scarce as hens teeth.

If the sail is partially furled and you have a problem, no way are you getting it down. In my case the whole system crapped out with the main all the way out however, and I was able to get the main down and under control ok, just was a little sporty for a while.

Main furling line jammed then parted (I think it was pretty cooked) and a turning block at the mast step exploded (or maybe it happened the other way around and the sharp edges of the failed cheek on the block cut the already weakened line). Anyway, had to learn about it real quick like

Solution in search of a problem in my opinion. But one you may not be able to avoid.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 19:24   #117

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
I wanna know what love is...
I want you to showwww me....

...love for in-mast furling mainsails, anyway.

I've sailed a lot of different kinds of cruisers, but never one with in-mast furling mainsails.

Also, I'm trying to work out vertical battens.

Just treat me like an 8-year-old, spell it out for me, and tell me that once I have an in-mast furling mainsail, I'll never go back.
I had a in mast mainsail furler (Selden) on my 47ft sloop boats..couldn't wait to get rid of it including the jib furler.
Tired of the sail getting stuck and dangerous.
Hood couldn't make it work among others.
Besides one loses a lot of sail area by not having a roach.
More mechanics to go wrong
I have no problem with reefing a main using the slab reefing method. Or changing head sails.
I am sure for some it's a good idea.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 21:14   #118

Boat: Hunter 356

My Selden IMF has been bulletproof. I don’t treat it nicely. I have furled in flapping and other times downwind. Sometimes port tack sometimes starboard. I have a pretty flat sail. She’s reasonably fast. Mainsail is about 6 years old now.
And no problems in 3 years. I do keep a little outhaul pressure when furling in. No back pressure when furling out.

I’d guess that problems show up when sails are worn and get a belly.
jsanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 21:50   #119

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
in australia to qualify for cat 1 i believe that the boat would still need to carry a trysail...and more importantly be able to set such a sail even with the mainsail rolled up. this could be quite complicated eg a track on the mast, another halyard etc.

other countries may have different rules

cheers,
The Selden system already has that track as part of the extrusion profile. Ready for a bolt rope to slip into. You just need to rig the halyard.
Old 10-05-2021, 22:10   #120

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

Classic main typically two or three reef points. Furling main gives you nearly infinite reef points for a perfectly balanced helm.
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, mainsail, mast, sail