Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2018, 04:36   #16
cruiser

Re: September Atlantic Crossing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I thought about this a little today as I drove and was wondering why you want to skip going to the British Isles? No judgement, but you have spent many years in the Med and it would seem to be a shame to pass by a chance to sail the Irish Sea, the Outer Hebrides, etc. And also the Atlantic Coast of France, Spain, and Portugal.

I'd love to get back to the Med, but equally want to cruise the above areas along with the Faroes, Norway, and Sweden.
We started out in the UK back in 2012 and also toured the Baltic countries via cruise ship.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 14:17   #17

August Newfound Land to the Azores.
In August from New Found Land. I might head for the Uk Cape Race to the Lizard. 1600 miles. Give or take. I would even consider a Northern route with a stop in Iceland. Possible even Greenland if weather looked good.
If its not where you want to go. The Azores should be Nice. Id be a lot less concerned about the weather in August than in September. Have a good trip.

Almost everyone else is saying it will be no problem. Have any of them ever crossed the N Atlantic at this time of year. You asked if anyone had crossed at the this time of year. I have. I'm not saying don't go. I am just saying the weather can still be nasty, Be aware. Be prepared. There is a risk of some severe weather. I have given you some ideas of what to look for. hopefully they are helpful.

Read up on TRS. JIK my guess you should be North of any actual TRS track I would expect in August particularly early August they will be less likely to recurve offshore but it can happen. By the tie anything gets up there it will have become a N Atlantic Depression. Most of which will be pushed North passing N Scotland.

You should get a few days warning of a developing problem. Your Boat is probably fast enough to stay out of trouble. Its the N Atlantic even in mid summer it can be ugly. Most Depressions Form up in the Area Just South of Nova Scotia along the Front which is almost always there. Between the warm Atlantic air and the colder arctic air.

More old Mariners tales. A high will push a low a low wont push a high.
My Guess if there is a High of the E US coast you should be good it will keep Them on a southern track. If there is a Low of the E coast recurve is more likely.
Not all the bad weather gets a name. Look out for the term disturbance or wave of Cape Verd. A week or so later its a concern.

I don't know if this is an issue. I would check JIK.
My Insurance covers me offshore all round N America. With a specific Requirement to stay out of areas where named storm are known to occur from June till October. I'd say on a Rumb line from Newfound land to the Azores you were N of the Exclusion. But I'm not an insurance company.
This can be waived I am sure. Otherwise how would boats in Florida get insurance.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 14:31   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Not "normal" but many have done it, both to and from. There is nothing against it, beam reach all the way. From Bermuda, you have to go north then hang a right... from NFLD is downhill and may be able to do in one tack if planned properly..

Nfld to Azores = 1600 miles
Bermuda to Azores = 1900 miles + 600 miles from east coast to Bermuda.

Have you?
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 13:04   #19

Ahoy fellow rag baggers!!!
In the planning stages of sailing from the Great Lakes out of the St. Laurence over to Iceland and then Ireland on our CT 42 Mermaid Ketch. I’m thinking late spring early summer might be the time for this adventure. Please share your opinions. Thank you.
Keelhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 19:53   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I’m considering the possibility of crossing the Atlantic from Newfoundland to Gibraltar in early September. I’d like to hear from anyone who’s done this during September and how was the weather during the trip?

Cheers

Ken
Bad time of year
The Atlantic will be full of hurricanes

Be alert

The only hurricane I’ve been hammered by at sea was on a sept oct passage Halifax Vigo , sw of the azores
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 16:47   #21

Boat: 1974 Pearson 26

Newfoundland is my home province (Although presently based in Montreal). Many people have asked me when’s the best time to visit WRT weather. After the usual caveats (ie: no matter when you go, always pack for 4 seasons...ffs!), I always suggest early to mid August. Once September hits, Dad would always haul the boat out of the water because he said the weather can turn to pure evil anytime after Labor Day. And he was right. It’s the North Atlantic. I certainly have a lot of respect (spelled...F E A R) for that part of the Atlantic ocean. It’s a bear.
FWIW.
Rol1964 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing