Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 13:00   #1006
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
Dear lost boy

sant carles marina is where yachts go to die,during the winter,this febuary i had the misfortune of spending 2 weeks there............as i said before the high spot of the town is the lidl supermarket!

the basic premise that MDL marinas UK sold berths there was its proximity to the portsmouth-bilbao ferry so the burberry brigade whilst avoiding tax in the uk,could park their "boats that never move"...holiday apartments there.

the bar you see in the video,if it ever had more than 2 people in it was occupied by, the type of socially mobile types that i try my best to avoid.....boorish brit comes to mind.

benidorm by the sea......if that is your cuppa.
Ssssh......

(I have apartment in Mallorca.)

There are nice tapas bars in the town........

As you well know, mooring in Mallorca is mucho expensivo....... I dont mind commuting....... I can be in Sant Carles, hop over to Mallorca..... go round the bays and overnight on the anchor, if the weather is good..... prob get week or two out of it.... go back.... be anti social and do it all over again.....Or I can just fly to the Island on my cheap ticket and stay for a while, but sans boat.

Its something Im working on.........

The other choice that came up last week was mooring in Bilbao..... bit cold though.

My Menorca deal fell through.. contact got a touch of the greeds.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 13:09   #1007
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

if you park the boat at st carles you will need a car,at least 185 km to the nearest airport,and bus service non existant.

gotta look at all the options
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 13:33   #1008
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Weavis.. if you want a full time live-aboard life in that area you gotta do what the smart ones do.. that's just spend the 6 winter months in a marina.. April you head for the Islands.. W. Ibiza and E. Mallorca are where the anchorages are.. use them.. only down side is the charter dildo's every afternoon racing in around 3pm for a racing stop, pile in the dinghy and head for the bars..
If you want to spend time in Palma don't go into the marina's.. Med moor on the esplanade.. they have water and elec and reasonable security.. also its easy enough to set things up so folk can't just step on the boat.. come end of September as the Tramontana's start howling down one heads S down to the marina's like Agua Dulce or even cheaper like Almerimar..
the Lagoon 440 I just delivered there got a 18euro/night deal inc water and elec.. a 380 was 15euro/night..
Don't shop front line.. eat out 3rd or 4th line.. buy your wine from the old fashioned bodega's where it comes outa a barrel at a fraction of the cost/litre.. and.. is as good as anything in a bottle up to 10euro a bottle...
In Almerimar I never bought a meal.. just went to my favourite Spanish bar.. sanks a coupla 3 'Tubo's' and the free Tapa filled me up nicely... the secret is spend 6 winter mths in Andalucian marinas..
Also.. its a lot warmer than Barcelona.. lived that life for 4yrs in the 90's.. loved it.. another bonus.. Gib's only 30hrs away for those little luxuries and duty free stock ups..
But.. if you want to sit outside cafe's on the Rambla's... expect a nosebleed...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 13:37   #1009
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
if you park the boat at st carles you will need a car,at least 185 km to the nearest airport,and bus service non existant.

gotta look at all the options
Reus is a little closer. 58 mins. Train station is about 20 miles away from Sant Carles. and a bus to it. I also will have transport if I push the button on this place.

If I left the town, Im gone for days or weeks

everything you say is accurate about what it is. I have not spent time there as you have, but dont mind sleepy and dont mind boring for a while. Its wont be forever and it wont be a lifetimes commitment..... Heck Boatie might even get a neighbour.

Trouble is, Im not keen on the British sailing weather or scenery. It SO Beautiful on a sunny day, but the next one is August 20th .....

Thanks again for reminding me though. There is only so much appeal in Lidl's.
Old 03-05-2014, 13:48   #1010
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Weavis.. if you want a full time live-aboard life in that area you gotta do what the smart ones do.. that's just spend the 6 winter months in a marina.. April you head for the Islands.. W. Ibiza and E. Mallorca are where the anchorages are.. use them.. only down side is the charter dildo's every afternoon racing in around 3pm for a racing stop, pile in the dinghy and head for the bars..
If you want to spend time in Palma don't go into the marina's.. Med moor on the esplanade.. they have water and elec and reasonable security.. also its easy enough to set things up so folk can't just step on the boat.. come end of September as the Tramontana's start howling down one heads S down to the marina's like Agua Dulce or even cheaper like Almerimar..
the Lagoon 440 I just delivered there got a 18euro/night deal inc water and elec.. a 380 was 15euro/night..
Don't shop front line.. eat out 3rd or 4th line.. buy your wine from the old fashioned bodega's where it comes outa a barrel at a fraction of the cost/litre.. and.. is as good as anything in a bottle up to 10euro a bottle...
In Almerimar I never bought a meal.. just went to my favourite Spanish bar.. sanks a coupla 3 'Tubo's' and the free Tapa filled me up nicely... the secret is spend 6 winter mths in Andalucian marinas..
Also.. its a lot warmer than Barcelona.. lived that life for 4yrs in the 90's.. loved it.. another bonus.. Gib's only 30hrs away for those little luxuries and duty free stock ups..
But.. if you want to sit outside cafe's on the Rambla's... expect a nosebleed...
Yup.. and yup.

I do the tapas thing most of the time. I love it all so no worries and 5 beers in the places I go is 6Euros and loads of food.

I have looked at other marinas and just looked at my notes on Almerimar and the price I have is a lot more expensive. Maybe I need to just call them up............. buggers.

I did not know about mooring on the esplanade.. Been there regularly on and off 30 frickin years and never knew! But then I never checked either

Ive been caught once or twice with nasties on the east side in summer. sat on the anchor all night and becoming religious. But you are so right, everyone is doing it.

Ill write you later and pick your brains on this a little........ I need to ask about boat registration and stuph!!

You n' the atoll rock........ well wobble just a tiny bit.
Old 03-05-2014, 13:56   #1011
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Reus is a little closer. 58 mins. Train station is about 20 miles away from Sant Carles. and a bus to it. I also will have transport if I push the button on this place.

If I left the town, Im gone for days or weeks

everything you say is accurate about what it is. I have not spent time there as you have, but dont mind sleepy and dont mind boring for a while. Its wont be forever and it wont be a lifetimes commitment..... Heck Boatie might even get a neighbour.

Trouble is, Im not keen on the British sailing weather or scenery. It SO Beautiful on a sunny day, but the next one is August 20th .....

Thanks again for reminding me though. There is only so much appeal in Lidl's.
personally i would look at agadir marina in morroco,and spend inbetween time cruising the canary islands,good connections with europe,and much better sailing and destinations.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 14:26   #1012
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
personally i would look at agadir marina in morroco,and spend inbetween time cruising the canary islands,good connections with europe,and much better sailing and destinations.
I gotta do some clinic work but have the maps out and looking at the marina you suggested.
Later Awl.
Old 04-05-2014, 21:10   #1013

Boat: Morgan Out Island 33

I would like to start my sailing life, could you share how you got started, and if you could do it all over again, what you'd do different?
firemankennyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 14:42   #1014

Boat: csy 37

Go to the profile for 'sailorchic34' or just click on her picture in one of her posts.

Click on all of her posts and read them. Two or three times.

You will then know more about living 'economically' on a boat than 99.9 percent of everyone on this forum - including me.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 19:49   #1015

Boat: O'Day 28

Substitute "manly varnished teak" every time ya read "pink" though. Jes sayin'.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:40   #1016
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Substitute "manly varnished teak" every time ya read "pink" though. Jes sayin'.
LOL.......

[>= PiaggioAvionicssAtSeRvIcECellular<=]
Old 10-05-2014, 02:29   #1017

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Go to the profile for 'sailorchic34' or just click on her picture in one of her posts.

Click on all of her posts and read them. Two or three times.

You will then know more about living 'economically' on a boat than 99.9 percent of everyone on this forum - including me.
My fav SC post was the one where she was itemizing some expenses and she ended with "Geez, what do other people spend their money on?", or words to that effect. Waste not, want not.

Got to admire folks genuinely comfortable in their own skin.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:47   #1018

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Here's a few from the past.
1.0 Leave with a boat that is relatively safe and ready. You can fix things and upgrade on the way but make them small projects.
2.0 Talk to the locals. This is where you find out where the local market is, who's the best welder, where are the cheapest parts and supplies etc...
3.0 set a budget ahead of time and stick to it. enough said here.
4.0 Do little odd jobs when you can so you can replenish the kitty or add to the maintenance fund.
5.0 Use public transportation. You can go dang near everywhere in Europe by train and it's reasonable.
6.0 Get your licenses before you leave. Radio, Vessel, etc... It's cheaper here with a job then in Europe all of a sudden.
7.0 Multiple Strong and over sized anchors and Ground tackle. You want to know when you set the anchor your staying there in that spot. Because your Gunk holing everywhere you can.
8.0 Download your charts from known good source across the street from the internet cafe. Stay out of the cafe but you can use their internet.
9.0 remember in countries you cruise to their are two prices and always be ready to negotiate and barter. That piece of junk you have taking up space is worth something to some one. And never pay full price if you don't have to. In some countries if you don't barter your considered weak and foolish.
10.0 after you have saved all the money you can this way, Grab your back pack and take daily excursions, enjoy the country your in, go by foot and if your on a ball take a train to some where off the beaton path. Stay out of the tourist traps.
Well that's my take on this thread so far. And it only took three threads and a thousands posts to learn it..

conyplex contest 33
Old 10-05-2014, 06:16   #1019
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Here's a few from the past.
1.0 Leave with a boat that is relatively safe and ready. You can fix things and upgrade on the way but make them small projects.
2.0 Talk to the locals. This is where you find out where the local market is, who's the best welder, where are the cheapest parts and supplies etc...
3.0 set a budget ahead of time and stick to it. enough said here.
4.0 Do little odd jobs when you can so you can replenish the kitty or add to the maintenance fund.
5.0 Use public transportation. You can go dang near everywhere in Europe by train and it's reasonable.
6.0 Get your licenses before you leave. Radio, Vessel, etc... It's cheaper here with a job then in Europe all of a sudden.
7.0 Multiple Strong and over sized anchors and Ground tackle. You want to know when you set the anchor your staying there in that spot. Because your Gunk holing everywhere you can.
8.0 Download your charts from known good source across the street from the internet cafe. Stay out of the cafe but you can use their internet.
9.0 remember in countries you cruise to their are two prices and always be ready to negotiate and barter. That piece of junk you have taking up space is worth something to some one. And never pay full price if you don't have to. In some countries if you don't barter your considered weak and foolish.
10.0 after you have saved all the money you can this way, Grab your back pack and take daily excursions, enjoy the country your in, go by foot and if your on a ball take a train to some where off the beaton path. Stay out of the tourist traps.
Well that's my take on this thread so far. And it only took three threads and a thousands posts to learn it..

conyplex contest 33
+A1... and look like your enjoying life.. a smile is worth a 1000 words..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:17   #1020

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I hear marrying a 20 something trophy wife can get you to $20k a month easy. Possibly much higher.... Its what ever makes you happy.
Can get you 29k a month or cost you20k a month? There goes your budget.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget