Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2019, 12:41   #1

Boat: Bristol 41.1
Semantics, Syntax, and Understanding

While this comes from a thread on Solar Charge Controllers, when I finished writing it I thought it might be more apropos in a more general setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
No, other than FOSS projects
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
but a BM like BMV-712 relay based on SoC can take the bank offline from the alt, or stop the power input to the VR.
Oh, come on! Surely you can add more jargon/abbreviations to make this post entirely unintelligible!

Your fingers can't be so tired such that you are unable to provide actual complete words. And that goes for the rest of you, with your high-falutin' idioms, vernacular and argot!

Seriously, in both written and oral communication, if you wish to be understood by your audience, use commonly understood terms - even if that means "dumbing it down".

As a young engineer many years ago, I learned such a lesson, much to my chagrin, when dealing with an automation system in a school in West Virginia. I couldn't understand why there were continuing issues regarding a "Sequence of Operations" (a narrative describing how various equipment would systematically start, run, interact, etc.), when I had so clearly described this on the blue prints.

After several written responses to the school/custodian/principal to no avail, I personally visited the school to address the problem(s). It turned out that the head Custodian in charge of the school (who originally had been hired many years before to shovel coal into a boiler) could not read!

I then spent the afternoon going over the system in a hands-on manner with the gentleman. Though he could barely read, he was smart and quickly picked up the operating details of the various systems. Problem solved.

As a technical writer, I have also tried to tailor my communications to the intended audience. You write in a different manner when addressing a church building committee, than you do for the Morbidity and Mortality Committee at say, NIH. Occasionally you have to put the hubris aside. I can hurl jargon with the best of them, but if it requires a simplified version, so be it! Know your audience.

And another favorite bit of advice for communicators:
"Eschew excess verbiage"
Mark Twain
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 12:46   #2

Re: Semantics, Syntax, and Understanding

I agree. Often time i do not understand the abreavations
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 16:01   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Also agree.

Another pet peeve is when someone responds to a technical question giving the response in a manner that assumes the OP is also an expert in the subject.

The majority of the time, the OP asked the question because he/she is not an expert otherwise they wouldn't be asking

You got to read the question and from that, try to answer in a manner the OP will understand with their limited knowledge of the subject. Explain it simply or if a more understanding is required, work up to the knowledge in smaller steps.

If you have to use abbreviations, do so only after writing it in full e.g. if needing to use a Three Letter Acronym (TLA) then do it this way before using the TLA.

Not "BTW is a FLA a TLA or just a AFA". Yes, some can translate it but others not. By the way, is a four letter acronym a three letter acronym or just a another f'ing acronym.

Finally, why is so hard for some to use paragraphs. Paragraphs makes reading TTE (ten times easier).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 16:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Also agree.

....Finally, why is so hard for some to use paragraphs. Paragraphs makes reading TTE (ten times easier).

One step at a time, young Luke...

I understand that spelling errors will occur (and I am not the grammar Nazi - have you met my wife?), and that in haste we might not always be clear in our comments. Just take a moment or two to ensure your comments are understood by those who might not be as informed on the subject as you.

Thanks in advance (TIA)
Old 18-09-2019, 17:00   #5

Well...

1 - context. If the thread has been going for a while and readers know it's about solar charge controllers, and models have previously been introduced, then abbreviations shouldn't be a problem later on.

2 - ask for clarification, if something isn't clear. Maybe the commenter isn't aware that not everyone in a thread is up to speed on the jargon.

3 - initiative. I try to look up something new every day. for example FOSS: highlight it, right-click on it, select "Search Google for FOSS"... boom.

A similar thought - should we come down hard every time someone types "your" for "you're", or similar?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 17:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Well...

A similar thought - should we come down hard every time someone types "your" for "you're", or similar?

Hey, hey, hey!!! I didn't go there.
Old 18-09-2019, 17:37   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

+1
I think many of these overly complex, TLA encrusted threads are more for the writers ego than the readers education.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 20:52   #8

I can overlook spelling and I can overlook your and you're; there and their and such like because the meaning is usually clear and in context but too (to? two?) many abbreviations do GUMG (get up my goat)!

EDIT: google has just informed me TLA isn't an acronym, rather it an abbreviation.

Apparently acronyms are pronounced as words e.g. RADAR and SCUBA while abbreviations aren't e.g. GPS.

I never knew that - this thread is useful
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 18-09-2019, 22:08   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
+1
TLA: three letter acronym.
Acronym: noun, an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g. ASCII, NASA ).
TLA and most of the other abbreviations being discussed here are not TLAs.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 22:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
No, but they are Three Letter Abbreviations i.e. TLAs.
Old 18-09-2019, 23:30   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
No, but they are Three Letter Abbreviations i.e. TLAs.

I should have finished with "... according to Paul's definition of TLA".
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 23:39   #12

^^
Old 19-09-2019, 08:22   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I believe they are defined as initialisms.
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 08:33   #14

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I've often thought the same. Here's my take.

If it's obvious from the question the OP (ahem) has no experience then the answers should be simple and direct. All too often the original query is escalated by the experts into a discussion much much more complex than the first person wants or needs. (Start your own damn thread...)

If it's obvious from the question the OP (ahem) has a great deal of experience then have at it. Geek speak all you want. It's probably what makes great threads great.

I can discuss sailing,canvas work, rules of the road, navigation, live aboards, travelling, heads and provisioning at a higher level than I can electronics, or electrical stuff. I know those are my challenge areas, that's why I'm asking the question - don't compound my frustration by talking over my head.

Point being, if the purpose is to help the OP (ahem) then help them at the level at which they ask. Showing off just doesn't cut it IMHO (ahem).
Old 19-09-2019, 08:38   #15

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Oh great thread , I agree the simple language the better , I appreciate that Geeks like to be Geeks , by God my wife will bore me to death with Staistical anaylis of larva of the leech (Dr of Ecology )
But spare a thought for us Dyslexics no matter how much I try I still cant spell yatch
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote