Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2006, 21:11   #16

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi Dave:

Must say that sometimes lack of coverage is a good thing. Don't want it to get anymore expensive or crowded in Big Sky Country.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 00:13   #17

Boat: Catalina 30 for sale
Re: Snake thru Columbia to Seattle

the trip is doable. It will be a rough ride through the gorge from about the Dalles to Below the Bonneville as the winds are blowing Hard from the West against the current making for a very choppy Downwind River trip.
Fuel Stops are few and far between from Lewiston to Pasco then Fuel in Hood river and Portland then Astoria
NOAA's National Weather Service Bar Cameras

USCG Sector Columbia River home
BlueByeYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 19:31   #18

Boat: Cape Dory 28

At least you're going with the current. Most of the time the wind isn't bad for long stretches. It's usually just super windy in a small section. I've been through there many times. I can only think of one day it was windy from east of the dales until about Troutdale. Better get on it. It's rapidly becoming fall. Probably a nice time to be in the gorge. I would imagine October is very scenic and has less wind. I think in winter it often switches direction and comes from the east. You can look into that.

You will have to keep the boat in portland or west. It's probably too late for an inexperienced sailor to do the Washington coastal stretch. It's not very far though.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 21:27   #19

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Columbia is navigable by large vessels as far as Lewiston.

Website wouldn't load so I can't see photos.

Ignoring the business sale, what cash do you have right now. Probably best to keep the sale proceeds for outfitting and maybe cruising funds unless you have a different revenue stream.

How tall are each of you? Where would you like to go ultimately? Offshore or just putter around Puget Sound and maybe up around Vancouver Island?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 23:27   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

congrats gentlemen, you have resurrected the oldest thread I have ever seen come back to life. I wasn't even on the forum in 06. I am sure this guy either has already made the journey or died of old age....
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:50   #21

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Doh! ::

Adelie
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 20:07   #22

David,
Took my two daughters from the Tri-cities to Lewiston and back in a 24' I/O in the late 80's. The flood control dams all have enormous locks which lift you 100' to the next level. At the time, most of the locks were sparsely attended. You would pull up to a pylon and pull on a rope to signal the lock master to open up. We were often the only boat in them. It get's interesting when you are in a lock with a barge train which is pushed rather than towed. There is a lot of barge traffic both the Snake and the Columbia to be aware of. The water conditions can be challenging for a small boat as the current is flowing to the west and the wind is usually out of the west, setting up a steep chop. You won't do much if any sailing on the relatively narrow Snake.
You should have current charts and be aware of shoaling on the river. You also will be able to find lots of information on the web regarding the rivers, dams, locks and availability of marinas and fuel.
My bucket list includes completing the loop form the Tri-cities to Astoria some day.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
GPSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 18:58   #23

Boat: Lord Nelson 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
congrats gentlemen, you have resurrected the oldest thread I have ever seen come back to life. I wasn't even on the forum in 06. I am sure this guy either has already made the journey or died of old age....
haha With that short of waterline and that many miles to go, he may still be making the beat upwind!! lol And, on another note, I don't know why I'm still even shocked anymore. No sailing experience? A Columbia river bar crossing? Beating North offshore and in through the straits? A 28' boat? This all screams put it on a trailer to Seattle, then learn to sail...
Steve Olson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia, seattle