Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2011, 04:34   #76

Boat: Baba 35
Re: So Many Beautiful Boats Rotting Away in Their Slips . . . Why ?

I visited a boat last year via a broker in SW Florida that had been sitting in the slip for some time, the owner who had lived aboard for over a decade suffered a mild heart attack and had to pay bills. Every single aspect of the sale screamed how difficult it was for this gentleman to part ways with his true love. He wouldnt even allow a sea trial and took the main to make sure it didnt happen. That concerned me at first but after inspecting the typical trouble areas (You could eat off the bilge and lick the keel bolts) it became even more clear just how hard it was to put her up for sale.

It was in great shape considering that it was a 30 year old "leaky teaky" and I got a peak of his brightwork kit that had dozens of brushes and sanding blocks, meticulously organized by size and use. The man not only sailed the hell out of her, but also kept her well presented.

There was a contract on the sale when I saw her, but I begged the broker to put me next on the list in case if it fell through, never the less the entire experience confirmed the premise that there are those that can not only maintain the nonessentials while still doing what a boat was built to do, sail.

Perhaps I am fooling myself, but I always imagined that I could too balance the upkeep along with the initial purpose of having her.
Patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 09:08   #77

Boat: a sailing boat

People who already have a house, a car, a ... will buy a boat. Just another thing they own.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 10:43   #78

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient View Post
Perhaps I am fooling myself, but I always imagined that I could too balance the upkeep along with the initial purpose of having her.
We did too.

Time is the biggest factor.

Physical inabilities ignored too.
Old 16-10-2011, 11:04   #79

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

I think some folks have the dream of boating and put off getting into boating too late in life (after retirement in there 60's when they have the cash) and have problems with there non boating wifes and husbands and by the 60's most folks are having health issues and forget the boat and just hang out at there yacht club and brag about there boat while regularly seeing there Dr and don't go boating.
Old 16-10-2011, 12:47   #80

Best to start with a smaller boat when you are younger and gradually work your way up, as finances allow, to something bigger that you can take on an extended voyage. You will gain experience along the way too.
If at some point you decide it is not really right for you, you can sell your small boat and back out gracefully. There is no shame in admitting that you have bitten off more than you can chew. It happens to all of us in one form or another.
Knottysailorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 09:26   #81

Boat: departure 35

That's what we did. We are in our early 40's and just got a ranger 29 for our first. Learning a lot on her and not spending a lot. That is my favorite thing. We're living aboard about half the month also and loving it. I'm retired navy and seriously doubt the thrill of being out in open water will wear off. I love the ocean!! That said, we have a lot of neighbors in our marina that scare me. Most of the boats haven't been looked at in months and dock lines are rotting. If the wind picks up I'll be tying up everyone elses boat just to protect mine!
rrranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 13:29   #82

Are you supplying new rope and fenders too? (Ha! Ha!)
I have seen some greenhorns struggling with the task of tying up their boat and tying knots in general. I know one guy, not mentioning any names, who has an app on his smart phone which shows how to tie knots. There he was, with his smart phone in front of him, trying to tie a bowline. He finally got it right on the third try after he realized he had the first loop layed backwards. It was funny but sad to watch.
There is nothing wrong with having the app on your smart phone, but it is just a teaching tool and it is something you need to practice often before you venture out on your boat. I can't imagine being on a sailboat with somebody like him.
Old 17-10-2011, 13:48   #83

Boat: nothing
I have two knot apps on my phone! HA HA!!
Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 14:28   #84

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knottysailorboy View Post
Are you supplying new rope and fenders too? (Ha! Ha!)
I have seen some greenhorns struggling with the task of tying up their boat and tying knots in general. I know one guy, not mentioning any names, who has an app on his smart phone which shows how to tie knots. There he was, with his smart phone in front of him, trying to tie a bowline. He finally got it right on the third try after he realized he had the first loop layed backwards. It was funny but sad to watch.
There is nothing wrong with having the app on your smart phone, but it is just a teaching tool and it is something you need to practice often before you venture out on your boat. I can't imagine being on a sailboat with somebody like him.
I guess I don't travel in the extreme sailing situations where tying a bowline would be of critical importance. I would probably just watch him and help him tie it if he had trouble rather then not allowing him on my boat.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 15:22   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrranch View Post
That's what we did. We are in our early 40's and just got a ranger 29 for our first. Learning a lot on her and not spending a lot. That is my favorite thing. We're living aboard about half the month also and loving it. I'm retired navy and seriously doubt the thrill of being out in open water will wear off. I love the ocean!! That said, we have a lot of neighbors in our marina that scare me. Most of the boats haven't been looked at in months and dock lines are rotting. If the wind picks up I'll be tying up everyone elses boat just to protect mine!
Everyone needs a good neighbor sometime!
Old 17-10-2011, 16:22   #86

Boat: Nonsuch 30U #342 Tim Cat

My 3rd season is soon to be over and I do enjoy brightwork in the spring as the sun is shining and I can get out. I don't have a house but do like to work on my boat and get out as much as I can...never enough.
Next year a self tailing halyard winch and upgraded autohelm will enable single handed sailing as aligning crew and weather and time is a toughy being a cubicle farmer.
This is my choice as I live alone and have a dream to cruise asap and want to know as much as I can about my boat and upgrade wherever possisble.
As to the other boats that make some sad...so it goes. They are paying to have a slip and insurance for something that is not a dream but a burden on their finances.
To each his/her own as to what to do with their dream. Stuff happens and the dream turns into a burden. Dreams do get muddled at times.
Lets all just keep going with the dream and learn and get out as much as we can with whatever time we have left. Look the other way when you see a shatered dream.
jjones1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 17:00   #87

Boat: departure 35

I have a knot ap on my phone too and it doesn't embarrass me at all. I was in the navy but I was a snipe, worked in the engine rooms on steamers. I wasn't a deck ape till about a month ago and knots haven't been a big part of life since boot camp. There is always room to learn.
As for those neighbors of mine. I was thinking about taking a big logging chain and connecting it between the two pilings behind my boat also. To keep their boats out when their lines break. Boy are their some rough ones there.
rrranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:40   #88

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

I don't know , but Wharram cat's look disheveled and derelict when they're brand new.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:17   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshephe View Post
I don't know , but Wharram cat's look disheveled and derelict when they're brand new.
Wharram's catamarans are almost always homebuilt, from plans purposely designed for ease of construction and the relatively novice builder, hence the high likelihood that most of them will look a bit rough around the edges. Also, the way the hulls are strapped to the deck allows flexing in rough seas but this will also cause chafing of some parts over time. This adds to their somewhat rough appearance. I have never sailed one but have heard that they have good stability and an easy motion in rough weather. They are a bit slow though, partly because of the flexing and also their relatively short mast heights.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:48   #90
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: So Many Beautiful Boats Rotting Away in Their Slips . . . Why ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshephe View Post
Sigh.... Tell me about it....
They look even worse after 4-5yrs...
Here's a home build 21 and a Factory build 26 that I owned in the 90's...
Look so sad don't they...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img044.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	34416   Click image for larger version

Name:	img037.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	34417  

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote