Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2021, 11:18   #46

Boat: KP 46
Re: Silver + Gold stacking while cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Consider the novel, The Golden Keel, by Desmond Bagley.

Ann
An excellent read, along the same line is one of my favorites Nevil Shute's Trustee from the Toolroom.

Hope all is well with you two!

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 11:33   #47

Boat: O'Day 40

Coincidentally I just read about George Whittell Jr. who liquidated much of his assets in 1929, (he bought gold) before the crash, and thereby became one of the wealthiest men in California.
Maybe holding some of your wealth in gold is a good idea.
Old 31-10-2021, 11:38   #48

Boat: 1976 AMF Paceship 23

Another option is to use diamonds. You can have a dentist drill holes in you back teeth and embed diamonds in them. Then after the "collapse" you just need to find a local dentist and have him/her extract a couple (one small one to pay the dentist and oneto pay for room and board or whatever)l.
KenKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 11:38   #49

Bitcoin.
solana707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 11:54   #50

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
BIn my opinion (and travels) Large (or small) amounts of gold and silver should be treated like weapons. Not something I declare. I know, I will get lots of negative "Don't Do It!!" comments about not declaring weapons but it has worked well for me in two circumnavigations so not my advice, just my experience. If folks don't know you have it, (and it is not in an easy to find place), no one is going to come looking for it. Money is well spent designing and building places on your boat for such things.
I have had my boat thoroughly searched on two different occasions by drug interdiction teams during routine passages between Canada and the US along the Pacific Coast. I wouldn't count on the "no one will ever find it" approach to concealed firearms or gold.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 11:56   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
Coincidentally I just read about George Whittell Jr. who liquidated much of his assets in 1929, (he bought gold) before the crash, and thereby became one of the wealthiest men in California.
Maybe holding some of your wealth in gold is a good idea.
No one is arguing with that. It is trying to hide a significant quantity of same on your boat (like over $10K worth) which might not be such a good idea.
Old 31-10-2021, 11:57   #52
Marine Service Provider

Really? Have you ever watched "Locked Up Abroad"? The ten thousand US dollar or more valuation for exporting or importing any kind convertible currency, precious metals or jewels is pretty much a law in nearly country on the planet.
Try exporting or importing $9,999 or say $5,000 worth between you and a traveling partner or anyone who can be connected with you and they will arrest both or you and charge you "structuring," a novel crime invented by treasury officials worldwide.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 12:04   #53

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Really? Have you ever watched "Locked Up Abroad"? The ten thousand US dollar or more valuation for exporting or importing any kind convertible currency, precious metals or jewels is pretty much a law in nearly country on the planet.
Try exporting or importing $9,999 or say $5,000 worth between you and a traveling partner or anyone who can be connected with you and they will arrest both or you and charge you "structuring," a novel crime invented by treasury officials worldwide.
Between Canada and the US, you can carry in as much as you want as long as you declare it. You will likely be questioned about its origins and purpose, but you won't be locked up.
Old 31-10-2021, 12:16   #54

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
I have had my boat thoroughly searched on two different occasions by drug interdiction teams during routine passages between Canada and the US along the Pacific Coast. I wouldn't count on the "no one will ever find it" approach to concealed firearms or gold.
I too have been searched several times by USCG, also by the Mexican Navy (took about four hours), and many other countries. Nothing was ever found in any of these searches

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 12:18   #55

For those interested, attached is a plot of Gold vs DJIA over last 10 years - since 2011, price of gold is almost exactly where it was was. On the other hand, equities have tripled. Plot of 30 or 40 years looks roughly similar. That's a lot of appreciation to give up betting on a Black Swan event.

https://www.macrotrends.net/2608/gol...100-year-chart

Peter

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211031-120645_Chrome.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	247621
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 12:24   #56

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'

I’m with you.. I’ve collected 60K in gold and silver coins, along with 25K in ammunition, for hedge into the future. Bullets will also be a currency if all hell breaks loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory View Post
?? Why would anyone hold that much money in fiat?? 10% a year "holding fee" is pretty expensive....

You just trade it for what you need.... and looking up the value is pretty simple. If they can use gold flakes in VENEZUELLA during an economic collapse, I'm pretty sure I'll be fine with a nice silver coin heh.

I have most my metals as 1/4th ounce silver coins. That's worth about 6 dollars each at spot right now.

But I also have a variety of gold wire / jewelry (since it's my hobby / investing strategy, along with semi-precious stones). That means in each amulet is about 5-10 dollars worth of gold. And for the 14k gold pieces, it's more like 50-70 dollars worth of gold. The very worse case scenario at material prices, those things are always worth that much.

Yea, banks are pretty good and reliable... if you ignore all of history past 70 years ago....

They are very used to a world without crisis. Where everything works as it's supposed to...

But I know too much about our global economic system to feel so secure haha.

Yea, if you are speaking to a low level worker who just follows corporate guidelines, then of course they won't be able to handle any unusual situations.

They don't have permission to make any decisions related to business.....

Though in louisiana, utah, and texas gold and silver are recognized as legal tender. To be fair, not that many people will likely be cruising in Utah :P

That has no basis anywhere in the world at any point in recorded history.....

So I'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion?

Depends how big of a problem I guess? I can't imagine anything short of a complete destruction level event across the globe would cause that scenario though...

Even if the world faces a large economic downturn, trade will still happen and the internet will still be working and life will be carrying on.

Haha planning for these types of events people always seem to jump to the extreme of imagining a zombie apocalypse. Instead of just the much more boring loss of jobs and some businesses going under and prices rising with large consumer pullback while the value of what people have in their bank accounts keeps going down.

Heck, we are seeing it happening right now across the board as inflation is setting in. It isn't the end of the world...

I already have trouble with my US banks freezing my accounts randomly and forcing me to come into the local branch because they don't like the pitch of my voice.... I sure wouldn't trust that system fully for years of cruising trusting that I will always have access to the money they owe me.

Let alone the idea of just keeping a lot of cash just sitting there being eaten away by inflation. A little fiat is fine, but anything over what you may need in the next couple months is a overkill IMO.
Rubicon King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 12:27   #57

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

In 1980, the USD was falling in value regularly, I set sail for MEX & the Tahiti.
I took Travelers checks, 10% + commission on cashing!!, and lots of $20's and 2 gold coins.
To convert the gold KR's to cash, USD or Local $, I went to a coin collector in Acapulco and got 10% above spot. In Tahiti I got 20% above spot at a local pawn shop.

Your Mileage May Vary, but I still use gold coins as a hedge on inflation and Emergency cash.
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 12:32   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Cambodians paid their way out the country through KR guards with jewelry and sex. In some times and places it may work.

Not sure they would accept my currency if I offered sex.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 12:45   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
I too have been searched several times by USCG, also by the Mexican Navy (took about four hours), and many other countries. Nothing was ever found in any of these searches
I'm not sure I understand your point. Was nothing questionable found because there were no such items to find, or because you feel you outsmarted them with your clever hiding place. I was commenting on your earlier observation that "no one is going to come looking for it". You and I have both found that "someone" may well come looking.
Old 31-10-2021, 13:03   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo366 View Post
In 1980, the USD was falling in value regularly, I set sail for MEX & the Tahiti.
I took Travelers checks, 10% + commission on cashing!!, and lots of $20's and 2 gold coins.
To convert the gold KR's to cash, USD or Local $, I went to a coin collector in Acapulco and got 10% above spot. In Tahiti I got 20% above spot at a local pawn shop.

Your Mileage May Vary, but I still use gold coins as a hedge on inflation and Emergency cash.
Curious - any idea why someone would pay above market for a fungible commodity?

I remember the days of Travelers Checks. Despite the advertising that they were "good as cash," not everyone would accept them. I recall a shop owner in New Jersey forcefully suggesting AmEx could go ......well, you know.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising