Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2019, 10:55   #46

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser
Re: Slogging up the US wet coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCrunchie View Post
BTW, who said anything about us having a bad experience? I sure didn’t. But I will say that this has been one hell of a shake down. Best of all, if Wifey had any anxiousness around being on a boat at sea, no matter what the conditions, that’s long gone.

In other words, it’s all good!
Well, I guess I was the one who brought up a bad experience. Pounding into 40kt winds and big seas with an unreliable engine and mismatched prop wouldn't be my choice. On the other hand, your boat - so your choice. I wish you well.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 11:11   #47

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
Well, I guess I was the one who brought up a bad experience. Pounding into 40kt winds and big seas with an unreliable engine and mismatched prop wouldn't be my choice. On the other hand, your boat - so your choice. I wish you well.
Have you ever been through a Force 10 storm at sea? I’ve been through two, one off the Oregon coast. I wish this boat had different gear, but I knew what it had when we bought it 3 weeks ago. The boat is sound. But even if it sank tomorrow, we have all the survival gear, including an EPIRB, are only 4 to 12 miles off the coast, in a boat that has only taken water over the gunnels twice, and a 38’ waterline that takes short frequency waves like ripples. And after all that, it is still just a boat.

Personally, anyone who thinks what we are doing is crazy or uncomfortable should stay on their nice comfy couch. True sailors deal with situations like this, yet remain undeterred. The issues we are having are merely an annoyance, and certainly not life-threatening.
CptCrunchie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 11:18   #48

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I don't now Capt, I wish you well, but what you have described sounded like more than just an annoyance, even to you. Having to anchor out in 40 kts to make repairs and then having marginal ability to motor back into port at least SOUND like something considerably more than mere annoyance. There are some true sailors who would wait until the weather clears a bit more.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 11:25   #49

Quote:
Have you ever been through a Force 10 storm at sea? I’ve been through two, one off the Oregon coast.
No, and I do not expect to either. Why take a "recreational" or "pleasure" boat out into Force 10 seas in a coastal area by choice?

Quote:
True sailors deal with situations like this, yet remain undeterred.
I thought true sailors tried to exercise sound judgement and avoid dangerous situations whenever possible. I do at least.

Regarding Brookings boat harbor. It is a small facility with limited capabilities. I lived and worked in that area for a while so I do have some perspective. Now, if you've been assured someone there has the capability you need, so be it. The next two ports up the coast, Gold Beach and Port Orford have even more limited capabilities so assistance will be getting thin on the ground in that direction.
Old 27-05-2019, 11:30   #50

Quote:
No, and I do not expect to either. Why take a "recreational" or "pleasure" boat out into Force 10 seas in a coastal area by choice?

I thought true sailors tried to exercise sound judgement and avoid dangerous situations whenever possible. I do at least.
If you ever decide to do big water sailing, you best expect, or at least understand, that Force 10 storms are all over the world. Some Are avoidable , some do you have to deal with.
Old 27-05-2019, 11:37   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I don't now Capt, I wish you well, but what you have described sounded like more than just an annoyance, even to you. Having to anchor out in 40 kts to make repairs and then having marginal ability to motor back into port at least SOUND like something considerably more than mere annoyance. There are some true sailors who would wait until the weather clears a bit more.
Actually Dan, my anxiousness and frustration is about my wife doing a face plant into a cupboard, and me cracking two ribs while trying to tie down a tattered mizzen. The rest, including replacing pumps and dealing with engine and fuel issues is pure annoyance.
Old 27-05-2019, 11:49   #52

It's been a long time since I have been in Crescent City but I could have sworn I saw fishing boats hauled out there. Have you considered renting a car to drive up to Brookings to check out the harbor entrance and facilities? Do you know which prop you need? A diver there might be able to change it out for you. Perhaps you have considered all these already.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 27-05-2019, 11:53   #53

Quote:
Actually Dan, my anxiousness and frustration is about my wife doing a face plant into a cupboard, and me cracking two ribs while trying to tie down a tattered mizzen. The rest, including replacing pumps and dealing with engine and fuel issues is pure annoyance.
Well, yes, exactly... In those conditions the boat may do well, but it only takes one simple fall like that or other injury to initiate a cascade of events and things go south in a hurry...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 27-05-2019, 11:55   #54

Quote:
If you ever decide to do big water sailing, you best expect, or at least understand, that Force 10 storms are all over the world. Some Are avoidable , some do you have to deal with.
I have been successfully making coastal passages by sailboat and powerboat in the coastal waters of Northern California, Oregon, Washington, BC, and SE Alaska for most of my adult life. I believe that is the area and the type of passage we are presently discussing. Certainly, a blue water passage across the Pacific presents a different set of challenges and of exposure to risks, for that matter.
Old 27-05-2019, 12:08   #55

Quote:
It's been a long time since I have been in Crescent City but I could have sworn I saw fishing boats hauled out there. Have you considered renting a car to drive up to Brookings to check out the harbor entrance and facilities? Do you know which prop you need? A diver there might be able to change it out for you. Perhaps you have considered all these already.
Crescent City has a Hertz out at the airport, and a carlot that does the odd rental. We considered it, but haven’t gone that way. I will know more about the dry dock when I call them tomorrow.

The marina is brand new, completely rebuilt since the Japan tsunami. Most of the previous struggling businesses never rebuilt. There is no haul—out facility, so says Brit, the manager of Englund

I am ordering the correct prop - now that I know what it is - from Michigan Wheel tomorrow, along with a new shaft cutlass. I’m also ordering the proper impeller pump now that I have located one.

According to the survey report, the curent prop has shims. When I asked if it would get us home, he said it should.
Old 27-05-2019, 12:21   #56

https://www.portofbrookingsharbor.co...intenance.html
Old 27-05-2019, 12:49   #57

Heck, I don't know, never been to Brookings, but a quick look at the map makes me think the harbor entrance might pose a challenge if the swell is high, which it sounds like it is not too bad now but may be picking up a little this week, both of which I am guessing you have already checked.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 27-05-2019, 13:25   #58

Quote:
It's been a long time since I have been in Crescent City but I could have sworn I saw fishing boats hauled out there.
Below is a link to photos of the F/V Widgeon hauled out at Fashion Blacksmith yard at Crescent City last week. I understand the Port of Crescent City also has a 30 ton travel lift hoist for its storage and DIY yard. So, no, you are not hallucinating.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fashi...17153675010721
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FV Widgeon.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	192770  
Old 27-05-2019, 13:37   #59

Quote:
So, no, you are not hallucinating.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fashi...17153675010721
you have no idea how reassuring that is!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 27-05-2019, 14:55   #60
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

A couple of saying just came to mind....." There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots"......"you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink"......and, yes, I have been out in Force 10, and it was not predicted, more than once. Quite an annoyance. More than an annoyance, I would have said! When it comes to you, that's one thing. When you go to it, another thing, entirely.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote