Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2021, 08:35   #31

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II
Re: Silver + Gold stacking while cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory View Post

Before 1970 for the previous 40 years, the price of a pound of bread had only gone from 9 cents in 1930 to 25 cents in 1970.

The following 40 years (right after the switch away from a real money) we saw bread go from 25 cents in 1970 to 3 dollars in 2010.....
Today in 2021, I can buy a great French baguette for 20 pesos - $1. Back in the States, I can buy a store baked French or Italian bread (not too tasty, but fine for sandwiches) for $1.

What kind of cars were people driving in 1930? 1970? How many people were flying transcontinental or transoceanic for vacation in 1930? 1970?

The massive expansion of money supply since the world went off the gold standard has lead to the most incredible economic (and technological) change in human history. Just in 30+ years, 300-400 million Chinese have gone from poverty to an essentially middle class lifestyle. In 70 years Germany and Japan went from bombed out hulks to some of the most prosperous and economically successful nations on the planet. We as a species, are now so successful that we are changing the planet itself, with unknown effects.

Planning for different scenarios is healthy, diversification of investments (this includes boats and secluded rural properties) may be warranted. No enjoying life in the present by obsessing about end-of-the-world economic scenarios - which take away resources for the present - isn’t much of a way to live.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 08:52   #32

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

The USCG just busted a guy who had a false HULL with drugs sandwiched in between the real hull and the outer shell. They've seen it all. There is NO hidey-hole you or I can think up that will work! They've seen it all.
Old 31-10-2021, 08:55   #33

Boat: Island Packet 45
Send a message via Skype™ to basenay

In the early 80's met a South African cruiser who built his own boat during the 70's but was forbidden from leaving the country with much of anything. Later went out for a day sail but kept going and nearly a year later landed in the US. Dug his gold out of the keel and sold it. Price had gone from low 100's when he bought it and mid 600's when he sold it.(think he said his name was Elon something or other)

Keeping some gold or maybe silver plus USD ( $1 & $100) seems like at good idea if can find a truly great hiding place on board for lost wallet and credit cards, non-working ATMs or other emergencies. Obviously don't advertise it if you decide to do it & not more than can afford to lose. If decide to do gold, educate yourself on types available & their pluses & minuses & where to buy it.

The complete list of gold categories includes:
  • Gold Bars
  • Canadian Gold Coins
  • American Gold Eagles
  • American Gold Buffaloes
  • Australian Gold Coins
  • Chinese Gold Pandas
  • British Gold Coins
  • Austrian Gold Coins
  • Pre-1933 US Gold Coins
  • European Sovereign and Gold Coins
  • Rare and Vintage Gold
  • Gold Rounds
  • Gold Bullion Jewelry
  • Gold Collectibles
  • IRA Eligible Gold
  • Gram Gold

Good place to start.

https://www.topconsumerreviews.com/b...ed-reviews.php
basenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 09:09   #34

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Why suffer from the tyranny of OR when you can have the genius of AND! Yes, what everyone says about ATMs and Credit Cards is true to an extent, however this assumes that there is power. It also assumes that the fiat currencies retain value. Having said this, in the overwhelming majority of cases any lose of power is usually temporary.

Nonetheless, having a small stash wouldn't hurt. Given that gold has been trading between $1,700 and $1,900 US consistently over the past year or so, having 15 ounces, and some silver, wouldn't take up much room. You cold even glass it into the boat somewhere where it wouldn't be noticed yet would be easy to get in an emergency.

Here in NYC we lost power twice in the past twenty years. The second one lasted just under a week but by the third day people were getting pretty nervous. A society is nine meals from anarchy, and it wouldn't take much to create serious issues. As I said earlier, consider things in addition to gold and silver that can be traded. In the Army we used to say that it is better to have and not need than to need and not have.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 09:10   #35

First, thank you all for an enjoyable read over breakfast this morning (Ensenada - chllaquiles, a $10 meal at a very nice restaurant). A bit of a parlor game thinking through how I would pay in gold? In some places, paying in USD can result in a 20% haircut. Last time I exchanged dollars for pesos at a bank (Scotiabank), they tool 7% plus a commission.

Someone complete this conversation for me:

"La cuenta por favor. Pregunta. Cuanto es la cuenta en Krugerands?" I cannot imagine the haircut on that transaction even if it were possible.

As the saying goes, you don't have to outrun the bear, just outrun the other guy. Boats make a pretty good bug-our vehicle if that's what's important to you. Would probably put a wet blanket on an otherwise enjoyable cruising experience. Sounds like a no win to me - if something bad does happen, you have to hope you prepared properly - as Mike Tyson said "everyone has a plan until the get punched in the face." Or nothing happens and you've been living under a dark cloud.

Good luck.

Peter Click image for larger version

Name:	20211031_083842.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	247612
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 09:11   #36
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I really thought this thread was a joke thread. If I want to discuss real prepper fantasies, I'd rather stick with the various climate change threads. Have fun...
If Ivory wants to keep his money in gold, I am totally OK with that. At least he isn't shouting "climate change is a hoax", "we need to restrict voting rights", "Racism is fake news (and we to ban all history of it)", etc.

Investing in gold is a perfectly reasonable hedge against economic downturns. Keeping it all on his boat is risky, but at least he isn't harming anyone.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 09:31   #37

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Let me say my point. If things go south so much we don't have money worth nothing or transfers and ATM not working I'm not taking gold as payments of my services either. It's things I need like fuel or food..
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 10:31   #38

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory View Post
...So when things finally come to terms, you will see a massive crash we should have had in 2008. But because it didn't happen in 2008 and everything has only gotten more crazy since then, now the crash will be worse.

As in 90%+ drops in stocks, property, and so on. It's going to crush a lot of people in something not many people alive have experienced ((even though history has plenty of examples to tell us what it would be like))...
Ivory, You should think about where you will be standing if that crash happens as you predict.

If a crash happens like you predict, and money and cards are worthless, and a lot of people are crushed, where will you be?

You will be anchored within sight of hundreds, if not thousands, of desparate people. Your gold will be well known since you will have been spending it.

How many of those people sitting on the shore looking at you do you think will be wondering how they'd fare if they came out to take it away from you?

Maybe you will have some guns hidden away with that gold? So you can fight off the people who come for your gold. After the first gun fight the next one who comes will be better armed. That is if the local authorities, just as desparate and angry as everyone else, don't just come with a gunboat and arrest you and confiscate your boat and your hoard.

I personally think that joining in with the struggling community will be have a better outcome. There will be millions of people trying to work out a new way to have an economy and its hard for me to think they they are all gonna die while I remain rich and happy on my sailboat middle of the bay. No, I'm going to work with everyone else to get it sorted, peacefully and cooperatively. And being a positive and optimistic guy, I know it will work out.
Old 31-10-2021, 10:39   #39

Boat: Southerly 480

I'm surprised no one has mentioned bitcoin yet!

You have to declare more than $10k USD in cash or cash equivalents. I'm pretty sure customs folk will argue that gold/silver is cash equivalent.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 10:42   #40
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawlmer View Post
I don't know how wise it was to out yourself as having 20K worth of gold and silver aboard your boat. I know there is a certain degree of anonymity on these forums but it is not certain.
Many of you have 20k worth of new electronics screwed to the helm station of your boat and you love to talk about it. How wise is that?

How they use lines of gold dust as cash in Venezuela?
https://www.manilatimes.net/2021/02/...zuelans/840712
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 10:48   #41

I am rather disappointed that so many are limiting themselves in their thinking. We as a group often have many different systems on our boat for back up, yet now we are denigrating a vary viable option. It seems odd. I've always thought that having options are good, and the more options the better.
Old 31-10-2021, 10:50   #42

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Heaven forbid if it becomes well known and believed that cruisers usually carry substantial amounts of gold and silver.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 10:54   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
Heaven forbid if it becomes well known and believed that cruisers usually carry substantial amounts of gold and silver.
That is a fair concern, however I suspect that ne're-do-wells already know there is a reasonable amount of desirable items on a cruising boat. I hear about thefts from cruisers reasonably often and I think if things go south, those who are desperate will consider us as a good source of needed items regardless of whether or not we are known for our precious metals.
Old 31-10-2021, 11:04   #44

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
That is a fair concern, however I suspect that ne're-do-wells already know there is a reasonable amount of desirable items on a cruising boat. I hear about thefts from cruisers reasonably often and I think if things go south, those who are desperate will consider us as a good source of needed items regardless of whether or not we are known for our precious metals.
Sure, but used chartplotters sell on the black market for a few cents on the dollar. Gold - and firearms - sell at market value. Possible presence of firearms is already a major motivator for boat, vehicle, and house break-ins. Stir gold into that discussion.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 11:08   #45

Boat: KP 46

Be advised, most of the pirates I have run into while cruising have a patch that says "Douane" on their shoulder.

In my opinion (and travels) Large (or small) amounts of gold and silver should be treated like weapons. Not something I declare. I know, I will get lots of negative "Don't Do It!!" comments about not declaring weapons but it has worked well for me in two circumnavigations so not my advice, just my experience. If folks don't know you have it, (and it is not in an easy to find place), no one is going to come looking for it. Money is well spent designing and building places on your boat for such things.

FWIW, in my opinion stacking is a good thing.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising