Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2021, 13:25   #61

Boat: KP 46
Re: Silver + Gold stacking while cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
I'm not sure I understand your point. Was nothing questionable found because there were no such items to find, or because you feel you outsmarted them with your clever hiding place. I was commenting on your earlier observation that "no one is going to come looking for it". You and I have both found that "someone" may well come looking.
Point is if you inform Customs you have gold or sliver aboard, you may be targeted. Believe it or not there are corrupt government agents in many country's.

No "feelings", just simple facts.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 13:29   #62
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
No one is arguing with that. It is trying to hide a significant quantity of same on your boat (like over $10K worth) which might not be such a good idea.
You wish… a whole bunch have been arguing that, even claiming ATM’s are the way to go

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 14:52   #63

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Curious - any idea why someone would pay above market for a fungible commodity?
Typical sale prices for gold coins are usually above the market value of gold by weight. In that sense, most holders of gold coins buy "above market".
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 15:45   #64

Two comments on this post: one, when I was preparing my boat to cruise back in the late '80's early '90's I read a book entitled "Sailing the Farm". The author suggested that cruisers prepare their boats for a complete breakdown of society and advocated carrying large amounts of silver or gold coins or use in out-of-the -way primitive economies. So I bought $500 dollars in "junk silver"; pre-1964 U.S. Coins of no collector value. Well, after 22 years of visiting those primitive economies, we had never spent even one coin. Two: In the late '90's, popular rumors amoug both cruisers and islanders opined that South African cruisers were all rich farmers, spiriting their wealth out of South Africa by loading their boats down with Kugerands. The result was that those boats suffered an unusually high number of break-ins and armed robberies.
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 16:29   #65

Boat: Dix 43 HD

lots of cruisers here seem to know the economic melt down is coming - so can I please have a date otherwise your prediction is not worth the digital divide it is sent forth on.

Regardless of the crash or not one currency will still be required otherwise we will be back to swapping goats milk for potatoes.
My punt is that greenbacks will win out over dinars, baht, yuan or all the alternatives
Now where did I put my crystal ball !!
Grattaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 16:48   #66

Boat: Atkins Thistle 32 ft

For long term inflation hedges, gold, silver, and a few other heavy metals have proven.
For SHTF, preppers stack lead cased in brass, and the tools to use it.
For medium term economic problems, e.g. a friend faced with 6 months unable to work, freeze-dried, dehydrated, canned, etc. are proven.
Carrying anything valuable across state lines can set you up for Civil Asset Forfeiture. The boys in blue will grab it all, report half of it, and you’ll never get it back. Try it with any kind of weapon and you can spend some time as a guest of the state. Try it crossing national borders, and it can get a whole lot worse. Don’t even think about drugs.
IolantheSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 17:15   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by IolantheSF View Post
For long term inflation hedges, gold, silver, and a few other heavy metals have proven.
Can you provide a citation for this? In October 2011, gold was trading around $1650 and DJIA was 11,000. Today, Gold is $1800 (9%increase over the period) and DJIA is 35000 (320% increase). Gold hasn't even kept up with inflation (22% over the period). Sadly, this is not an outlier for gold - there are brief periods of high performance, but only brief suggesting it's not an investment but rather speculation.

https://www.macrotrends.net/2608/gol...100-year-chart

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 17:41   #68

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
Between Canada and the US, you can carry in as much as you want as long as you declare it. You will likely be questioned about its origins and purpose, but you won't be locked up.

Maybe not but it could be confiscated

Don’t even need to be at a boarder for confiscation as potentially ill got gains
Old 31-10-2021, 18:05   #69

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Can you provide a citation for this? In October 2011, gold was trading around $1650 and DJIA was 11,000. Today, Gold is $1800 (9%increase over the period) and DJIA is 35000 (320% increase). Gold hasn't even kept up with inflation (22% over the period). Sadly, this is not an outlier for gold - there are brief periods of high performance, but only brief suggesting it's not an investment but rather speculation.

https://www.macrotrends.net/2608/gol...100-year-chart

Peter
Here you go, same source.

https://www.macrotrends.net/1335/dol...last-ten-years

Gold Prices and U.S. Dollar Correlation - 10 Year Chart
This chart compares the daily LBMA fix gold price with the daily closing price for the broad trade-weighted U.S. dollar index over the last 10 years.
Gold = Gold
Blue = Dollar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gold.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	247636  
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 18:14   #70

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Maybe not but it could be confiscated

Don’t even need to be at a boarder for confiscation as potentially ill got gains
What really sucks is so can the money in the bank.

I’ve had a significant amount basically stolen from my account in the past.

It would be nice if there was a more secure way to store value than either banks or precious metals.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 20:42   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
Here you go, same source.

https://www.macrotrends.net/1335/dol...last-ten-years

Gold Prices and U.S. Dollar Correlation - 10 Year Chart

This chart compares the daily LBMA fix gold price with the daily closing price for the broad trade-weighted U.S. dollar index over the last 10 years.

Gold = Gold

Blue = Dollar
I still don't understand. Appears you're comparing gold commodity trading against USD ForEx trading, one of the riskiest forms of investing imaginable.

Over the 10 year period between 2011 and now, cumulative CPI inflation has been 22%. During same period, gold increased 9% - a 13% loss in purchasing power. How is that a longterm hedge against inflation? I'm sure there are some short periods where gold has done well, but the long term trends over last 30-40 years seem to show a similar trend, especially compared to other asset classes such as equities, bonds, and real estate.

Peter

EDIT- from WSJ Aug 21 2021 - seems gold has performed better than I thought, but still a laggard. If your investment horizon is a century or more, there is data to support gold as a hedge against inflation.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/gold-as...us-11628283272

Text cut and pasted as some of the article is behind a paywall.

"Gold is only a good inflation hedge over time frames far longer than any of our investment horizons, according to research conducted by Duke University professor Campbell Harvey and Claude Erb, a former commodities portfolio manager at TCW Group. They found that it’s only when measured over very long periods—a century or more—that gold has done a relatively good job maintaining its purchasing power. Over shorter periods its real, or inflation-adjusted, price fluctuates no less than that of any other asset.

"Gold’s weakness as an inflation hedge may be even more pronounced today, Prof. Harvey says, because “gold is currently very expensive compared to its history.” The current gold-to-CPI ratio stands at 6.5, for example, nearly double its 50-year average of 3.6."
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 22:12   #72

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

What many cite as evidence for their arguments (past 20, 30, 40 years) is not relevant to the OP belief that what happened in Venezuela (extreme inflation) will happen world wide primarily due to climate catastrophe causing an economic collapse. And further, financial institutions will become insolvent like 1929. If that does happen, and it is not crazy to think that it may within 20-30 years, then gold is a good hedge against fiat, cash, value crashing or just becoming unavailable. I would still recommend diversification.

As for hiding $20k or $40k of gold. That is very doable. We are talking a few pounds. The size of a baseball or 2. Dogs cannot sniff it out, so it would be fairly easy to hide. That said, it is a HUGE risk if you get caught. You loose the gold and maybe your freedom. Another big risk is if the boat sinks, burns, gets stolen, etc. don't put all your eggs in 1 basket.

If Ivory, the OP, thinks their will be an economic crash, then I think he's on the right track for him. But I would not keep all the gold on the boat. I would have some in a safety deposit boxes in a few banks, maybe even some hid on some property somewhere he can access and maybe just under $10k hidden on the boat. That $10k should be enough to get him to his other stashes if it comes to that.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 22:18   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardbeg View Post
I would be far more worried about destruction of the electricity grid naturally or on purpose.
Actually, yea, that is a big concern also. Carrington level events happen every 150ish years.... the last one happened 160 years ago.

So many people seem to go with "if anything happens, I guess I'll just die then".

Seems strange to me, since basic preparations aren't really that difficult. But, well, to each their own haha.
Ivory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 22:34   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
What many cite as evidence for their arguments (past 20, 30, 40 years) is not relevant to the OP belief that what happened in Venezuela (extreme inflation) will happen world wide primarily due to climate catastrophe causing an economic collapse.
????? No one is really talking about climate catastrophe (certainly not me).

Climate change we will see just a continued version of what we have been seeing. More frequent natural disasters and disaster relief efforts.

Then a lot of poor people really being hammered by climate change and forced to relocated (more refugees across the world).

But for rich people? The price of foods will go up and it might be harder to find some items in the store (which isn't really that unusual).

Quote:
And further, financial institutions will become insolvent like 1929.
Financial institutions are already insolvent. Something like 6x the amount of gold that exists on earth is being traded in gold futures....

Spoilers - That means they are insolvent, but people are fine trading pieces of paper with "gold" stamped on them as if it were something real I guess.

Same with the US dollar, there is factually nothing behind that besides a country saying "we good for it yo". That, in reality, is not value.... that means the "wealth" is just an illusion that everyone is playing around with.

Which is why the fed (a private organization) can print unlimited 'money' as they feel like it.... then hand that out to corporations to buy back their own stocks and inflate the stock market....

So you have an economic system that is basically some random guy grabbing a piece of paper and writing "a billion dollars" on it, then handing it to his friend, and his friend going with that into the market and buying up real things.... inflating basically everything (stocks, property, and so on).

Meanwhile another random guy is selling anyone who wants gold or silver another piece of paper with "gold" written on it.... and since he has unlimited paper gold, he can sell that non stop and deflate the price of silver / gold (unlimited supply tends to do that).

End of the day.... it's all a giant house of cards being run by a small group of people printing themselves and their friends fantasy "wealth" while scamming everyone else into giving them real wealth for their scams.....

Quote:
I would have some in a safety deposit boxes in a few banks
This is the very worse thing you could do. Having gold in the bank means you don't have gold....

The US has a history of simply taking all gold you have in the bank and liquidating you.....

In 1934 this very thing happened when they signed the gold reserve act.

"Section 2 of the act transferred ownership of all monetary gold in the United States to the US Treasury. Monetary gold included all coins and bullion held by individuals and institutions, including the Federal Reserve."

So when the time comes, anything you have in the bank will be gone.... ((which, again, means if you have gold in the bank.... you don't have gold)).
Ivory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:58   #75
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

There you are after the fall of civilisation in your 21 century rich world boat , and you think having gold will be useful. The poor and dispossessed people will just take it all off you. ( or the replacement civil authority will ).

Just cruise and use the atm network sheesh

Tags
cruising