Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2019, 03:29   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Small Boat Cruiser's Heading North

Saw on the Dinghy Dreams Website this am that Emily (Pearson Ariel 26) appears to be headed back home to Canada

And was at least 5 days ago sailing along with Sean D' on his Bristol 27 which he has crossed the Atlantic and Pacific on.

The photo (below and on her website) shows Sean D' with sculling oar. I believe he has 600 watts of solar on that small boat also

Dinghy Dreams – Road to the Sea
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sean Bristol 27.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	191663  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:22   #2

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Re: Small Boat Cruiser's Heading North

We first met Sean in Pago Pago, then again in New Zealand, South Africa and North Carolina. By the looks of his boat, I would have thought twice about sailing it across the bay, much less around the world. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2513.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	191679
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
We first met Sean in Pago Pago, then again in New Zealand, South Africa and North Carolina. By the looks of his boat, I would have thought twice about sailing it across the bay, much less around the world. Attachment 191679
From what I've read from him, it appears he is somewhat of a natural tech/mech/engineer so I'm thinking he has inspected the boat and knows how strong it still is. Bristol 27's are strong to start with

When I first got my boat, also a Bristol 27, I had a not so good first outing on it and the engine failed. I had to get towed in due to a very narrow 4 mile long creek and left the boat at the end of the dock not well protected. Then I went home 70 miles away

Over the next few days a storm passed thru and the boat beat against the dock and especially one piling the whole time thru several tide cycles. When I finally arrived back at the boat, it had sawed off a good section of a piling making it flat on one side. There was no damage to the boat

These old boats do stain easy after a while. I have been painting on mine all Winter inside and out. Before that it looked similar to Sean's in some areas.

Here's another of him a believe with a small writeup

jasonandargo
This guy right here sailed alone around the world on this tiny 27' boat. He started almost 10 years ago with a junk boat he bought in California for $1,000. He has practically no money, no engine, no bed, no cushions, no pillows, no running water, no bathroom, and definitely no refrigerator. He crisscrossed the pacific going all around the Phillipines, Indonesia, Micronesia... He rounded the southern tip of Australia and Tasmania, crossed the Indian Ocean to Africa, rounded the Cape Of Good hope and crossed the southern Atlantic to the Caribbean then all the way to Maine. #circumnavigation #rugged #bristol27 #sailingaroundtheworld #solosailing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	21436019_1538849402845927_5031581949932601344_n.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	191682  
Old 08-05-2019, 09:07   #4

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

[QUOTE=thomm225;2885214]From what I've read from him, it appears he is somewhat of a natural tech/mech/engineer so I'm thinking he has inspected the boat and knows how strong it still is. Bristol 27's are strong to start with

When I first got my boat, also a Bristol 27, I had a not so good first outing on it and the engine failed. I had to get towed in due to a very narrow 4 mile long creek and left the boat at the end of the dock not well protected. Then I went home 70 miles away

Over the next few days a storm passed thru and the boat beat against the dock and especially one piling the whole time thru several tide cycles. When I finally arrived back at the boat, it had sawed off a good section of a piling making it flat on one side. There was no damage to the boat

These old boats do stain easy after a while. I have been painting on mine all Winter inside and out. Before that it looked similar to Sean's in some areas.

When we first met Sean in Pago Pago, he was collecting pieces of styrofoam from the beach. We asked him why he was doing that and he told us that his boat had leaks and the styrofoam was for flotation. He was initially refused permission to leave New Zealand by their Coast Guard as they deemed his boat to be unseaworthy.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 15:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
When we first met Sean in Pago Pago, he was collecting pieces of styrofoam from the beach. We asked him why he was doing that and he told us that his boat had leaks and the styrofoam was for flotation. He was initially refused permission to leave New Zealand by their Coast Guard as they deemed his boat to be unseaworthy.

Fair winds and calm seas.
Yep, but he finally got their approval to sail away...…..
Old 09-05-2019, 10:15   #6

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Sean sure puts that new boat salesperson's hype about what you "just gotta have" to go offshore all to shame.

Imagine the look of absolute horror on the faces of the million dollar never leave the marina boaties as Sean pulls into a slip on their dock after his circumnav.

I am not a "Sean" type of boat owner, but I sure am glad that they are out there. Get out in the far flung nooks and crannies of the cruising world and you will meet lots of them.

Good on you Sean!

Cheers!
Old 09-05-2019, 10:41   #7

A write up on Sean from a local boating website in Oriental, North Carolina...

https://towndock.net/shippingnews/se...-and-alexandra

He is, his own person.
Old 09-05-2019, 13:49   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You Guy’s know this guy don’t you?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 16:11   #9

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Just befor I left the UK my boat was a concours exibit at the Brest festival. Now it looks like this one and people keep wondering if it is a derelic. After that trip I am not suprised his boat is cospetically a bit rough, to corrup an old phrase, dont judge a boat by the sail covers.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 16:34   #10

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Sailfish View Post
Sean sure puts that new boat salesperson's hype about what you "just gotta have" to go offshore all to shame.

Imagine the look of absolute horror on the faces of the million dollar never leave the marina boaties as Sean pulls into a slip on their dock after his circumnav.

I am not a "Sean" type of boat owner, but I sure am glad that they are out there. Get out in the far flung nooks and crannies of the cruising world and you will meet lots of them.

Good on you Sean!

Cheers!
Not my style either but man, this guy just does it ! When people ask what kind of boat you need for blue water cruising we should just post his pictures. Impressive.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:16   #11

His boat actually is considered a blue water boat but at first seeing it you may not see that right off

It has few stanchions, but does have a double forestay and backstay. Plus he's replaced the other cable rigging

I think it has 600 watts of solar

And that unique steering system which not only includes his pypilot but other rollers etc he's engineered out of throw away items.

And he may have cut that main down to size also. It fits better than my $1600 main and I had a sailmaker come out and take measurements
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Seand2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	191751   Click image for larger version

Name:	seand3.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	191752  

Name:	seand5.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	191753  
Old 10-05-2019, 13:04   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Not my style either but man, this guy just does it ! When people ask what kind of boat you need for blue water cruising we should just post his pictures. Impressive.
Good one matey!

Next time a newbie is on here asking 1 million questions about "what is the ideal blue water boat", just throw up a picture of Sean and his boat Capt Lloyd and the thread will end with crickets chirping because it will scare the OP to death. Too funny! (not politically correct but damn funny)

Happy Friday to all boats big and small out on the hook!
Old 14-08-2019, 09:36   #13

I dont think this guy had any issues with pirates or greedy boat boys. Looking at him lm sure you get that wild eye look. Cant help but be just a little envious of the stories he could tell his grand kids.
dakardad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 10:10   #14

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:

Good on you Sean!

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post

Quote:
Good one matey!

Next time a newbie is on here asking 1 million questions about "what is the ideal blue water boat", just throw up a picture of Sean and his boat Capt Lloyd and the thread will end with crickets chirping because it will scare the OP to death. Too funny! (not politically correct but damn funny)

Oh, PS: when "Sean pulls into a slip on their dock after his circumnav" under sail (and/or sculling oar) because he has no damn engine either...!

And here I was thinking that I was a real sailor...
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 10:15   #15

No head? So he's just dumping his waste overboard all over the place?
svenskflicka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruise, cruiser, head, small boat