Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2020, 07:26   #16

Boat: Tartan 3700
Re: Shipping a Boat to the Caribbean?

Thank you all very much for your valuable input. I have reached out to Peters & May and to Seven-Star for info. (I now recall the the Around the Island Race in Antigua Race week is sponsered by Perters & May and bares its name.)

Regards,
Ron
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 16:10   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
Does anyone know what company or companies ship boats from the NE USA to the Caribbean? Thank you for your response.
While I appreciate that you're talking having the boat shipped on a larger boat. this really more of a job for a delivery skipper plus one mate. This should be about half what the freight company charges and they'll park the boat in it's final destination - not some commercial harbor where you have to meet the boat when it arrives. Aruba's fairly far south - any reason the USVI wouldn't work? It would make a lot more sense due to the current Covid problems that could be involved with the ABC's - which are Dutch territories.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 17:40   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
While I appreciate that you're talking having the boat shipped on a larger boat. this really more of a job for a delivery skipper plus one mate. This should be about half what the freight company charges and they'll park the boat in it's final destination - not some commercial harbor where you have to meet the boat when it arrives. Aruba's fairly far south - any reason the USVI wouldn't work? It would make a lot more sense due to the current Covid problems that could be involved with the ABC's - which are Dutch territories.
My friend just feels that the boat is really not an offshore vessel for such a long trip. Where as sailing from island to island, one never goes more than about 100 miles, so picking ones weather is easier. Even the eventual trip back to the USA doesn't entail hops of more than 100 miles or so. He is a very experienced offshore sailor with trips to the Caribbean and 15 Newport-Bermuda races under his belt. I know that Peters & May go to Antigua from Newport, which would suit him just fine. I'm asking for pricing from them.
Old 17-10-2020, 18:10   #19

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
My friend just feels that the boat is really not an offshore vessel for such a long trip. Where as sailing from island to island, one never goes more than about 100 miles, so picking ones weather is easier. Even the eventual trip back to the USA doesn't entail hops of more than 100 miles or so. He is a very experienced offshore sailor with trips to the Caribbean and 15 Newport-Bermuda races under his belt. I know that Peters & May go to Antigua from Newport, which would suit him just fine. I'm asking for pricing from them.
Tartan 37? Take it anywhere. Lots of crappy boats out there but thatís not one of them.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 18:15   #20

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

There are shippers we see handling yachts in the eastern Caribbean. LeMarin, Martinique and Antigua.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 18:43   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Tartan 37? Take it anywhere. Lots of crappy boats out there but thatís not one of them.
It is not for me. I'd take may Tartan 3700 just about anywhere. This is for a friend with a 30 foot cat boat.
Old 18-10-2020, 01:14   #22

How wide is the cat? There maybe an option of deck cargo. Contact a general shipping agent. Be prepared with dimensions, weights, value etc.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 02:23   #23

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Get in touch with Peters&May in Southampton, United Kingdom. They have the connections to find solutions to this.

https://www.petersandmay.com/en/

Uups, just saw someone mentioned them already.
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 05:15   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Get in touch with Peters&May in Southampton, United Kingdom. They have the connections to find solutions to this.

https://www.petersandmay.com/en/

Uups, just saw someone mentioned them already.
The funny thing is while asking for help, I didn't realized that I was wearing a Peters & May tee shirt given to me in 2019 after being in the Peters & Mary Round the Island Race as the 1st race of Antigua Race Week. I should have just looked in the mirror!
Old 18-10-2020, 05:42   #25

Quote:
The funny thing is while asking for help, I didn't realized that I was wearing a Peters & May tee shirt given to me in 2019 after being in the Peters & Mary Round the Island Race as the 1st race of Antigua Race Week. I should have just looked in the mirror!

P&M need a new PR man, their advertising is not working.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Caribbean, rib, shipping