Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2014, 02:10   #1141

Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Two or three years ago I saw a nice large but not very clean ss marine stove, 3 burner kind with oven, by the dumpster in the marina. Apparently someone put a new one in and the installers just threw the old one out. I called my liveaboard friend to inquire if it had any value. He asked me to bring it to him asap. Few days later, after he cleaned it, put new burners in (the stove was CNG so he put in propane burners) and replaced the piezzo ignition (he had a unneeded spare lying around) he quickly sold it for $500 and we split the profit.

The amount of good stuff people throw away in the marinas is mind boggling. I am almost tempted to rent a storage space or a yard and make re-selling it a part time business. Or may be even a full time one.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 04:53   #1142

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

That was a great post Ryan. Thanks. And you're quite correct that the two very long earlier threads were not all hints and cool info. Some retired guy with a lot of time on his hands should probably edit all that stuff and produce a file literally worth its weight in gold.

Fortunately, we have many true and practical boat gurus onboard the internet. I suppose it's impolite to name posters but there are at least five or 6 outright brainiacs on here passing on their varied knowledge for free, a trimaraner who I hope is writing a book, and several others I've been reading for years that have moved on from CF.

As the value of money continues to erode, more of us will need to do some real thinking before reaching for that debit card.

On edit, I know of a certain baritone ukulele that is returning to the main saloon after a long period of being banished into the forepeak. Thanks for that tidbit.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 05:24   #1143

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
Last bit is just some random advice. Find room on the boat for a cheap instrument, anything will do. You're essentially locking yourself in a tiny room for much of the time, it's practically impossible to not get good at something you pick up and fiddle about with every couple of minutes. General rule of life there for ya.

There, I think I'm about done now.

-Ryan
Lots of good advise, thanks.

This part though, not just an instrument, but anything else, certain books, taking up new skills, learn a language, one could learn just about anything if they're determined enough.

I do have an instrument I've been thinking of putting on the boat. Maybe it'll get me to start learning more of it.

~Dan
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 06:22   #1144

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Ryan and Sailorchic sound like a match made in heaven!!
Old 25-09-2014, 07:01   #1145

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Ryan. Thanks for bringing the thread back with some very practical advice
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 07:03   #1146

Boat: Com Pac 27

Thanks Ryan!!

Dennis

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DsquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 08:11   #1147

Boat: '83 Endeavour 40

Island Time said:
"The amount of good stuff people throw away in the marinas is mind boggling. I am almost tempted to rent a storage space or a yard and make re-selling it a part time business. Or may be even a full time one. "

+1.

When we bought our new-to-us boat this spring three of the ports were missing the little screw knobs that you secure them with. Two weeks later in the marina Dumpster I was able to scavenge the EXACT parts I needed. Somebody had apparently replaced their ports, and the old throw-aways were ripe for the picking. I even had the presence of mind to grab a few extra pieces in case the need arises in the future.
Old 25-09-2014, 15:39   #1148

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Ryan and Sailorchic sound like a match made in heaven!!
I have just elevated ryanh to the level of sailorchic34. Well, not quite. Ultimately, I would rather be stranded on a deserted island with sailorchic than ryan...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 15:44   #1149

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
The amount of good stuff people throw away in the marinas is mind boggling
We were in Nassau Yacht Haven for a few days. I stopped at the dumpster to drop off a bag of trash and found a set of Explorer charts. They were newer than mine.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 15:54   #1150

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle

[QUOTE

The amount of good stuff people throw away in the marinas is mind boggling. I am almost tempted to rent a storage space or a yard and make re-selling it a part time business. Or may be even a full time one. [/QUOTE]

+1 NEVER pass a marina or boatyard dumpster without looking in it! I have found many amazing discards in perfectly good condition. When dockbound, I always make it a practice to go for a walk through the more upscale marinas for a "dumpster check" on sunday evenings after all the weekenders have gone home.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 20:50   #1151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormantx View Post
[QUOTE

The amount of good stuff people throw away in the marinas is mind boggling. I am almost tempted to rent a storage space or a yard and make re-selling it a part time business. Or may be even a full time one.
+1 NEVER pass a marina or boatyard dumpster without looking in it! I have found many amazing discards in perfectly good condition. When dockbound, I always make it a practice to go for a walk through the more upscale marinas for a "dumpster check" on sunday evenings after all the weekenders have gone home.[/QUOTE]

SC recently mentioned she shops at "upscale second hand stores." In Oakland! That's hardcore.
Old 26-09-2014, 04:18   #1152

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Ultimately, I would rather be stranded on a deserted island with sailorchic than ryan...
Me too. :-)

Glad to hear my post might have gotten a few instruments out of storage. Feel free to sail up to the Boston area anytime for a jam session, I won't have much else to do beside keep warm soon anyway. Actually, a cruisers forum meet up and jam session sounds like it could be fun to try someday.

Thanks all,
Ryan

Sent from my SGPT12 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 19:14   #1153

Your sail is probably Dacron. If so it is made from Polyester. It is also filled with some type of clay that is pressed into the weave. The clay makes a new sail very stiff. You would be advised to sew it with polyester and you can buy that already waxed in different gauges or sizes. I sewed every seam on my main and my jib one nice sunny week in Guatemala. Generally if you have the patience you can follow the original seams and it sews a lot easier. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 08:29   #1154

Probably why I wouldn't like to cruise on a budget, in the UK that can be theft and I kid you not, below is an extract from an article in which a person was prosecuted for taking food from a supermarket dumpster.

"the law in England and Wales: "A person commits theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it."

Just because someone throws something away, does not mean they don't own it. So if it can be proven that the property that was thrown away had a rightful owner, it would be illegal to take it."
Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 08:49   #1155

Speaking of shoestrings, there is a newish 2nd hand boat stuff store, Anchors Aweigh, in Beaufort, NC. It's on the maindrag, a couple of miles from the anchorages. Chock full of interesting stuff. On the way to the grocery stores.

Tags
budget