Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2014, 11:24   #1126

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I tend to buy them as I go..
tho' I did get gifted a lovely hand made collection for most of the Caribe.. she used to knock them up as they went along from a bag of offcuts.. but they'd done the 'Atlantic Circle' for two years and it was time to head home.. settle down and do the babies, family thing..
But... as you've flogged the missus.. yer booga'd..
I've been booga'd my whole life. I live booga'd I sleep booga'd and now I'm sailing booga'd. I think it's a family tradition

P.S. Where can I find a British dictionary online? I have to look up booga'd
Old 11-09-2014, 11:46   #1127

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
I've been booga'd my whole life. I live booga'd I sleep booga'd and now I'm sailing booga'd. I think it's a family tradition

P.S. Where can I find a British dictionary online? I have to look up booga'd
I think it has something to do related to this:

Old 11-09-2014, 14:04   #1128
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Wot!?

Wide Open Throttle, what else could it mean
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 15:00   #1129
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I think it has something to do related to this:

Or: You are attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 15:23   #1130

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

You watch Big Bang theory
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 15:50   #1131
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I LOVE this forum! Makes me laugh when I really need it.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 17:07   #1132
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
I sold my kids and wife so I could go sailing.
If it flies, floats or fornicates it's better to rent it...

If it lives in your house, eats all your food, contributes nothing, looks scary and shows up in inconvenient places at inconvenient times it is probably a rodent and you need an exterminator...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 19:38   #1133

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
If it lives in your house, eats all your food, contributes nothing, looks scary and shows up in inconvenient places at inconvenient times it is probably a rodent and you need an exterminator...
Or an adult child still living with you...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 19:53   #1134

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Either way - same solution?
Sondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:29   #1135
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondor View Post
Either way - same solution?
Nothing gets by you guys -

And I there I was being subtle...
Old 12-09-2014, 07:45   #1136

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Wide Open Throttle, what else could it mean

How do you guys sail this way. It's Crazy I tell ya Crazy! slow down!
Old 12-09-2014, 07:47   #1137

Rent one in every port or just rent one and stow it aboard in the hanging locker?
Old 24-09-2014, 20:01   #1138

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

Not to interrupt a good thread drift but I was asked to repost a bit of information as it relates to the original topic. I've sort of steered clear of this thread as anything with over 1,000 posts should have already figured most of the topic out and if not than it would prolly be so full as to make finding the info near impossible to anyone looking for a quick answer (ie. Anyone looking for anything on the internet).....Well here goes any way... Sorry if the tone comes off a bit preachy, most of it was originally addressed to a fairly new person to sailing.

Get solar. As much as you can afford/fit. It's the best investment you can make in a liveaboard. I have Kerosene lamps too, but you need something to run your running and anchor lights from, and you'll use as much gas charging batteries in a month as you'll spend on solar in 20 years. Cheapest I've ever found is on Amazon, 160watt 12v panel for about 160$ including cables and PWM, last time I checked.

On that note, if you manage to get decent solar and a few batteries (cheapest Ive found is either Costco/Sams club 6v golf cart or DC29 everstarts from Walmart) you can do what I did on my Grampian, insulate the ice box for about 20$ to 40$ of ridged foam and a liner of shiney metallic bubble insulation car windshield screen cut to size, get your hands on a dorm fridge off Craig's list for next to nothing, cut out all the guts as a single sealed unit and install it all in the box with the compressor on a simple swing in the hatch next to it. Run the whole thing on an inexpensive invertor (I recommend harbor freight) for another 30$ and you've got yourself real creature comforts for next to nothing.

For Navigation, get your hands on a Kyocera Hydro from boost for about 20$. It's waterproof and has a good GPS chip inside. You don't even have to activate the phone, go someplace with free Wi-Fi access, and download Marine Navigator. The free version works okay, but the 10$ version includes automatic map switching and a bunch of other really useful things, it's worth it. You can also get several free anchor alarms, a good tide app, as well as weather grib apps provided you occasionally get to a Wi-Fi spot to download new grib files . As a final touch, a suction cup holder cost about 8$ from target and holds well to fiberglass... Full waterproof nav setup for around 30$. Can't beat that.

While we're on the subject of simple and cheap, you can buy all sorts of water proof/all weather resistant 12volt lighting fixtures from Lowes and home depot for between 9$ and 20$.

Most automotive stores (seen them in walmart recently too) now sell LED bulbs to fit wedge and single contact bayonet style bulbs for between 5$ and 15$ in either the cool white or warm light option. You could also go with automotive stick on led strips for around 20$, but you'd be stuck with cool white/nifty colors and the lifetime of the LEDs are typically poor.

As another note, go to your local savers/goodwill/salvation army and look for small alcohaul stoves for whatever reason these things have been turning up regularly around here. I've got three now. They can run off either grain(liquor store), methyl (yellow bottles of Heet used for cars during winter), or wood alcohaul (found at Lowes or Home Depot). A 35$ solar vent with internal battery and switch from Amazon above the cook space does wonders for ventilation.

For decent water and holding tanks, the best rout I've found is to source HDPE sheets, usually some digging will reveal a local supplier. You can form tanks with nothing but a soldiering iron but it takes forever and you'll have to be excruciating thorough. A better bet is to spend the 40$ and get a plastic welder from harbor freight. If you're really on a tight budget source your tanks from old campers. My water tankage came from a huge tank out of a late 70's 26' camper, recut into several smaller tanks through the boat. It came with a jabsco on demand 12v water pump, extra fittings to run a dock hose direct for a pressurized system and was all free.

There are about a hundred good possible uses for a nicopress style swagger on a boat, the whole rig can be built from one if the loads are acceptably low enough for stainless or galvi line under 1/4", also jib pendants, lifelines, jury rigs, etc. You can pick one up from Lowes for 18$. Usually there's a pile of them near where they sell chain, although most of the employees don't know what they are for. If you look online thoroughly you'll eventually find acceptable tolerance sizes and can adjust the tool easily. No go gauges work too but I prefer more exacting measurements with a pair of calipers.

Watch Craigslist like a hawk and know the measurements of your boat cold. I have two mainsails and five different jibs for my boat, all in good shape for a total cost of less than 400$. I got a nearly new West Marine VHF500 for about 30$ plus I got to meet and talk with a former sailor with 60 years of boating stories.and experiences from the area I sail in. My outboard was practically free and I got to go on a car ride to visit Newport.

Marine junk yards.... are amazing. Meet the guys working the yard. Don't make a mess or break anything, pick for yourself, and be as damn charming as you can be while you negotiate prices. Most things will start costing about 1/2 what you'll pay anywhere else, build a relationship with the people there and most thingsll end up being between 5$ to 50$.

There's a simple formula for determining if you can use a permanent magnet motor (most often found in treadmills these days ) as either a drag or wind turbine. Divide the voltage of the motor (higher is better) into the RPM of the motor (lower is better) this gives you the required rpm count per volt. You want the rpm count to stay as low as possible to achieve 14 volts. I like to see an RPM / volt ratio of less than 300RPM to 14v, or 6 rotations per second. Add either a long braided line to a length of PVC pipe attached to a prop for a drag turbine, or learn the physics of rotor to tip speed ratios and build your own turbine blades from PVC. Either way add a blocking diode. For wide turbine, learn how to shunt power to a resource load(ie, hot water element after the batteries are full).

Keep a lost of what you need/want and never stop researching, gathering knowledge and understanding people opinions on the task at hand. More importantly, always try to keep the difference between knowledge and people's opinions straight in your head. Usually knowledge is about a way to do something, and a persons opinion is usually a way/reason to NOT do something. They both sound similar when people are talking but it's an important difference.

That's my take on things. Good luck to you.

-Ryan

Sent from my SGPT12 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 20:40   #1139

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

Things I already forgot to add:

Canvas drop cloth can be fashioned into anything with a bit of UV resistant thread and a grommet tool. It can be dyed or even safely painted provided you don't slop too much on and make it too stiff. If you come into some money down the road you'll have built some good experience and have a cheap pattern that you know will work before you buy any expensive material. Usual cost for a drop canvas anything from boom tent to wind scoop to sail cover, under 30$.

Insulating the Hull with 1" close cell foam cuts the cost to heat/cool a boat by as much as half. My electric bill through last winter in Boston in a wet slip was less than 300$ for the whole season. Granted I insulated under the boom tent and used about 50$ in propane on the really cold nights and when we lost power in a few winter storms, but there was a major improvement after I insulated everything.

Almost all android phones can be tethered to either a tablet or bluetooth capable computer via a bluetooth connection. There are several aps that do this. Also note worthy, at the moment only Hulu + will stream from a Bluetooth connection, but it works pretty damn good.

Another idea for distance cruisers. The Kindle keyboard v3 had a version with free 3G. It included a basic web browser hidden in a sub menu setting. It doesn't work with flash and it is very slow but it's free internet for the life of the device and its compatible world wide. The free 3G version has a global 3G card physically built into the device. In theory a really smart person might find a way to install the card into a device with a better processor and more advanced software.... but that person won't be me. :-P

Last bit is just some random advice. Find room on the boat for a cheap instrument, anything will do. You're essentially locking yourself in a tiny room for much of the time, it's practically impossible to not get good at something you pick up and fiddle about with every couple of minutes. General rule of life there for ya.

There, I think I'm about done now.

-Ryan

Sent from my SGPT12 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 21:52   #1140
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Great posts Ryan! Lots of practical advice!

Tags
budget