Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2012, 06:55   #121
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

This dink is plenty stable and can hold 3 in a pinch. It is on a 23 foot boat. I keep the oars down below. it cost me 200 USD in epoxy, marine plywood and paint. Plans are free on the internet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dingy.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	39337  
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 09:48   #122

Boat: a sailing boat

Re the LED lights - they may conserve the energy but they are not cheap! (Not cheap here, in Spain).

So, for the interior, I am stuck with quick fluorescent bulbs run via a small inverter - the bulbs cost me next to nothing and I get same or better lumens per Watt. Pita I cannot get them for 12V direct, much as I remember a German company (dekka, stekka, or something like this) introducing them some time ago!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 10:44   #123

Boat: Heritage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
In regards to $500 a month and eating. The number I feel is not out of reach for me as I am vegetarian. Also I don't drink (anymore) and that probably is equal to or more than most peoples food bill. Right now my food bill is under $200 a month and I want for little. When I go voyaging, I don't want to live like a troll but I won't be staying in Marina's or eating out all the time either. If I do splurge, it will probably be a social situation such as a cruiser beach pot luck.
Geez now your picking on Trolls! What did they ever do to you!!
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 10:56   #124

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka1 View Post
Geez now your picking on Trolls! What did they ever do to you!!
Hey!!!...I use to live in T.O.(Pape & Queen), so you should know the answer to that!...he he he
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 13:11   #125

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
Ok i would like to know but where you put the dink on a 30' boat? an inflatable is too wide for deck so I must find a place to half deflate, a row boat that fits is unstable in rough seas, I dont like the idea off towing. Ideas please
I store my inflatable dink in a cockpit locker, under the sails. Of course, it isn't a RIB, but it carries 3 medium-sized adults and takes a 2-hp outboard.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 14:23   #126
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
Ok i would like to know but where you put the dink on a 30' boat? an inflatable is too wide for deck so I must find a place to half deflate, a row boat that fits is unstable in rough seas, I dont like the idea off towing. Ideas please
Oh, and as a follow up to my last post.......

.....just to say that I am not intending to go all Guru on this thread - my reply was just to kick out a few ideas, which may or may not be practical for others. If they are helpful, then great - if not? well, it don't bother me .

I struggle to find my own answers, let alone anyone else's .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 14:41   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
In regards to $500 a month and eating. The number I feel is not out of reach for me as I am vegetarian.

What's the secret to keeping fresh vegetables fresh on long voyages?
TomM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 14:42   #128
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaToast View Post
Everybody Sing!

"and another thread bites the dust, yea
another one bites the dust..."

Atoll,
When ya can find a way to keep it about practical ways to cruise on $500/mo, try again.
lordy lordy!!! i go away for 4 days to help another cf member,i drive 1400 miles,i survey a boat................

meanwhile the thread has turned into how to get health care for under $500 dollars a month!

may be some of the medical proffesionals can comment on simple tips to keep your self healthy!

during roman times the slaves allways had the best teeth!

positive comments please!

negativity leads to depressions and death!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 15:01   #129

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
lordy lordy!!! i go away for 4 days to help another cf member,i drive 1400 miles,i survey a boat................

meanwhile the thread has turned into how to get health care for under $500 dollars a month!

positive comments please!

negativity leads to depressions and death!

I did it by turning 65. A hellava price to pay yet I am happy about it! I do think tho that positivity likewise leads to death.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 16:11   #130

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Number one health tip: smile.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 16:12   #131

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
I store my inflatable dink in a cockpit locker, under the sails. Of course, it isn't a RIB, but it carries 3 medium-sized adults and takes a 2-hp outboard.

Alain
Same and ant it a pain getting that floppy 30 kgs up then pumping it up and the worst is trying to get it in the water in a rolly anchorage and not drop the outboard ( yes i use a line but if I am by may self?)

Dave I know thats why I bought up my problem

NEWT love the idea but I would not know the first thing on how to and in AU it will be alot more than 200 if I had any idea I would go for the type that splits in two but again I cant buy one nor make one.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 16:33   #132

Boat: PETERSON 44
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3120198850.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	39360

Nests to 5'4" rows like a champ 3 bolts for assembly water tight compartments. 450 dollars in materials.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 16:58   #133

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
At $500 a month, the type of boat is important. Generally a monohull with one engine. Generally smaller to keep the fuel costs down too. A cat would work maybe, but that extra engine would eat more gas plus maintenance.

My fuel budget is about $40-$50 a month. Probably $60 a month this summer if gas / diesel prices keep going up. My boat gets about 2-1/2 hours per gallon at cruising speed. Note: No dinghy motor. Just oars / paddles.

Simple Boat systems, No radar, Big screen chartplotter, TV, etc. A low cost low power usage netbook (which are getting harder to find...), Depth sounder or two. I've the original heathkit depthsounder with Nixie tubes that the original owner installed on the boat and I added a newer LED unit a few years ago for if the heathkit stops working. No wind or speed needed.

When I needed new halyards a few years ago, I purchased a spool of 1/2 double braid on sale and made my own eye splices. Still have enough left over for an extra halyard or two.

I'd love a Engel fridge, but at $900 ish it blew the budget. The 120V fridge uses about twice the power in 24 hours, but is <$200 installed and has a fridge and small freezer.

My food and drink budget is $30-$35 a week. At that price point, most meats are off the table, maybe a pound of hamburger or pork.. The cat runs $50 a month for food and litter. He eats better then I do. But fresh vegies, pasta, yes rice and beans, spices, potato's, onions, garlic, peppers, etc. Some cheese.

When I needed a new mainsail cover, I traded boat work for a custom sailcover from a friend who had a canvas shop. Got a matching wheel cover too.

Internet of course is long range wifi. Most of the time, I can fine an open hot spot.

While I would love all chain rode, I have a rope / chain rode. partly because I would need a windlass too, which really blows the budget. I find that the rope rode actually works for me, as I can bring the rode back to the primary wench to raise the anchor.

This also puts me at the wheel / engine controls for when the winds are up. Much easier sailing off anchor that way too when singlehanding. My anchors are all old school. My newer bruce knockoff, a northhill and danford. A new fangled anchor would also blow the budget.

I've an old autohelm 3000 autopilot which I repaired for $10 in darlington transistors. Boat sun shades were made from canvas drop cloths. wind cloths were made from some old lowcost sunbrella. No dodger or bimini, not in the budget. Just wear the fowlies going to weather.. OK I'm weird as I hate looking through a dodger...

See I can stay on track...

Heathkit, darlington transistors, and earlier flip flops not intended for the feet. This is the 2nd time I've said "I'm impressd". As a kid, I couldn't afford Heathkits, it was Knightkits for me.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 16:58   #134

Boat: O'Day 28

Yep on Sabray's Chameleon. I built the earlier slightly smaller version. A wonderful boat and got some of my labor back when sold.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 17:49   #135

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM View Post
What's the secret to keeping fresh vegetables fresh on long voyages?
Just like dead animal really...refrigeraton. Meaning fresh veggies in the fridge part will keep 5 days. Frozen bagged indefinitely and then canned if you're hard up.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget