Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2017, 08:01   #61

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: Sloop vs Ketch upwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by james247 View Post
Agreed if cruising to windward is ones goal then a sloop is appropriate . But as allllll cruisers agree every day to windward is a day in hell.
All sailing routes of the world are off the wind. It's all about comfort and efficient off wind sailing. But there are the days when we must win ground to a windward location and to sail at 40 degrees is a sad and wasted experience. 32 degrees is acceptable. But 22 degrees is fantastic
22 degrees is indeed fantastic....and requires either magic or a Yanmar.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 08:37   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
or an Ingrid 38 if you can believe post #29

(Are we talking AWA or TWA )
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 08:42   #63

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
or an Ingrid 38 if you can believe post #29

(Are we talking AWA or TWA )

Maybe we’re measuring the wind angle through the slot and completely ignoring the compass?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 00:35   #64

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Or some great drugs !!!
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 02:35   #65

I think the racing aspect is pushing a lot of it. Yes, all else being equal a sloop will go upwind faster but your average cruiser avoids going upwind whenever possible.

For under 45' boats, there isn't a lot of justification for a ketch as the sails on a sloop are pretty manageable without specialized equipment. Given the lower equipment cost of a sloop and a lot of people buying smaller boats with at least some consideration of racing (where upwind is typically the deciding factor in who wins the race), the emphasis is on sloops when it comes to new sales. I think it's reached the point where the sloop is the default sailboat, so anything else looks odd to the newbie.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 03:03   #66

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The final Shannon ketch design.
The Bass-O-Matic of sailboats. It's ketch! It's a catamaran! It's a motorsailer! But wait, there's more!
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 03:32   #67

Boat: Valiant 40

I think the "manageability" benefit of a ketch rig is overrated. I've singled-handed both and find that more sails, more lines, more sticks etc. is actually an impediment. Give me a cutter or solent rig sloop with three reefs in the main and I'm a lot happier (and probably left with a bit more money in my pocket).

I agree about off the wind balancing superiority. It's magical when you get it dialed in.

And since the majority of us spend vastly more time at anchor than actually under sail, let's not forget about the ketch's secret weapon. The riding sail.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 05:13   #68

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I see that my post has drawn all the guffaws that dyslexia deserves..I meant 32 degrees not 23 degrees...23 degrees does indeed require the Yanmar. Where in auto correct when you need it.:-)
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 05:37   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
I see that my post has drawn all the guffaws that dyslexia deserves..I meant 32 degrees not 23 degrees...23 degrees does indeed require the Yanmar. Where in auto correct when you need it.:-)

That’s still awa....right?
Old 28-11-2017, 08:16   #70

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post

Sometimes autocorrect “corrects” in the opposite direction from what we’d prefer it to. It can be entertaining or occasionally quite frightening! [emoji15]

I can only read my wind indicator +\- about 3 degrees but I feel like about 35 degrees is as good as I can hope for and only in ideal conditions are the “steps” on the gps track about 90 degrees. Usually it looks more like about 100 degree tacks.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 16:32   #71

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I sail upwind doing 9+ knots at 21 degrees AWA a lot. Its on a magical boat called Merlin, but what really does the trick is the set of 3di sails, which cost more than most cruising boats. That kind of performance is pretty common among the 70 ft sleds and TP52's. Its not as good as the Volvos 70's, IMOCA's, or the AC foiling cats.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 16:45   #72

Sloop vs Ketch upwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I sail upwind doing 9+ knots at 21 degrees AWA a lot. Its on a magical boat called Merlin, but what really does the trick is the set of 3di sails, which cost more than most cruising boats. That kind of performance is pretty common among the 70 ft sleds and TP52's. Its not as good as the Volvos 70's, IMOCA's, or the AC foiling cats.

But that’s AWA. What are your tacking angles?

I sail a foiling catamaran where the AWA is always right up the snoot.....our tacking angles suck as a consequence of our speed.
Old 30-11-2017, 17:39   #73

My Morgan Giles designed 40 footer, with a modern mast & the best of sails, [in 1970] including 185% genoa used to split tacks at 70 degrees in smooth water & about 10 knots of breeze, & make good over the ground at about 76 degrees.

She was about the highest pointing boat racing on Sydney harbour back in the day of serious harbour racing.

You could add about 10 degrees to that, once you were punching into even a small sea.

She was one of 3 boats rigged as our second Americas Cup challenge was to be rigged, to train prospective crews, used to sailing mast head rigs, in the techniques of the 7/8Ths rig.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 17:47   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Is that Bill Lee's Merlin?
https://www.sailingworld.com/merlins-journey

Quite some boat!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:09   #75

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

It was Bill Lee's Merlin until yesterday, when we did an offshore sale. I acted as buyer's agent for the new owner. Hauled the boat today and the mast,keel,and rudder will come off for trucking to its new home in Tampa.

Tacking angle is about 70-74 degrees at VMG angles, but the boat has a high mode that will tack through 66-68 degrees with the new Alan Andrews keel its 4th keel (its 4th keel).
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch, sloop, wind