Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2015, 20:28   #1246

Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

fish53, sorry to hear that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I agree with the headroom part however there is something to be said for the fact he already owns his current 23 ft boat. More important for now is a head that marinas will accept for him living aboard
I would expect he could use the facility's at the marina? Don't most marina's shower and restroom's available?
Having said that, I would imagine fish53 would be happier with a 27 ft and up as far as boat sizing goes.

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 20:53   #1247
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Yes most marinas do have shore side facilities however here in the Puget sound and the pnw. They have tankage requirements you have to have a minimum of 15 gallon holding per person in most liveaboard marinas here unless you have a composting head.that is what I was thinking of. But you are correct something in upper twenties to low thirties would be better for living aboard.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 22:09   #1248

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I just wanted to point out that the low point is $0 per month not $500 as ancient people like the eskimos and polynesians have proven long ago.

I have found my budget in rodrigues island was $55 per month for 3 months. In philippines my cost was about the same $50-$60 per month. Indonesia and malaysia slightly higher but still under $100 per month.

I met another cruiser in malaysia who explained to me that 20 years ago he was on about $1 per day, but now he is at $2-3 per day when we were joking about this $500 per month budget.

In more expensive countries, I lost a lot of money, like new zealand my budget was $250 per month. The value is also very low there as they charge a lot for something that isn't very good.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 22:50   #1249
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I just wanted to point out that the low point is $0 per month not $500 as ancient people like the eskimos and polynesians have proven long ago.

I have found my budget in rodrigues island was $55 per month for 3 months. In philippines my cost was about the same $50-$60 per month. Indonesia and malaysia slightly higher but still under $100 per month.

I met another cruiser in malaysia who explained to me that 20 years ago he was on about $1 per day, but now he is at $2-3 per day when we were joking about this $500 per month budget.

In more expensive countries, I lost a lot of money, like new zealand my budget was $250 per month. The value is also very low there as they charge a lot for something that isn't very good.
It seems that you have found some stuff we don't have please do tell how you do it?
Old 26-09-2015, 00:48   #1250

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
It seems that you have found some stuff we don't have please do tell how you do it?
Exactly - it's called dumpster diving.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 00:58   #1251

Quote:
I agree with the headroom part however there is something to be said for the fact he already owns his current 23 ft boat. More important for now is a head that marinas will accept for him living aboard
Actually my boat has full standing headroom (5'11") for me (5'10") and a head with holding tank, and pressure water system. I don't think two would want to live in it for long, though it does have a reasonably large double berth in the salon. It is however fairly comfortable for one. Some of the other savings come from things I can do myself such as step the mast single handed (I'm 62 but I ain't old yet). Twin keel so I can do things like clean the bottom or change a shaft zinc or propeller. And of course 23' saves at the dock or marina. A larger boat would be nice though and believe me it's something I think about when I see a boat I like (saw a nice Pearson P35 the other day for $5000).
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 01:40   #1252
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish53 View Post
Actually my boat has full standing headroom (5'11") for me (5'10") and a head with holding tank, and pressure water system. I don't think two would want to live in it for long, though it does have a reasonably large double berth in the salon. It is however fairly comfortable for one. Some of the other savings come from things I can do myself such as step the mast single handed (I'm 62 but I ain't old yet). Twin keel so I can do things like clean the bottom or change a shaft zinc or propeller. And of course 23' saves at the dock or marina. A larger boat would be nice though and believe me it's something I think about when I see a boat I like (saw a nice Pearson P35 the other day for $5000).
If you dont mind a plodder, the Westerly Centaur is a goody. Its 4 foot longer and heaps more space.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 03:09   #1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
If you dont mind a plodder, the Westerly Centaur is a goody. Its 4 foot longer and heaps more space.
Yes, I like the Centaur, plenty around too. I've also looked at a Dockrell 27 for sale locally, nice boat, a bit more room. But of course this is all dreaming right now, but it's fun to look, I just don't take the checkbook with me.
Old 26-09-2015, 03:58   #1254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force
The funny thing, for me, while reading your post; I read right past the champagne and caviar, but when I came to the beer and beans I felt the hunger pains and began salivating like Pavlov's dog! Yes, I can sit on my 43 year old "chlorox bottle" boat and thrill with beer and beans! Well said!

Sounds like living aboard is "ruff ruff."
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 06:23   #1255

Quote:
Actually my boat has full standing headroom (5'11") for me (5'10") and a head with holding tank, and pressure water system.
In that case, maybe you should just hold onto it? Sounds like it has everything you need, and as you pointed out, it will be much more affordable at the marina.

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 08:12   #1256

You're right, it's a good boat. I don't think it would be easy to find anything cheaper, plus it's paid for. Now if the unlikely happens and some wonderful woman finds me interesting I may need more room. Until then I'll be fine.
Old 26-09-2015, 08:15   #1257
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sounds like a good one for now then however in most marinas keep in mind that the minimum slip size at least here is usually 30 ft ( side tie is also an option). And as far as being older my dad is 91 and still lives aboard bought a42 ft Spencer for his 90th b day. On another front a 23 ft boat is quite small unless you are used to living in smaller homes/apartments. Keep us posted on how things are progressing for you
Old 26-09-2015, 08:39   #1258

I fished for forty years and had only my bunk for private space and not much beyond that unless you count the trawl deck. I've never stayed in a marina, I have moorings in a couple of harbors in Maine and moorings I can use in many others. I'm sure a mooring isn't for everyone, having to skiff in and out to go anywhere is something to get used to. But the privacy and quiet are nice, good fishing handy by, and a bit of a ride when the breeze is up, I'm calling those "rum days". When it gets chilly I have a woodstove and the only electric I use is a couple of LED cabin lights and a radio. I eat simple, oatmeal and coffee in the morning and bread and kippers for lunch, rum for dinner maybe with a salad.
Old 26-09-2015, 09:15   #1259
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You sound a lot like me. USN career just a rack as your own. The skiff ride is not anything to get used to it is a thing to enjoy at least till the weather gets up and you got 5 ft wind waves. Sounds like this will work great for you. All you need now is a solar panel to recharge batteries with. Next year head south until the weather fits your wardrobe.
Old 26-09-2015, 09:25   #1260

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
It seems to me that one of the key factors in living inexpensively comes back to the old adage: Location, location, location... The fact is, it is very hard to live inexpensively in typical first world/Western world locations. Costs of most things in market economies reflect what people are willing to pay, so prices will be higher in more affluent areas. If you want to live well on the proverbial $500/month rate then location must be part of the equation.

I've read that the Andaman Sea/Gulf of Thailand is an inviting place for cruisers. It is (apparently) an inexpensive place to live, but it is open and inviting to sailors. Is this your experience boat_alexandra? Please do tell us more.

Tags
budget