Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2012, 04:56   #1
Armchair Bucketeer

pirate Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

As a continuation to INDY's (now closed) thread:-

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nth-40051.html

207 pages and 3094 posts and 230,000 page views......does IMO show that INDY struck a chord with his thread - I very much hope he "adopts" this one .

In addition to containing useful info - equally (more?) importantly a good illustration of the attitude needed to undertake the challenge of being a (low) Budgeteer .

Appreciate that some will want an easier reference source than ploughing through this (these?) threads - but part of the "secret" is being able to work stuff out for yourself and being able to modify and adjust the answers of others to suit own needs and wants - rather than requiring your answers to be spoonfed..........there are no one size fits all answers.

Maybe this time without the politics?! (on that, I too am not without sin )......hope springs enternal .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 05:04   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
As a continuation to INDY's (now closed) thread:-

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nth-40051.html

207 pages and 3094 posts and 230,000 page views......does IMO show that INDY struck a chord with his thread - I very much hope he "adopts" this one .

In addition to containing useful info - equally (more?) importantly a good illustration of the attitude needed to undertake the challenge of being a (low) Budgeteer .

Appreciate that some will want an easier reference source than ploughing through this (these?) threads - but part of the "secret" is being able to work stuff out for yourself and being able to modify and adjust the answers of others to suit own needs and wants - rather than requiring your answers to be spoonfed..........there are no one size fits all answers.

Maybe this time without the politics?! (on that, I too am not without sin )......hope springs enternal .
I just need to know up front is this YOUR thread DOJ or is it still Indy's reincarnated?
Old 25-03-2012, 05:31   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

well to get the thread started,as a few prople will remember last year i aquired a "free" yacht covered in this thread.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rew-59975.html

here are a couple of photos from last year,over the winter i accuired a kubota engine and gear box that i have rebuilt and will post some photos of that as well soon with a break down of costs.

the motor i got for just over $150 0n ebay!
more to follow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hina 007.jpg
Views:	3244
Size:	430.7 KB
ID:	39083   Click image for larger version

Name:	hina 076.jpg
Views:	3036
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	39084  

atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 06:21   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

motor and bits,so far it runs beautifully and is ready to go in.
cost so far.
motor on ebay £106
paint,rust treatment etc £20
engine mounts +couplings £190
hoses and 12v pump £35
oil and atf fluid £15
total £366 or $550,not bad for an engine that only has a few 100 hours on it.
i could have saved money by modifying the old coupling and cheaper engine mounts,but the season is upon us now and buying off the shelf was the faster option.
i have also put a deposit down on a nice 30 ft mast for $300,and found new stancions for $80 dollars.

just need the only tool not in the box "aroundtooit" tool.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2919.jpg
Views:	2306
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	39085   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2914.jpg
Views:	2295
Size:	442.8 KB
ID:	39086  

Name:	latest hina 029.jpg
Views:	2251
Size:	416.9 KB
ID:	39087   Click image for larger version

Name:	latest hina 030.jpg
Views:	2592
Size:	443.4 KB
ID:	39088  

Old 25-03-2012, 06:41   #5

Boat: Hudson Force 50

Perhaps this thread can be used not to describe theoretical ideas of how to sail cheap, but actual examples.

For example, I have wood masts on my ketch. They needed to be pulled, inspected and repaired. Joints were coming apart. Hardware needed to be replaced. the mast step also had to be completely replaced. The track had to be pulled. It was a nightmare. As I recall, the quote for my Hudson Force 50 was about 20,000 for repairs and I did not know how to do this.

My solution was to hire a guy to teach me how to do it. His cost to me was about 2,000.00. My cost for everything else, pulling masts, yard time, crane time and building a new mast step was about 5,000.00. Now that is a real savings and I learned much more about my boat in the one area where I had the greatest knowlege deficit.

All of the non-skilled labor was completed by my wife and I. When we had to cut and glue, I was shown how to do it and then I did with assitance. I was supervised and occasionally, I was told to do it over again. But the job was done well and I saved lots of money.

This is one way to be a frugal cruiser.
medicrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 06:56   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

If on a budget I find these preferable to anything with shoestrings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2111085.jpg
Views:	1837
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	39090  
Old 25-03-2012, 07:37   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
If on a budget I find these preferable to anything with shoestrings.
I will disagree with the flipflops. I think they are very poor VFM and as such they do not belong here. Even worse, wearing flipflops may lead to the shoestring sailor being taken for a middle class walking wallet on vacation, thus increasing the unwelcome cost and expense.

I would suggest proper light all-leather shoes. However, these again will immediately be interpreted as an upper class rentier walking wallet that may aggrevate the budget situation even more.

Really, no answer to this issue. Bare feet romantic, but you will get them worms sooner or better.

Eh, poor cruiser, why didn't you stay at home ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 07:49   #8
cruiser

Shoestring Sailors

what is shoestring sailor. one that would eat **** if he/she can get it for free. or take own food on boat for thre months cruising, becouse not to spend only single penny.
and then you are suprised why in foreign (even in your ovn) countries no one like to see you, let alone to do "business" with you.

if i ever come in situation to be "shoestring sailor" i would burn my bot and never set my foot on the beach again let alone in the boat.
lolarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 08:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolarose View Post
Shoestring Sailors

what is shoestring sailor. one that would eat **** if he/she can get it for free. or take own food on boat for thre months cruising, becouse not to spend only single penny.
and then you are suprised why in foreign (even in your ovn) countries no one like to see you, let alone to do "business" with you.

if i ever come in situation to be "shoestring sailor" i would burn my bot and never set my foot on the beach again let alone in the boat.
Well aren't you sweet.
Svdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 08:08   #10

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

My goodness The waters getting deep on this thread!! LOL now if your a Low Buget cruiser, you have to burn your Boat ?? Maybe we have it wrong but we have been cruising on a LOW buget for over 20 years!! sometimes we work a while but it's just a bump in the road till we get back to full time cruisein !! We probly could have been Rich and have all the trick stuff but we have been doing what all of the most of ya have been working and slaveing to be ABLE to do !! From our viewpoint we are way ahead of the game!! and we are still doing what some of you are still saving for !! Think about whats important in your life !!Ours is Cruising and Smileing,with a few friends and our family!! with just a LITTLE bit of money,but we do eat well LOL LOW Buck cruising for ever !!
Old 25-03-2012, 08:16   #11

Now, (somewhat more) seriously:

1. The shoe-string mind: a person will drag behind their former life-style.

2. The shoe-string boat: a quality one.

3. The shoe-string route: the narrow blue line between free anchorages and cheap supermarkets.

4. The shoe-string budget: (cold sweat down my spin;-) - a couple can sail a rtw on the budget of 7k a year (per couple). Boat value 20k - ready to go. Met people sailing and/or pottering for much less. Sailing IS inexpensive, cruising may or may not be.

Actual know-how:

Cooking onboard. Doing 90% of the maintenance and repairs in-house or in exchange towards other shoestringers. Not breaking things. No mobiles. Anchorages. Supermarkets. No kids.

Support from countless good people met along the route: PRICELESS.

Cheers,
b.
Old 25-03-2012, 08:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolarose View Post
Shoestring Sailors

Doh.

Barnakiel's shoestring advice, part II:

! Avoiding people with some attitudes !

This world is made up of all sorts of people. The shoe-string sailor will encounter much discouragement and some encouragement. They should avoid the naysayers and stick to the positive thinking diaspora.

PS Re 'eating ****' - see my earlier comment on dragging one's lifestyle behind.

PS2 Dear bold font poster: you will be surprised and lucky to get any food free. Apparently, no much contact with the shoestring reality there, huh?

;-)
b
Old 25-03-2012, 08:38   #13

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicrene View Post
Perhaps this thread can be used not to describe theoretical ideas of how to sail cheap, but actual examples.
For newbies without boats, the time to save the real money is in the buying. Every boatyard I've ever been around has at least a couple of "broken dreams" to be had, like Atoll's, for cheap or nothing. My own 25 ft vessel cost me $650 on ebay, and more like $1000 all up counting transportation. This complete boat has a running Yanmar, pressure water, new unused head, awlgrip, anchors, rodes, roller furler, the works, and more electronics than I'll ever look at. A sister "bot" sailed RTW, which is not my intention. In years past, I've lived and sailed on three 20's, a 30', and a couple more 24-26 ers. I know this is all the boat I actually need.

Sure, I'd like to have a boat in the 28-32' range, or better, a Lagoon 440, but my reality is I don't need it, and I don't want to pay the extra $ to maintain a larger boat. Plus, I'm thinking of a composting head, and foot pumped water, along with the new bimini modified to catch rain water for my several water tanks. I'm old. No carrying water jugs without a real emergency.

One man, one boat, one dog
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 08:44   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Doh.

Barnakiel's shoestring advice, part II:

! Avoiding people with some attitudes !

This world is made up of all sorts of people. The shoe-string sailor will encounter much discouragement and some encouragement. They should avoid the naysayers and stick to the positive thinking diaspora.

PS Re 'eating ****' - see my earlier comment on dragging one's lifestyle behind.

PS2 Dear bold font poster: you will be surprised and lucky to get any food free. Apparently, no much contact with the shoestring reality there, huh?

;-)

b
better get the matches out lolarose lol! a bit rich from a man that admits he lives on food stamps

from this thread one of your comments
Re: Delivery Skipper - St. Maarten to Ibiza

quote lolarose-----

i have that same amount of money in less than a couple of months sitting here in england,duing nothing living on benefits.
Old 25-03-2012, 09:18   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
better get the matches out lolarose lol! a bit rich from a man that admits he lives on food stamps

from this thread one of your comments
Re: Delivery Skipper - St. Maarten to Ibiza

quote lolarose-----

i have that same amount of money in less than a couple of months sitting here in england,duing nothing living on benefits.
yes,yes, i remember that one.. only i forgot to mention that i have house in dubrovnik with lemon and orange trees around and can jump from my balkony in the sea or walk down the road five minutes to the beach.

not to mention another one on the peljesac peninsula with wineyard(quite good anual income) and quite BIG plot of land. if that is in OUR dear uk it would be wort probably few million pounds.
and i am not on food stams. i am on jobseakers alowance (presently on sick note)
but do not you vorry, i will not use your tax payer money after this july. my daughter finishing year 11 this summer and she is goin to live with her mother in tampa, and i am leaving Uk, going back to adriatic sea summer...... tampa in "winter"

i hope i clear it for you

love
lolarose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget