Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2021, 19:33   #31

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: So I finally did it (step one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Thanks, all good advice.

Definitely haven't ruled anything out, other than the two dozen or so 30-40' boats I've sailed. None of them was right, you know?

I'm not that new to sailing, unless 1968 = new. But I'm new to retirement and this iteration of owning, and new to the Chesapeake.

Given where I sail, the Chesapeake seems positively balmy.

Oh sorry- my mistake I misread your initial post-inexperienced at boat ownership and maintenance not sailing ?
malbert73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 19:42   #32

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post

2) Judging from budgets I've seen on this forum, that my monthly maintenance budget is realistic as long as I learn to repair things on my own and don't expect to live in expensive marinas. Am I out of my mind? NO, but YOUR ESTIMATE VERY HIGH unless that includes steak, lobster and fine wine every night.
you have to plan for the worst
I do agree, your monthly maintenance and upkeep budget for a mid-30s monohull far exceeds anything I've seen mentioned. Perhaps if you're talking complete rebuild, or perhaps slip fees at a gold-plated "yacht club" (YC spoken in the snootiest British accent one can conjure ). But even then ... how does one spend $3k/month on top of all normal living expenses?

All this is to say you've got way more than enough. You're going to have an awesome retirement .
Old 17-05-2021, 20:57   #33

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Oh sorry- my mistake I misread your initial post-inexperienced at boat ownership and maintenance not sailing ?
sail like a bat out of hell

repair like a neurologically impaired sea slug

there are more of us than you'd think
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 20:58   #34

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I do agree, your monthly maintenance and upkeep budget for a mid-30s monohull far exceeds anything I've seen mentioned. Perhaps if you're talking complete rebuild, or perhaps slip fees at a gold-plated "yacht club" (YC spoken in the snootiest British accent one can conjure ). But even then ... how does one spend $3k/month on top of all normal living expenses?

All this is to say you've got way more than enough. You're going to have an awesome retirement .
Mike, I'm planning for the lobstah we order on board for your visit. Maybe with a shahdonnay...or just beeyahs
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
Old 18-05-2021, 04:05   #35

Quote:
Mike, I'm planning for the lobstah we order on board for your visit. Maybe with a shahdonnay...or just beeyahs

Now yer talkin' .
Old 18-05-2021, 04:58   #36

Quote:
Now yer talkin' .
But in all seriousness, the $3k is based on some of the budgets I've seen here (Sailorboy e.g.) plus the fact that if I have an older boat, I'll be repairing and replacing pretty much from the start, even after the initial outfitting...unless I luck into one of those boats someone else fixed up just before deciding to sell. see those around, but they seem to be the rarity.
Old 18-05-2021, 05:14   #37

Boat: Catalina 470

We love it here on the Chesapeake Bay. I'm a big fan! There are areas from top to bottom in which to sail, depths up to 100' in areas south. We are actually in what is considered the northern area, north of the Chesapeake Bay bridge (not to be confused with the Bay Bridge/Tunnel which is at the mouth). We love it up here, but are very jealous sometimes of the wider areas to the south that takes a bit to get to because we have to go back to work on Monday. There are many thousands of places to anchor to get away, there are thousands of places to get a slip and step on the earth for a walk. There are places to go and build a little camp site after anchoring nearby. If you have a dinghy, in Solomons for example, we putter around between restaurants grabbing a drink and an app and moving along to the next place on the water. We are dreaming of retiring to be able to make it more than a weekend or long weekend thing.

In our neighborhood, if you own a house or condo ($200k+ though last I looked), it either comes with a boat slip or you can rent a slip from another neighbor for (at this time) around $700 per year. That is not common in MD I'll tell ya that right up front. We're lucky we found this place.

From here we figure one can take extended forays in either direction for months at a time. Last Fall we circled the Delmarva Peninsula and plan to do that a few more times. I've seen folks poke fun at the Bay because an 8-12 hour trip gets you to your destination, but for those of us who have to show up on Monday... I'll take it! You can certainly make longer transits if you wanted, going from top to bottom, without putting in anywhere would take a bit longer.

It gets cold in the winter, but not Canada cold (speculation only, I've never been to Canada but the weather looks colder than here most of the time). We leave our boat in the water, and winterize systems. That way we don't have to tussle with marina schedules to get dropped back in. We haul once per year typically and handle our business.

Best of luck to you in your search! I'll be watching this thread for updates to your journey!
glanrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 05:33   #38

Boat: Pearson 323

I sailed the Chesapeake for over 12 years, for the first 5 years I never went to the same place twice. You could spend a lifetime there and always see something new. After the first 5 I had my ‘favorites’ list and especially my fall routine, multiple days at St. Michaels, Oxford, the eastern shore and the boat show in Annapolis. Left the Chesapeake about 15 years ago for warmer climes, February on the boat near Baltimore was one of the coolest days in around 25,000 days I’ve been around.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 05:38   #39
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
But in all seriousness, the $3k is based on some of the budgets I've seen here (Sailorboy e.g.) plus the fact that if I have an older boat, I'll be repairing and replacing pretty much from the start, even after the initial outfitting...unless I luck into one of those boats someone else fixed up just before deciding to sell. see those around, but they seem to be the rarity.
Well if you are basing on me your planned boat must need less upkeep than mine!
Old 18-05-2021, 05:40   #40

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

DMF,

I don't think you need to spend 100k on a boat. Many great boats in the 50k range, which then gives room for some refit. As to where to live/sail for a while, I recommend the Chesapeake bay. You're as isolated as you want to be with a thousand different anchorages all within hours to a day or two sail. You're close to cities with amenities (Annapolis, Baltimore) if you wish. You're one day's sailing to the Ocean, and you have easy access to Long Island sound/block island/ Newport to the north, and you have Virginia and the Carolinas to the south either by ICW or outside. Spring early summer Chesapeake, hot part of the summer new england, fall Chesapeake, winter Charleston or the Bahamas.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 05:49   #41

Boat: Bristol 27

The Chesapeake Bay Coastline and the people that live there are as diverse as the Bay itself.

I grew up near the widest part of the bay where it is about 30 miles wide. There were mostly farmers and watermen in that area then on the Eastern Side at least. Plowing a 100-200 acre field is sort of like being out on the water as the view and wild life are there to enjoy.

The strong accents were very prevalent back in the day also as we were almost totally isolated on the Eastern Shore until the Bay Bridge Tunnel was completed in 1964. Even then it took a while for folks to start using it.

The large cities are all up north or down south of this part of the Bay. You have Annapolis and Baltimore to the North and Hampton Roads to the South.

Favorite fishing spots were near Watts Island and near the Tangier wrecks was great also.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wa...!4d-75.8935456

This back in the day when you could easily fill up a large cooler with trout and croaker in a few hours fishing with peeler crab which could be bought directly from the watermen at the various crab houses on the bayside behind Onancock, VA

And if they weren't biting there, we'd put the boat back on the trailer and go to the seaside and try it there.

https://blog.esvatourism.org/2018/01...eastern-shore/
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 05:56   #42

Quote:
Just sharing my experience, but I have never come close to spending $36,000 per year on maintenance and upkeep. If a 36-foot boat is costing you that much to maintain, then you need a better boat . At that pace you'll replace your entire $100k boat every three years.
Old 18-05-2021, 22:54   #43

Quote:
Just sharing my experience, but I have never come close to spending $36,000 per year on maintenance and upkeep. If a 36-foot boat is costing you that much to maintain, then you need a better boat . At that pace you'll replace your entire $100k boat every three years.
That number includes "rent", e.g. dockage or moorage....
Old 19-05-2021, 00:50   #44

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Bravo DMF! So glad to hear that you've gotten to the cusp of drinking in life!

i so admire people who really know how to sail and navigate. i am still learning that part... but all too slow over here (really not easy finding sailing here). and, as you may recall, i have focused on learning boat systems, repairing stuff (usually on the hard). the thing is, the more i learn about repair/maintenance, the more convinced i become about the importance of getting a really well-loved boat. so, please do look for a boat that is in really, really, really good condition. as in, totally loved.

your budget is great: you'd done your homework.

Boat types... Ok, here are a few off of the top of my head, mostly a bit smaller because i rarely look at boats over 33', just don't see them.

first off, someone suggested a southern cross: gorgeous boats, beautiful lines,... but the forward cabin is tiny-small. watch for mast compression, placement of the compression post, ahem...

Chuck Paine designed some great boats that were (later on) built in your area, think, called Morris Yachts. In Europe, they are called Victoria 34 and over there i think they are called Morris 34...?

here is a small Paine 30' NEAR YOU that i'd be alllllll over if i wasn't so far away.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...om-30-3571228/

Rare as hens teeth, but the Morris Able 34 is a super-well-built boat. just for peeks, this one that's for sale in San diego has been listed for something like four years:
https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/78749

This one is way over budget (but most go for muuuuch less): Mason 33 is a solidly-built classic as well ... but know that the fuel tanks are iron (bound to be corroded as they are nestled deep in the bilge) and to switch them out you are looking at 10k all said and done.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987/mason-33-3835214/

Not quite the same calibre, but the Alujeula 33 might strum your heart strings. there are none on the market right now, but there is an active owner's website. here's some pictures of one:
https://seattle.boatshed.com/alajuel...at-117732.html

and of course Perry boats are Perry boats. I've been a Baba--aholic for years, but the Valiant 32 is said to be a solid gal, a bit less romantic, more straight-forward. just look for a well-loved one. if you venture up the 36 mark, there is the Freedom 36, but look for corrosion to the compression post

Oh and the Passport 37, hard to find, but they'll blow your mind! if you pop up to the Passport 40, there are many out there, and these have gotten great sailing-enjoyment reviews. just watch those chainplate knees (the builder made them not straight...- against what Perry designed)

You are soooooo fortunate to be in the States! all those gorgeous boats over there... all those gorgeous boats!

hey, keep us posted! so excited for you!!!

wolfie
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 04:09   #45

Quote:
That number includes "rent", e.g. dockage or moorage....

Like I say, "All this is to say you've got way more than enough. You're going to have an awesome retirement ."