Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2011, 15:32   #16

Re: small vs larger

I agree absolutely. That will be my job. I am a very willing crewman.Fetch and tote is what I will embrace.
oldman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 15:37   #17

My nerves will be on high alert at first I will embrace the stress relief of walking around. I might even work it into a jog. That is if this old man can still bob and weave still.
Old 19-10-2011, 15:58   #18

We will not sail if it is foul. Having said that, we may get caught. I have looked, but have not as yet found a formula for being in a hove to with the relation of distace to shore.How many miles out in a 40-50 knot wind do you feel is safe ? We would like to be 20 miles. Is that enough under said conditions for 6 hours ?
Old 19-10-2011, 16:09   #19

Is this serious? Force 8 you are looking at survival tactics not wondering how far is safe offshore with little experience.
DJBrookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 16:17   #20

Thanks.This is for survival tactics. I like so many others watched Storm Tatics. She said the only time they broached in their 375,000 miles of sailing was the 2 times when they did not heave to. Once they tried to outrun and the other they went without sheets and took there chanches.Our lives might depend on what I able to glean from this.
I want and appreciate all your inputs.
Old 19-10-2011, 17:28   #21

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman66 View Post
We will not sail if it is foul. Having said that, we may get caught. I have looked, but have not as yet found a formula for being in a hove to with the relation of distace to shore.How many miles out in a 40-50 knot wind do you feel is safe ? We would like to be 20 miles. Is that enough under said conditions for 6 hours ?
Your question is relative to rate of drift and whether or not you have a lee shore. rate of drift could be two to three knots even more depending on conditions, hull design etc.

plot your course accordingly. If you see a nasty front on the weather chart that is going to put you into leeshore situation, start putting miles between you and the shore immediately.

But if your journey is over a two three or four days, you will have plenty of advanced warning for long periods of bad weather. Summer storms on the hand arent overly predictable , but luckily they only last a few hours "generally".
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 17:38   #22

Re: Smaller vs Larger

Your post is right on the money. The average duration of a hard blow will determine the distance. What is differant, is it trip will be or not be within the next 20 days. We may lose this fair time and have to wait until spring, something I am trying to avoid.
Old 19-10-2011, 17:44   #23

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Is this a monohull or catamaran ?
Old 19-10-2011, 17:45   #24

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Systems really make as much difference as size in my mind, but given equal, typical systems, the larger the boat the more I feel I'm dependent on more people and/or systems to do what I can't do on my own. I've sailed my 30-footer solo in all sorts of weather and can get the anchor up on my own without an windlass even in 35 knots.

I feel I can handle a 36-footer on my own in average conditions. I can't imagine solo sailing a 40+ footer on my own.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 17:47   #25

I think bigger boats are easier to sail, more work though.....but the real challenge is dependent on how big the winches are.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 17:51   #26

I am sorry, the boat has mono fin keel.
Old 19-10-2011, 21:13   #27

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I think bigger boats are easier to sail, more work though.....but the real challenge is dependent on how big the winches are.
I politely disagree. They certainly feel more gentle and provide more dryer-comfy rides. But there are many times when you need to "fight" the boat or one of its systems, that make a smaller boat easier. Flogging sails, carrying sails, Hoisting sails, fighting broaches, Kite sets/drops, carrying anchors (oh my back) and chain around. You are 100% right about the winches.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 21:51   #28

Surely it has been well documented that the best sailors start with smaller boats, at the end of the day a boat's a boat and anything done slowly is achievable. Would it not be prudent to go on a short sail first this will give you a good idea.
Pagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 04:02   #29

I have an experienced sailor/teacher/trainer of many years.I am just trying to move the boat now instead of later in the spring.I am sure he knows all of this. I want to know for myself all I can.Where else to go with my question than the collective wisdom of so many with so much experience gathered in one place.Alibi it being electronic.?
Old 20-10-2011, 04:05   #30

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

If he is as experienced as you say in sailboats, he will automatically adapt to the bigger boat..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote