Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2016, 11:00   #1
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Short hop across the Med..

Off to do a delivery tonight.. catching a train from Coimbra, Portugal to Gruissan, France.
A quick hop to NW Sicily.. looks like a quiet run weatherwise so looking at maybe 4 days at sea..
SPOT Shared Page

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:04   #2

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft
Re: Short hop across the Med..

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Off to do a delivery tonight.. catching a train from Coimbra, Portugal to Gruissan, France.
A quick hop to NW Sicily.. looks like a quiet run weatherwise so looking at maybe 4 days at sea..
SPOT Shared Page
Have a great time. The owner is in good hands. Fair winds.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 08:30   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Short hop across the Med..

Well job done.. one of my 'Smooth' deliveries..
Stephano the owner and I set of from Gruissan around 11am on the 9th Sept.. smooth sea's and light winds meant a lot of motor sailing to Bonifaccio at the bottom of Corsica where we stopped for some fuel and a bite to eat.
Lovely little place and loads of activity with 'Tripper Boats' and ferries coming and going and some ridiculously large yachts docking.. made for great entertainment while we ate at a waterside bar.
Headed out again after a few hours for a night passage through the Straits and managed to get a few hours under sail before the wind died again in the early hours..
Got some excitement as 3 waterspouts took form near us.. the closest starting about 200 metres from us.. dropped sails and motored to the N of the system quickly to clear them and the lightening.. a first for Stephano..
Anyway.. arrived San Vito del Capo around midnight of the 13th and anchored for the night before continuing on to Terrasini where I left the boat for the airport and the flight home.. job done..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 16-09-2016, 12:41   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Short hop across the Med..

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well job done.. one of my 'Smooth' deliveries..
Stephano the owner and I set of from Gruissan around 11am on the 9th Sept.. smooth sea's and light winds meant a lot of motor sailing to Bonifaccio at the bottom of Corsica where we stopped for some fuel and a bite to eat.
Lovely little place and loads of activity with 'Tripper Boats' and ferries coming and going and some ridiculously large yachts docking.. made for great entertainment while we ate at a waterside bar.
Headed out again after a few hours for a night passage through the Straits and managed to get a few hours under sail before the wind died again in the early hours..
Got some excitement as 3 waterspouts took form near us.. the closest starting about 200 metres from us.. dropped sails and motored to the N of the system quickly to clear them and the lightening.. a first for Stephano..
Anyway.. arrived San Vito del Capo around midnight of the 13th and anchored for the night before continuing on to Terrasini where I left the boat for the airport and the flight home.. job done..
Oh..!!!!
Forgot to mention..
It was a DuFour 425 Grande Large called YakiTori.. so anyone see her out there say Hello.. Stephano's an okay guy..

Old 16-09-2016, 13:26   #5

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Welcome home Captain, nicely done.

I like Dufour! A few year ago when the 40E just came out and took a sea trial with the new owner. The damn thing was fast. OR at least it was the fastest boat in the morning on the Bay (Annapolis) ......LOL
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 17:29   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

You not sailed yet..??
Should be sinking a Guiness in Derry by now..lol