Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2020, 08:02   #1

Boat: Voyage 430
Smell of a boat on fire -boot key harbor

I wanted to post this in the old "Strange story about boot key harbor" thread but for some reason that thread has been closed.

Anyway, previously, after much discussion about what a cesspit BKH had become, many people rightly encouraged me by saying "If you don't like it, leave". Fair enough, I did.

So here I am, anchored out keys, many miles from there and enjoying the return to nature when last night I started smelling this really awful odor. Smoke mixed with that familiar plastic burning smell that comes from electrical fires. After total search through the boat, looking for a hot wire or something, I sat down to take a break and checked facebook.

Turns out, the guy that got murdered in Boot Key Harbor, apparently had his boat rafted up (usually this is code word for junker derelict) and one of the two of these boats caught fire and burned. There is a lot of hearsay going on right now so I will try to stay away from the gossip, however, even being 10 miles away sometimes won't save you from the smell of Boot Key Harbor.

And just to be clear, though I may be a critic of that harbor and the population of rabble, I sincerely hope no one was injured or hurt and I hope the environmental and property impacts are as low as can possibly be.

There is also a possible lesson in this... Stay away from poorly maintained boats. (Several boats on mooring balls had to move boats in the night because their own boats were at risk). And, if someone suddenly and unexpectedly leaves their boat, keep in mind there is no one home if something starts to go wrong. Might be worth keeping a sharp eye on said boats, trying to get the authorities to do something about it, or moving a bit. No one is going to stop it from dragging/burning, etc.

Photo pulled from the FB group.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	117766166_10158412296755340_3836001430850453134_n.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	221189  
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat